Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, new here.

i've been looking for a touchup paint for the metallic silver ST---anyone know a source?

thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Danger Wil Robinson!!

OK, well maybe not "danger" - but be cautious. Depending on WHICH silver metallic your bike is, ColorRite may not be able to find it - not that they mght not have a matching color, but they may not have a cross reference, and/or the one they have on the website may be incorrect.

I just went through this with my '04 ST3, which is what Ducati calls "Ducati Light Silver Metallic" - however, the color that ColorRite ships out for that color when you use the online search tool is a VERY different color than the factory color.

Upon writing to ColorRite about this, they asked me for the Ducati part number of the paint. I supplied that. They then wrote back and actually told me that I'd be better off getting the paint matched locally since they had several "Ducati Silver Metallic" colors in their system, but didn't have a good idea of which ones matched what bikes.

I'm not sure if that means that they haven't gotten good information from Ducati or have a hard time keeping data organized in their own systems. From what I've heard, the "standard" Ducati red and Ducati yellow are a spot-on match every time. I guess the silver colors are a littel different from year to year??

Anyway, just wanted to voice my experiece on this one.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MisterEd said:
Danger Wil Robinson!!

OK, well maybe not "danger" - but be cautious. Depending on WHICH silver metallic your bike is, ColorRite may not be able to find it - not that they mght not have a matching color, but they may not have a cross reference, and/or the one they have on the website may be incorrect.

I just went through this with my '04 ST3, which is what Ducati calls "Ducati Light Silver Metallic" - however, the color that ColorRite ships out for that color when you use the online search tool is a VERY different color than the factory color.

Upon writing to ColorRite about this, they asked me for the Ducati part number of the paint. I supplied that. They then wrote back and actually told me that I'd be better off getting the paint matched locally since they had several "Ducati Silver Metallic" colors in their system, but didn't have a good idea of which ones matched what bikes.

I'm not sure if that means that they haven't gotten good information from Ducati or have a hard time keeping data organized in their own systems. From what I've heard, the "standard" Ducati red and Ducati yellow are a spot-on match every time. I guess the silver colors are a littel different from year to year??

Anyway, just wanted to voice my experiece on this one.
yeah, i didn't see it on colorrite's website.

maybe i will try to buff it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a silver '05 ST3; recently ordered the colorrite pen from fast by ferraci's website; the silver was slightly darker than the fairing; this could've been due to limitations of using a pen that's basically a small paint brush.

So, I went to a local autozone and tried to estimate which of their 7+ different shades of silver might be the closest. I went with "Dupli-color Import Auto Spray Subeam silver (M) E8801104". about 2/3 of my upper left fairing was scratched just through the surface coating of paint, and there were a few places that went deeper. I realized that spot spray painting was not going to cut it, as the blend wasn't good enough. so i taped off the decal, sanded the gloss cover off of the majority of the upper fairing w/ 800 grit auto sand paper, and put on about 7 light coats of the spray, waiting sufficiently in between each. It came out much better than expected; at the least, it will serve as a really good temporary fix while I contemplate an entire new paint job. the surface scratches are completely unnoticeable; the next step will be to find a quality gloss protectant coating product, which should make the blend a bit better.

regards,
Luke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts