Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the formula an insurance company uses to determine if a bike is totaled? I don't think I have any frame or engine damage, but I believe the swingarm may need to be replaced and when I priced out some things using a Ducati parts fiche, I came up with about $6800 worth of parts.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

'08 Hyper S

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am not sure what they go by, but they totaled my multi a couple years back. I went to the garage where it was towed and from looking at it, it seemed just all plastic. The engine, the frame everything seemed to have been fine. they might total them easier than we all think.
F-

I had pictures of it on my ex's computer, but she's gone and won't send them to me. :think:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think it's either 75 or 80% of current value.

PS- That also includes the labor to put it back together, which isn't cheap.

·
Registered
337 Posts
All depends on your insurance and the type of moto you have. Insurance co. uses percentage of all costs associated in fixing your moto. Some will declare a vehicle salvage if the damages exceeds 51%, some at 80%. Good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Depends on the estimated cost of damage. You can keep your bike even if they "total" it out. The insurance company will just pay you the difference between what they get it for it at auction and blue book, minus your deductible. Unfortunately you wont really know your options until you start the claim process.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Total?

The insurance companies are pretty sharp on the value of your bike. If they do total it a good indiction of how bad it is, will be the sell back price. My ST3 was hit by a car in April, I bought the bike back for $150.00 on the advice of my lawyer. It's damaged so badly that I think I might have spend $150.00 for a taillight, that's the only good part on it.
Also there's an insurance scam where guys get crashed body work and parts put them on their bike and claimed they crashed, so some insurance companies are very uneasy about selling back to the owner now because of that, enough so they won't even provide where the bike goes for auction to the owner.

Ted

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually don't want the bike at all and I'm hoping it's totalled. I don't want out of bikes entirely, but I don't think the hyper is really me. At the very least it's not a great "only" bike but would be a welcome player in my stable (if I could afford a stable).

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Typically the "total" comes at 70-75% of the bike's total value based on NADA and recent comps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Totaled....

in some simple cases if the is a scratch across a frame weld = totaled.

hope everyone is ok...

any used farkles for sale ?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in some simple cases if the is a scratch across a frame weld = totaled.

hope everyone is ok...

any used farkles for sale ?:rolleyes:
I have a woodcraft clutch cover, black with a red slider plate. This part was untouched in the crash.

I also have a set of bar end sliders and frame sliders that I ordered but did not get to me in time to get installed before this wreck. I got them from Motovation and I'm going to see if I can just return them since they were never mounted.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
How it worked for the car

Does anyone know the formula an insurance company uses to determine if a bike is totaled? I don't think I have any frame or engine damage, but I believe the swingarm may need to be replaced and when I priced out some things using a Ducati parts fiche, I came up with about $6800 worth of parts.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

'08 Hyper S
I wrecked my Mini and was close to having it totaled. Also, another determing factor was the type of damage. Front-end damage is almost always a total, from what they said.

The way it was explained to me is: if the total amount of repair cost => 20% of the cars value, then they consider it a loss.

So, if your bike was worth $1,000 and the repairs were $200, it could be totaled. I thought the %age would have to be closer to 50% or 80% but I guess not.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I can't say for sure but I just had a friend with a 4 runner that had 16k in damage and the book value was not a lot higher and they fixed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts