Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torque specs given in the Ducati service manual for my 749 are nuts. Changing tires so looked up the torque for everything involved. Everything given in Newton Meters, so used an online converter to get pound feet. Rear axle nut, 180 nm, which converts to 132 ft lbs, 63 nm or 46 ft lbs for the aluminum front axle nut, and so on. I put 90 ft lbs on the rear axle nut and used the German tightening method (gudentight) on the rest.
What's up with the crazy torque figures? Didn't go through any of the other fasteners on the bike, but figure they're probably the same. Strip 3/4 of the threads on the bike if you went by specs like that. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Dunno dude, I torque my rear tire always to 230Nm which is 170ftlbs.
Zero issues. I change tires pretty frequently as slicks only last a couple days at the track. I follow the specs. GL.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, my 1/2" drive torque wrench only goes up to 150 ft lbs. All sounds crazy excessive to me given it's the same parts pretty much as any other sport bike on the market, all of whose specs are far less. I'm really dubious that the little aluminum front axle nut (with all of 5 or 6 fine threads in it) could take 46 ft lbs. Rear caliper bolts at 18 ft lbs are reasonable, but 31 ft lbs on the front is more over kill. last several bikes I've had (each of the big 4 brands included) got by just fine with no more than 24 ft lbs.
Maybe it's because I've had to deal with so many stripped threads from ham fisted over tightening on used bikes in the past, makes me leery of the sudden jump in numbers.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Been using the Ducati specs for years. No problem... Nothing stripping, nothing coming loose.

I have all OEM steel nuts and bolts though. Never felt a need to try the fancy aluminum or titanium stuff, so I can't speak for those items regarding OEM specs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wondered about that aluminum front axle nut. May be some "Ducati Special Item" that the PO put on it. Guy blinged it out a bit with some CF items and aftermarket stuff, so may have put that on it too.
It's a common Showa fork and a common swing arm, so I'll stick with common torque figures for now. Nothing comes loose on other bikes with the same stuff, doubtful it'll come loose on the Ducati. ;)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I've not done anything with Duc double swingarms except my old carbys. That does seem excessive and would raise hell with wheel bearings on all the rest of my bikes. I understand those specs on the single siders. You have the right idea of asking the right guys and looking it up. I have an issue with nm and my 1/2 torque wrench only goes to 150 ft/lbs also. My neighbor is a heavy equipment mechanic and I borrowed his wrench to get the monster torque on my Hyper and will have to pull a hernia to do it on the 748 I just started messing with.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
if a torque spec damages wheel bearings there's something wrong with the bike in question. there is no side load on a bearing due to the axle, there will only be a side load is a component is sized incorrectly or missing.

which does seem to happen on later model bikes - either the bearing seats in the wheel are machined too deep, or the spacer is too wide (or both). lots of later model wheels (2002 ish onwards) will side load the bearings to the point where you can't turn them by hand if you knock the bearings all the way home. esp if you heat the wheel and don't check it again once the wheel is cold before fitting.

i once had a guy bring in an aprilia rxv he'd fitted a ktm rear wheel to that was destroying rear wheel bearings. he just accepted it. it was missing a spacer between wheel and sprocket carrier. amazingly obvious fault, completely missed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wish somebody would come out with a cheat sheet that listed all the 749/999's specs..

Make life much simpler for lazy *ucks like me..

Ok.. truth is... With a Ducati 999R, Suzuki Gsxr 1000, BMW K1300S, KTM 505XCF... Just too many specs to remember off the top of my head..

RC

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Tight, but not like a spaz tight on the rear axle.

Next to nothing on all the fork bolts and nuts

Spec to a few engine nuts.

Just past snugg on the crank case and valve covers.

Values change with magnesium.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts