Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting some bling on the bike('02 998) and need to know the torque specs on the pressure plate spring retaining caps. Anyone have
the info handy ? Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only thing the Haynes manual says is:
"Gradually tighten the bolts evenly in a criss-cross pattern until they are all securely tightened".
There's no spec in the beginning of the chapter either.
My CD version of the repair manual does not specify either.
10nm?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Maybe this is comparing apples and oranges as far as bolt sizes goes between a 998 and a 748, but I used the general torque spec of 5 Nm (~44 in-lb) for 5mm bolts/nuts that's listed in the Ducati manual for the 748.

·
Registered
184 Posts
paulo57509 said:
Maybe this is comparing apples and oranges as far as bolt sizes goes between a 998 and a 748, but I used the general torque spec of 5 Nm (~44 in-lb) for 5mm bolts/nuts that's listed in the Ducati manual for the 748.

+1 i was told it was 5 Nm too but i have a 749 but a dry clutch is a dry clutch right. Ive also done the pressure plate, springs and retainers twice and i havent had any problems yet

·
Registered
992 Posts
just nip them up lightly in a cross pattern, the tension from the springs stops them coming loose, don't be heavy handed as you can shear off the posts.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Does anyone know what the second figure means from the bolt sizes in the Ducati Manual. EG M8 x 1.25 or M7 x 1.5. Also does anyone know where I can get Allen sockets in 5,6 and 7 mm with 1/2 inch drives

Thanks

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Johnny's Avatar is way cool!

John the second figure is the pitch of the screw thread, i.e. distance between the peaks of two adjacent threads. In the US system the second number is usually qouted in number of threads per inch.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not for Metric threads JW.. Metric threads are 8 x 1.25 mm = 8mm od of thread x 1.25mm peak to peak on threads. ok.. M24 x 2.0 = Bolt thread diameter 24mm x pitch of 2.00mm peak to peak.

Imperial threads were 3/8 UNF or 3/8 NF24. bolt 3/8".. NF (national Fine threads).. 24 thread peaks per inch. next 3/8 UNC or 3/8 NC20... Bolt 3/8 .. NC National Coarse .. 20 thread peaks per inch.

Hope this confuses you much more than me.

Mal

·
Registered
989 Posts
Oh. oops.

Mal

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Thanks, I replaced the manky exhaust holding bolts by the footpeg with Stainless Steel. I noticed that the new bolts had fatter heads and required a bigger allen socket. I wonder if this means i have a different pitch/depth to the thread. They did torque up OK

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
OK thanks. Am I right in saying these figure are always linked you can't get M8 X 1.25 OR M8 X 1.0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts