Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I bought a 2010 848 with only 30 miles about a month ago. I've noticed that the bike doesn't crank up the easiest. It takes a few turn overs to crank up and during that process that starter sounds weak? Or maybe it's time for a new battery? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Battery if it hasn't been on a tender and the bike sits a lot or for a while. My guess.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Crack the throttle open a bit when cranking. It helps get fuel past the throttle plates, which close completely on these.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Closes completely? Wow! Did not know that. Okay. I'm thinking about replacing the battery soon anyways. I'll just feel better knowing my battery is brand new and reliable. And yeah, I noticed when I opened the throttle a little that it cranks up easier. I just thought with it being fuel-injected that that wouldn't be necessary. Guess not.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Let me know if the battery makes a difference for you I've wondering the same thing about my 848.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Closes completely? Wow! Did not know that. Okay. I'm thinking about replacing the battery soon anyways. I'll just feel better knowing my battery is brand new and reliable. And yeah, I noticed when I opened the throttle a little that it cranks up easier. I just thought with it being fuel-injected that that wouldn't be necessary. Guess not.

The idle air comes through an ECU controlled valve that bypasses the butterflies, and the injectors are above them. So it's difficult to get enough fuel through to start quickly. Another alternative would be to hold the throttle open when switching the ignition on so the priming shot goes down into the intakes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does the 848 series have a throttle idle (rev adjustment on left control) like the 749?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
Does the 848 series have a throttle idle (rev adjustment on left control) like the 749?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
No... fast idle is controlled by the ECU

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same issue on my 848. The local mechanic synced the TBs, reset the TPS but still the problem persisted. Changed battery to a ballistic 8 cell and she starts as soon as I touch the button everytime.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Have reputable garage check your battery and if it checks out OK, then have them give it a proper full charge. I found with my Battery Tender Jr. that it didn't fully charge my battery then maintain it, it would only charge the battery %80 or so then maintain it at this level. Not good.
A charger called a "Battery Minder" was suggested and so far I found it fully charges my YUASA and maintains that charge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts