Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am getting my new clutch hub in a few days, and I realized that i don't know how tight I need to get that hub.

Anyone here change a clutch hub before? I know I need an impact wrench to remove the old nut, and I've been told to make sure put a rag on it so I don't cut up my hand. Any other advise? Oh, and do you know what size socket I need?

Oh, and what is the torque value for the little spring retainers? I've been told that it is very low... like 6-7 ft/lbs.

Thanks.

-Russell

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I just found a torque value pdf file. Thanks, so I think I'm set for the torque value which is 190Nm.. (sigh... which is how much in ft/lbs?) for the dry clutch nut. And 6Nm for the clutch spring bolts..

OK, now to find out how big a socket I need, and how to make sure my bike doesn't go rolling when I torque on that big clutch nut.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
On the clutch hub, put the tranny in 6th, have a buddy lock the rear wheel and impact off. Assemble the same way; impact that biotch on. 190nm is around 160ft/lb and is a PITA to accomlish without a very good hub-holding tool and big cheater-bars. Your impact is probably rated to 200ft/lb anyway, and that nut (30 or 32mm, I forget) is very stout. Be sure to prep the threads real well and add red Loc-tite

On the spring bolts, hold your allen-key with the short "L" end between your thumb and fore-finger. Torque until fully seated and just about 1/16~1/8 turn past that point. Use a dab of ANTI-SEIZE COMPOUND on those little bolts! This prevent galled and seized threads.

I know this sounds a bit hack-mechanic, but I've changed 4 hubs this way with no problems. You'd be suprised to see the antics of paid Ducati techs at work anyway :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Suggest not putting Loc-tite on the clucth hub nut. Use motor oil to lube the threads and torque it down. Same for the spring bolts, not Loc, just oil. The pressure of the springs keep them in place. The only thing you want to Loc-tite are the hub mounting bolts, 6 or 8 of them.

If you don't have an impact gun, make sure you use a breaker bar to loosen the hub nut. And be carefull since the nut is shallow. The socket can easily fall off, causing your face to plant squarly into the frame!! (don't ask) I ended up grinding down the tip of a socket to make sure it doesn't slip. When you look at teh open end of a socket, you'll see what I mean.

For conversions...
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

I've seen a write-up where a guy used a ratchet-strap securing his rear wheel to his rear stand. Seemed to work for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts