Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a red '07 Sport Classic GT 1000. I'm excited, will ride in a few hours for the first time.

Are the handle bars the same height as the '09 bike? What method is recommended for raising them and what brand shoudl I use?

it's already got Termignioni exhaust and the ecu upgrade, it also has a luggage rack.

If I want to tour on my bike, what do you recommend? Is there a better set of side panniers or trunk bag than what's offered by Ducati? What is recommended for windshield and for a more comfortable seat?

Any thoughts on upgrading the mirrors and maybe adding a GPS?

Any ventured into adding a stereo?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have the full windshield. I hate it. You can have it for half of dealer cost it you decide to get one. It was on the bike less than two hours and is perfect. I have a post here about it somewhere...

Get the comfort seat--makes the biggest difference for time in the saddle. I've done some 6 hour rides on my GT and it only starts to bother me in hour 5. Hour 6 is misery.

Have fun on the new bike. You're going to love it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Congrats on the bike. No comment on the bars, as I actually lowered mine. But I did ride it from Atlanta to San Francisco and back (with a little help from BP Racer and his truck through West Texas, NM, and AZ). And it performed very well as a tourer. I had a Corbin seat made in California while I was there, so I have the Ducati comfort seat for sale. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The great thing about this bike is its versatility. I have tried a couple of shields on the bike. National Cycle Deflector Screen Quick Detach (DX) works OK for highway work, but the bike is fine up to 80 mph without one. I would save the money unless you are planning on high speed touring. I am not a big fan of bar mounted shields. I agree with the lower bars. It really fights wind fatigue better than sitting straight up will. I am looking at this for backrest/storage http://www.ventura-bike.com/fitments.aspx?modelid=168 as most folks who use this set up really like them. The comfort seat is great for long rides and is a good investment. I have a set of CorTech sport luggage, which is a third the price of the Ducati product and works just fine. It would work with the Ventura stuff if you need to leave home for a long time.http://www.cortechperformance.com/xcart/product.php?productid=149&cat=31 http://www.cortechperformance.com/xcart/product.php?productid=148
As for mirrors, I agree, the stock ones could go. I am using Rizoma classics

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/pro...d=183&osCsid=ad7cb724d766c106144ca509c2648928
I would invest in a steering damper first. This is a Kuan bracket (not available any more) with an SD121 Ohlins, which is adjustable.

WASP here at the forum makes one as well, and his stuff is flawless. It is a top mount a a bit more labor intensive to install.
The next thing you want to do is put fork springs and rear shocks on the bike.
I have a WASP tail light, but when the bike goes for the long rides, I use the stock fender/taillight. It is about a 15 minute swap out. I like to be able to go from touring to sport, and this bike does it all.
It does seem to be quite pricey at times, but it is worth it. The bike is a great relaxed puppy on the highway but likes to get pushed hard when you get there.
Enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've done two long trips and a few short campouts on my GT and I can't say enough good things about the Ventura luggage system:

http://www.ventura-bike.com/

Very stable and secure at all speeds and lean angles, etc.

I also found the stock seat comfortable. I put in over 10 hour riding days for over a week.

·
Registered
714 Posts
gotta love a GT .you can go from a touring bike to an out an out houlligan bike.got me an 07 left over and put 7000 plus on in 3months.got the ducati luggage rack for the small trips and the ducati bags for the long ones with the wife,its got the little fairing from ducati and that helps a lot{thanks to barfer}I havent changed a thing as far as mods and IMO it dont need a thing,600 miles in one day and not one complaint,try it youll like it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
gotta love a GT .you can go from a touring bike to an out an out houlligan bike.got me an 07 left over and put 7000 plus on in 3months.got the ducati luggage rack for the small trips and the ducati bags for the long ones with the wife,its got the little fairing from ducati and that helps a lot{thanks to barfer}I havent changed a thing as far as mods and IMO it dont need a thing,600 miles in one day and not one complaint,try it youll like it.
The gt is growing on me a bit. I was once a hater... now i believe i have come to the light. What year was the creme color offered?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Are the handle bars the same height as the '09 bike? What method is recommended for raising them and what brand shoudl I use?
Same height. The Ducati "Comfort Bars" are much higher. They are only acceptable (IMO) with the full windshield. If you go wth the Ducati windshield then you may like it. I found it too high.

On raising the stock bars, you'll just have to look around. When I did mine there were few options available, but there may be more now. DMCTRuby came up with this idea for an adjustable height change:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=39618&highlight=raise+bars

I did it this way:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=42222&highlight=bars

If I want to tour on my bike, what do you recommend? Is there a better set of side panniers or trunk bag than what's offered by Ducati?
Check GIVI.

What is recommended for windshield and for a more comfortable seat?
Windshield is personal preference. Few on this board like the Ducati accessory windshield, but it's just not the kind of thing Ducati people usually go for. None of the changes you are talking about really are, so you have to take all the personal opinions with a grain of salt. Even among people who want the same kind of windshield, satisfaction varies a lot depending on rider height. What's perfect for one is a lot of buffeting for another.

On the seat, I agree with the Comfort Seat recommendation. Add a sheepskin cover to it and you will be as comfortable as you can be without going to a Russell Day-long. They make the most comfortable touring seat you can buy, but it's a god-awful ugly thing to put on a Ducati.

Any thoughts on upgrading the mirrors and maybe adding a GPS?
Mirrors are another very personal thing. There are TONS of options out there: bigger, smaller, bar-end, etc.. You'll just have to start looking and see what you like. I can't help you on a GPS.

Any ventured into adding a stereo?
You have got to be frigging kidding me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
update

having ridden it for 2 full days now...

I am not going to fuss with the bars. Coming from a cruiser, I was a tad intimidated by the lower bars. The truth is that the seating position is excellent, my hands are comfortable and the café racer look would dramatically decrease with raised bars. My dealer has a set in stock that they'd love to unload at a discount, but I doubt I'll buy them.

Windshield wise, the breeze does make it easier to ride leaning forward. It'd be nice to find a little fairing with a small windshield, similar to the one on the biposto. Something like this, but painted... http://store.proitalia.com/96752006b.html

Unless I get much better ideas from this group, here is my action plan:

1. Ducati Side Panniers
  2. Ducati Comfort Seat
  3. Givi tank bag with the map pocket and the tank bag cover that the bag clips to
  4. Givi soft bag to mount on the luggage rack

Any thoughts on a helmet that matches a beautiful red GT 1000 well? Recommendations on a "mini fairing" ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the tailbag would be Givi T464
tank bag Givi t426 or t413

any thoughts on Givi and/or the Ducati side panniers are great appreciated. I'm quite excited, this is an amazing motorcycle and the sound with the termignonis is like a Lambo. I love my BMW Z4 3.0si, but the infatuation I've developed for this bike is unparalleled.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
2007 GT1000 newbie here too!

I bought a used GT this year and I have the Ducati infatuation too. As a longtime BMW guy, this is my impression of the saddlebags. They look great, and work pretty good. Capacity is limited and they can get out of shape by opening and closing daily(I use my bike as a commuter and a tripper) and overstuffing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a used GT this year and I have the Ducati infatuation too. As a longtime BMW guy, this is my impression of the saddlebags. They look great, and work pretty good. Capacity is limited and they can get out of shape by opening and closing daily(I use my bike as a commuter and a tripper) and overstuffing.
Hmm... Thank you. I'm a BMW guy too. I love my Z4 (it's the 4th Bimmer I've owned) and almost bought an R1200 R instead of this GT (the Beemer is better in many ways, but the GT is GORGEOUS). One of the things that I loved about the Bimmer is the high level of practicality that its panniers offer.

10 litres, as the Ducati literature says they offer, is very small. My thinking is that if I can figure out how to use the helmet lock, I won't been to stick a helmet in a bag. That leaves the tail bag for tennis shoes and underwear, tank bag for toiletries and maps, and the panniers for a few shirts and spare pants, also leaving room in case I take off my jacket because it's too hot.

Thank you for the information. I'm willing to look at other panniers, but I think leather looks a lot better than the sythetic stuff.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The Ducati panniers are very stylish, but the teardrop shape is difficult to pack. I've learned to put small things (socks, t-shirts) into the corners so the larger stuff like shoes can fit in the middle. I don't recommend using the handles on top. I've seen them pull out, and the top is largely secured by velcro anyway- it's better to pick up & move the bags with two hands.

I've always been a fan of the Eclipse tank bag, I'm still struggling with proper fitment to the Ducati. But it's just the right size, and really well made.

We've done four years of touring 2-up on our GT- make sure to adjust the rear preload and pack lightly!:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How easy is the pre-load adjustment? Any recommended tools? I weight 240lbs and will add another 10 pounds in stuff. what setting do u recommend? how about when i add a passenger anywhere between 100lbs and 140lbs?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
How easy is the pre-load adjustment? Any recommended tools? I weight 240lbs and will add another 10 pounds in stuff. what setting do u recommend? how about when i add a passenger anywhere between 100lbs and 140lbs?
You need new shocks.

The stockers are poor but adequate for someone MUCH lighter. For you, you really need to get new shocks sprung for your weight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need new shocks.

The stockers are poor but adequate for someone MUCH lighter. For you, you really need to get new shocks sprung for your weight.
New shocks? What brand? Would forks need changing too?

Jeff, what setting should I be using at for the preload adjustment?
Which Elcipse tank bag

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
New shocks? What brand? Would forks need changing too?

Jeff, what setting should I be using at for the preload adjustment?
Which Elcipse tank bag
Major has it right, you'll be happiest & safest with better shocks that have appropriate springs for you. Hagon makes relatively affordable quality shocks and so does Works Performance.Check here: http://www.customsportclassics.com/.

You'll need to by a spanner to adjust the stock shock, I spent $10 at a local shop. I weigh about 190 w/gear, and around town use either the lightest preload setting or the first step. With no luggage, the first step is OK for 2-up, but 2-up with luggage needs at least the third step.

The forks can be tuned with different weights of oil & aftermarket springs. Many threads on this subject if you search. Ideally, have your bike set up front and rear at the same time.

I've got the "standard" Eclipse bag: http://www.eclipseluggage.com/luggage/201.html.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts