Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to the board and am asking this on behalf of a friend who is the proud new owner of a 1000ds SS. What are the performance advantages of a total loss ignition system for racing? How do you go about setting it up? My friend has bought this bike specifically for racing and track days. Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
lilroy said:
What are the performance advantages of a total loss ignition system for racing? How do you go about setting it up?
Total loss ignition eliminates the alternator and related electrics for charging the
battery. Along with the weight reduction by eliminating the alternator, you get
the added benefit of removing the rotating mass of the alternator from the end of
the crankshaft, allowing the engine to spin up faster. The battery runs all electrics
needed and must be recharged after each usage.

To set it up, take out the crank and remove the alternator from it, then remove
all the related electrics of the charging system, and put everything back together.;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm not sure its worth the weight you'll save. Remember, you need to use a larger battery to make up for the lack of alternator.

I think the better move is to get a smaller battery (saves 3 lbs) and the Corsa 280w alternator, which saves another 2-3 lbs (I'm told), half of which is reciprocating.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Also keep in mind that 1 hp = 746Watts. So if you're only using, say, 200W to run the bike, it's 2/7ths of 1 hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts