Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on taking a trip this summer on my 748 monoposto from Colorado, through most of California, Vegas and home. I'm looking for any helpful advice regarding touring on this bike. Obviously its not the ideal touring bike, but it sounds like plenty of people have taken some pretty serious trips on their 748/916/996/998's. I'm not sure what I will do regarding luggage, I plan on traveling VERY light, but am considering getting some sort of tail bag. Any ideas for bags that will work on the monoposto? I've checked out the Ventura, but its a little pricey. I will definently have a backpack and a tank bag, but a tail bag would be helpful. Should I be concerned about overheating in the heat? The bike just had its 6K mile service completed as well as the coolant expansion tank being replaced. Any advice you can give me would be most appreciated!

·
comrade moderator
26,801 Posts
Bar Risers and Tylenol would be my two suggestions.

Sounds like it's gonna be a cool trip! You are the man! I still have a kink in my neck from an 8 hour ride three weeks ago!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Make sure you check your route for gas station-distance and opening hours on the week-end in rural areas. No fun to get stranded empty if you are traveling by yourself. The range of the SBKs is quite marginal...

Good luck for your trip - sounds like fun.

Peace,
Geronimo

·
Registered
161 Posts
no advice striclty for the ducati. but i would invest HEAVILY into a pricey pair of bicycling shorts. the "fruity" ones that the tour de france riders wear. the padding is in all of the right places. (if you know what i mean. lol) and it will fit under leathers/jeans ect.....

ear plugs,
frequent water stops.

·
Registered
263 Posts
1000+ miles each way on a buzzy 748 with no throttle-lock? meh, no way...

You'll be hating life after about 3 hours and contemplating suicide not long after that...

Bar-risers and Corbin seat would be _required_ IMHO. I remember some excruciating outings on my 748; my ass still hurts in fact. I used to wear thick cotton gym shorts under my jeans to combat the pain, but in the end, there is nothing you can do... the stock seat is hiddeous for that kind of a trip. Hell, my K12's stock seat gets uncomfortable after about 4 hours... and that's without having to lean over and hold the throttle open since it has cruise.

I think something like 800mg Motrins and/or Tylenol#3 would also be required. Trust me, I speak from looooong experience. :think:

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
If it were me (and it will be--on the 998), I'd just bungee a dry bag on the back. That and the backpack will do it. That's all I need when I go camping.

bruce19

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
you're a good person, the bike and the trip is going to be fantastic! out of everything, no matter what you do at all costs take highway 36 up near Eureka, between the 5 and 1 freeways. i've been all over the U.S. and that highway, the turns, climbs, descents change of environement is epic. no exageration, epic!
in colorad take highway 550 between montrose and durango, ohhhh so nice. if you can take 150 east just south of durango to del norte, find Slumgolian Pass. maybe you know all this.

70 west/east isn't bad, it goes strait to twistie, strait to twists for eternity, and is beautiful.

i'm on a 748 and in september am going from Austin Texas to north carolina, riding around the east coast and the mountains some, then heading home.

for luguage i'm wearing my equipment, leathers etc. with shorts and a t-shirt underneath, a backpack with 2 changes of shirt, socks, and undies and a pair of tennis shoes, a book, and a water bottle. getting 2-3 days out of each pair before i toss em, then replace them at a walmart/target/academy when i need to. nothing else. i like ease.

for the bike i've managed to fit the necessary tools to do everything but pull the heads, drop the engine, and remove the rear axle nuts. all under my bipo seat. also i will have gasket sealant and tire plugs and CO2 airpump and chain lube in my backpack pockets.

ear plugs.

the biker shorts is a good idea, goin to get some now, you can wash them in the shower. subtract 2 pair of shorts.

you may want the bar risers, but you can manage without them. your wrists will fatigue if you haven't trained them for long distance, 2 days they'll piss you off, by the 4th they'll be fine.

i strongly strongly suggest jogging. i keep between 4 and 8 miles every other day and have no problems sitting on my 748 for multiple hours. i think 3 miles 3 times a week would be enough. sounds kinda silly to jog, but i've held up on my 748 against an RT 1100, granted i stopped for gas ever 143 miles.

if more comes to mind i'll tell you...so i'll tell you something later

·
Registered
161 Posts
its a time killer but frequent stops. maybe half tank of gas or so.. to water up ect. will let you stretch out too....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I use a cortech sport tailbag when I take trip on my 996... It works perfect also I would recommend some type of cuise contol or throttle lock. I have a cramp buster.. it slips on the throttle grip so you can rest your palm on it to hold the gas open. It work well but I would recommend something better if your planning on more than 400-500 miles per day. I would also use a camel back if I well planning a trip anywhere in the south west right now. It was 100 degrees here today with about 8% humidity. I have never found it necessary to use bar risers or anything like that but Im only 5'8" so the Duc fits me pretty well

Sounds like fun.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
I´ve done some longer riding and there are afew keys to making it.

Most have already been posted. All good tips..

The key is to make you backpack light. Even a light load will start to become heavy after a few hours of riding. Keep the heavy stuff like shoes and so on in your tankbag/tailbag.

Alot of people i know usually have a drybag and just bungy it to the rearend. Get some rubbermat to keep your tail from getting scratched and to keep the tailbag inplace.

Your wrists are going to get sore unless you have risers, so look into those. It´s not a must, but it helps alot! I usually just wear my leathers with a sports T-shirt and underpants under it. The more clothing you have under your leathers the more uncomfortable you will be, unless its cold.

Overheating isn´t an issue if your not planning on doing city´s. Look into the manuall fan switch that Buckelew posted in the Hall of wisdom if your worried.

Look into some form of throttle lock or atleast a helper (lika a little plastic paddle you slide on to the throttle. That´s the thing that bothers me the most when riding along a freeway during extended periods.

And also..
Look into getting a reflective vest and triangel for you and your backpack. Since your going to be riding long hours, you may loose concentration. Having the reflective stuff will help decrease the chance of some poor slob pulling out infront of you.

Other then that.. Just make sure the bike is in good working order.
do a lap around the bike with hexnut and wrench to make sure all bolts are tight, grease up the chain and doublecheck oil and coolant. Make sure that the bolts on the sidestand are tight (Been there - dropped a fully loaded bike - sidestand was loose). Also charge up your battery. Make sure all the lights work.

Some other suggestions
*Get a GPS
*Get a radardetector
*Get a camelback for fluid
*Zip-tie an extra key somewhere on your bike or sow it into the linging of your leathers. Trust me on that. No, I´ll not tell you why.
*Increase the airpressure in your tires.
*look inte a higher windshield! I use double-bubble and LOVE it.

I hope it works out good for ya!

Here is a pic of my "ULTRA-HIGH" windscreen

//amullo

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
There was a guy, about a year or two ago, who rode cross-country on his (red) 748. He even put together a website with all his pictures and stuff. I have no idea where the addy is, but I think he frequented this site for a while.......or maybe it was www.clubdesmo.com . I want to say he posted here and it may be somewhere in the archives.

Edit: I just checked the archives, and it wasn't there. How do I get to the posts that were made before the forum upgrades? Can I even get to the posts that were made 1-3 years ago?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I haven't done a long tour on the sbk yet but I have done several long tours and this is my 2 cents: jeans are bad. I could stay in the saddle several hours longer if I wore pants that were not made of cotton. (This assumes you won't be wearing leathers)

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
Here's some advice...

Map or post up your route and see how many fellow ducati.ms folks you can hook up with for some chit chattin over a bite to eat or some ridin'. That'd be cool!!! Texas is a little outta your way though so maybe Rainman and I can catch ya on another trip.

·
Registered
523 Posts
a breathable/gore tex pant works great for long days on the road... i like my aerostitch darien pants... I've never toured on my 998 as I just got it, but I have toured on my BMW (did 3600 mi. in 6 days last August on my GS, easy), my tips?

1) being in physical shape is helpful
2) stay hydrated
3) avoid caffeine
4) travel light, you'll have more fun
5) when gettin' gas, check your tires, and keep your headlights clean
7) definitely plan your gas stops
8) avoid traveling at hyperspeeds for too long, it will tire you out
9) definitely wear ear plugs
10) avoid riding at night

they sound like common sense, but many people don't follow these simple tips...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
RocketJohn said:
a breathable/gore tex pant works great for long days on the road... i like my aerostitch darien pants... I've never toured on my 998 as I just got it, but I have toured on my BMW (did 3600 mi. in 6 days last August on my GS, easy), my tips?

1) being in physical shape is helpful
2) stay hydrated
3) avoid caffeine
4) travel light, you'll have more fun
5) when gettin' gas, check your tires, and keep your headlights clean
7) definitely plan your gas stops
8) avoid traveling at hyperspeeds for too long, it will tire you out
9) definitely wear ear plugs
10) avoid riding at night

they sound like common sense, but many people don't follow these simple tips...
#8& #10 Are Very true! Especially when you are out in the middle of no-where. Due to the wild life and lack of illumination provided by the SBK headlights, riding at night is just dangerous. As far as gear goes I where my leather jacket and a pair of Joe Rocket Mercury leather pants. The fit like jeans but give great wind protection as well as the proper padding incase of an accident. Also I would stay away from carrying a backpack if at all possible. Its fine for a few hours but after that can become really tiring, even if its empty it will still catch wind. Here is a link to the tailbag I use.http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/azmotorsports_1896_40570338
It is pretty cheap as far a luggage goes, but works really well.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
betarace said:
That's the one I was trying to find! Thanks!

Will_7926 said:
I have done several long tours and this is my 2 cents: jeans are bad. I could stay in the saddle several hours longer if I wore pants that were not made of cotton. (This assumes you won't be wearing leathers)
Jeans have never bothered me, unless they are wet. I've ridden cross-country and stayed in the saddle for 14.5 hours without any issues......then, again, it was on a Harley and not a sportbike. I did ride for 11.5 hours on my ST2 while wearing jeans......but I was more concerned with freezing to death than comfort (I left the house and it was 29 degress outside).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts