Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I've already started a thread about my top triple clamp having a crack in it. I asked a couple of questions about screw/bolt torque values on the triple clamp and I didn't receive a response so I decided to address it again with a new thread. The bike is an 03 999R with the number plaque. I've already ordered a new clamp from Star Twin in the Netherlands, what I need now are the correct torque values for the three screws that attach the triple clamp to the Ohlins forks. The factory manual is vague when it comes to matching part names in the body of the manual to the section regarding the torque values, it's confusing. I'm looking for the value for the two pinch bolts, one each to secure the clamp to the forks and a third screw/bolt that pinches the rear of the upper clamp which is located on the side of the clamp under the steering damper. I believe the three screws are 8x1.25.

Attachments

Premium Member
Tighten till it cracks then back off half a turn. 馃榿
Sorry John, couldn鈥檛 help myself. Not at work at the moment so I can鈥檛 look in the manual. I鈥檓 sure someone will know.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i would use 20 on all. manual probably says 22.
Under section C3 for torque values, the listed "steering head screw" made sense to me and described the two screws that secure the left and right side of the steering head to the Ohlins forks. Many other parts descriptions weren't as clear cut, confusion set in for me when a part description in the body of the shop manual didn't line up with the parts described in the tor of a part that made sense compared to others that don't coincide with the descriptions of the parts in the body of the manual or lacked clarification of what screw we are talking about. The screws the Ducati torque value section refers to are the left and right ones on the steering head, they are 8x1.25 and recommended torque of 23Nm* (with an asterisk). The asterisk is the reason why I want to be absolutely accurate because it means "critical point for dynamic safety". Tightening torque tolerance must be Nm + or - 5%.

I'm not 100% sure about the third screw, the one at the rear of the steering head that holds the ring nut in place, the ring nut connects to the steering shaft. I believe Ducati includes the third screw as having the same torque value as the above two screws? Or, could the third screw be called the steering tube retaining screw as referenced in the torque value section? It has the same dimensions as the two upper steering head screws, 8x1.25, but the torque recommendation is 22Nm* instead of 23Nm*. I'm inclined to believe the third screw is equal to the aforementioned steering head screws in terms of torque recommendation and purpose. For all I know, the steering tube retaining screw Ducati refers to could be the screws that tighten the steering tube around the steering shaft. Again, I wish they would clarify and describe these parts better and make sure the descriptions of the parts match those in the body of the manual to the parts detailed in the torque value section of the shop manual. Doing this would clear up a lot of confusion, especially for a non-gearhead like me.

Below is the new 999R triple clamp/steering head I ordered from Ducati dealer Star Twin Motors in the Netherlands. I emailed them my needs and was immediately contacted by Wieger Heukels and from that point on I can't tell you how responsive he was and committed to getting the part from Ducati Italy. In fact, he ordered it just based on my verbal request, no payment required at that time. The order process was a breeze, shipping was calculated into the cost of the part and knowing how much I saved it was an easy decision on my part.

The steering head came well packaged and arrived as scheduled. Wieger even included a complimentary keychain as a gesture of thanks for doing business with him. If any of you are looking for Ducati factory parts and in my case, I saved quite a lot, consider Star Twin Motors as an option. They are first class.

Note the pilot holes for the number plaque on the right side of the clamp. I was happy to see this knowing I won't have any issues with aligning the original plaque once I remove it from the original cracked part. That will be the next phase of this project and I hope I don't screw it up!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
Per 2004 MY 999R factory manual:

Top 23Nm
Bottom 14Nm
Handlebar 25Nm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get the top figure of 23Nm and the handlebar at 25Nm, but what is the bottom 14Nm part exactly? Thanks

Premium Member
Don鈥檛 stress about the pinch bolt torque. Just nip it up. It really just stops the bearing nut turning and adds more clamping area. People always think that pinch or clamping bolts have to be brutally tightened. Not the case. Much more than a hardish鈥 nip doesn鈥檛 do a whole lot to the clamping force.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
This was additional information and is the torque for the lower triple.

OK, then I'm assuming the 23Nm applies to all three of the upper triple clamp bolts? I think that is correct and that is the way I'm going with it. Thanks

Registered
OK, then I'm assuming the 23Nm applies to all three of the upper triple clamp bolts? I think that is correct and that is the way I'm going with it. Thanks

The 23Nm only apply to the outer fork bolts. Idk about the center bolt. Def not 24Nm!

Registered
PS: there is a down load for the service manual somewhere, with all the values. I googled it but unfortunately don鈥檛 have the link anymore.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
The 23Nm only apply to the outer fork bolts. Idk about the center bolt. Def not 24Nm!

OK, thanks for that info. I'm a way out to make the switch and that allowed me to catch your post before doing anything. I still haven't sourced the two fluted rivets that attach the plaque to the triple clamp. I asked the one member who posted the source in another related thread, but he has not gotten back to me after trying to contact him a couple of times.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
PS: there is a down load for the service manual somewhere, with all the values. I googled it but unfortunately don鈥檛 have the link anymore.

I have the 04 Ducati shop manual, but the problem I have with it is ambiguous parts descriptions on many parts. But in the case of the top triple fork screws, Ducati's description sounds good, saying "steering head screw". But that didn't satisfy me completely because it could imply the rear screw could be considered a steering head screw could it not? After all, it is part of the steering head. Below the steering head screw torque values there are other parts mentioned that one or two of them could be the rear steering head screw, one of which says, "steering tube retaining screw". This one Ducati recommends 22Nm*. I have to do some more follow up on this issue just to make sure.

Registered
I have the 04 Ducati shop manual, but the problem I have with it is ambiguous parts descriptions on many parts. But in the case of the top triple fork screws, Ducati's description sounds good, saying "steering head screw". But that didn't satisfy me completely because it could imply the rear screw could be considered a steering head screw could it not? After all, it is part of the steering head. Below the steering head screw torque values there are other parts mentioned that one or two of them could be the rear steering head screw, one of which says, "steering tube retaining screw". This one Ducati recommends 22Nm*. I have to do some more follow up on this issue just to make sure.
I looked at my Diavel manual and my 1098 manual and unless i'm missing something they both describe the "top yoke bolt" at 22Nm. with no mention of the steering tube retainer, which i take as the centre yoke clamping point on the machined steering stem cap i would say run with that 22Nm, note too that belter said to be careful not to over tighten it as the triple clamp can crack there if overtightened, 22Nm is not much, that like the outer yoke bolts rely on a fair amount of surface contact and friction combined with the lower yoke to keep everything in place. Too much torque will distort your fork tubes.

Premium Member
The Haynes manual for the 9*6 bikes indicates 20-24NM for the "steering stem clamp bolt". I'd call it 22 NM +/- 10%

Seeing as how the lower triple, stem and stem nut are the same part number on the 999 as it is on the 9*6, it's probably the same torque value.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
Ducati sure doesn't make it easy for owners to understand what part they are talking about. Why they don't put a little effort into describing a screw in the manual portion instead of just calling it a screw and leaving the owner to figure out what ffing screw they mean in the torque values section. They apparently got it right with "steering head screw" but don't describe it as such in the manual. As for the rear steering head screw, who in the hell knows? As loony 888 indicated, Belter said the rear triple can crack if you go too tight. I know because my upper right triple cracked, but that was a year after I had done anything to it. I don't put many miles on the bike, that's probably is why it didn't crack sooner. If Ducati was just a little more clear about part names and assigned torque values then overtightening any screws could be minimized.

I'm confident 24Nm is the correct value for the individual single screw at each fork. Ducati makes a point that the screws are critical and torque must be spot on with little variance. I'm still unsure about the lower screw and for that I'll call around to a couple dealers and see if they know for sure.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry XRacer for not getting back to you sooner, no excuses. Thanks for the section of the shop manual, however, I have it already. I've been sidetracked by medical issues, but I finally have my hip surgery scheduled for April 2nd. The second issue involves my back, but the good news is my spine surgeon told me yesterday I didn't need surgery on my spine. However, he doesn't know why I'm suffering leg pain so off to the neurologist I go. Problem I've faced with both conditions is differing opinions by six doctors I've seen, three for each issue. One will say you need double hip replacement while another said arthroscopic hip surgery is called for. The third was in the middle, but leaning replacement as a cure. I got different opinions regarding back surgery as well.

I went on for over a year and decided on hip replacement, but a couple things made me change my mind to arthroscopic hip surgery. The first was seeing those big joint bones for big dogs at Petsmart. I imagined those were my hip joints so I decided I wanted to keep them as long as possible. I read somewhere that fracturing your hip or trauma is not good if you have artificial hip joints. I've already fractured my left pelvis in a motorcycle crash and sustained a severe dislocation of my right hip playing football that put me in a full-body cast for a year. Just like my previous motor crash, my biggest goal was to get back on my 999S post-rehabilitation after undergoing four operations due to the motorcycle crash in 05. I bought the bike just before crashing my Honda 600RR and had ridden it only once. When the time came after almost three years of rehab, on a beautiful sunny day I threw my leg over the 999S and rode up the Sierra Nevada mountain range, it was an epic ride. My motivation is the same this time, to recover as quickly as I can so I can ride the 999R, just as I did with the 999S.

I have over a month before my first hip operation and I put out some feelers to a couple buddies to do a small group ride to a desert location sometime in March. I hope I can pull it off because this time I'll be on a Goldwing and not the Harley Road King I had in early 2018 when we did Death Valley. I wouldn't mind going back to Death Valley, that place is mind-blowing. The Road King and my buddy's Softail, even more so are not touring bikes. When we got back sore and beaten, we sold our Harleys and bought Goldwings.

For some reason I got carried away off-topic, very loosely related to the topic of different opinions regarding the torque values on the triple clamp, man, that was a stretch! I've decided to start soon on the project by removing the front fairing for better access. I'll then take the clamp to my brothers because he has a drill press. We can then drill from the bottom and punch out the two rivets or driver screws that hold down the plaque.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts