Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made the mistake of thinking the 'old screwdriver trick' was a better idea than driving to the dealer for an oil filter wrench. Damage was to the point of making the wrench ineffective when I conceded that I needed it.

Lesson learned. DOH!

(Really, I was trying to delete the thread...but can only edit.)

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I had to use a screwdriver on my first oil change, no dramas really.

Craig

·
Registered
954 Posts
Gut the filter, there will be six holes in its base - open up a pair of long-nose pliers and stick the tips in two opposite holes... stick the ring end of a spanner/wrench on one handle and push the filter round by using the body of the wrench on the other handle! :) :think:

Or buy a K&N oil filter, NO dramas! :D

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
+1

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
Turning the proper way for removal....
Has ben done before...

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Get the jawed filter wrench from desmotimes or Harbor Freight. I found the K&N nut will round off sometimes on removal, so the wrench comes on handy.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I never believed in the screwdriver method. The crescent wrench always works. In fact, one time the POS bolthead welded to the top of the K&N oil filters was rounded and stripped. The crescent wrench did the job easily.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
470Four for the win!

Though it was tough going for a few attempts. Turns out angling that wrench at a diagonal across the plier handles (higher on the inside handle) provided better leverage than flat across the bottom. Worked like a charm.

Thanks folks (as always.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts