Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shop manual seems to indicate 2 Nm. This can't be right.

Can anyone kindly confirm torque value for the caliper fixing screws?

MY '13

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
175 Posts
45 Nm or 33 ft lb With Grease B (moly paste) This is the M10 socket head that mounts the front calipers. Need to mount the calipers after the wheel is tight and hold the front brakes on tight while tightening the calipers. This will insure proper alignment.
Cheers

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
45 Nm or 33 ft lb With Grease B (moly paste) This is the M10 socket head that mounts the front calipers. Need to mount the calipers after the wheel is tight and hold the front brakes on tight while tightening the calipers. This will insure proper alignment.
Cheers
Thank you!

·
Registered
322 Posts
45 Nm or 33 ft lb
snip
Need to mount the calipers after the wheel is tight and hold the front brakes on tight while tightening the calipers. This will insure proper alignment.
Cheers
That's very unusual advice. Caliper pistons never all slide with the same ease so this doesn't guarantee any kind of alignment. Also the calipers are positively located on their mounts so it's impossible for them to be out of alignment unless the fork has been forced sideways before tightening the axle pinch bolts. Applying the front brake may even prevent the caliper from torquing down properly. I highly recommend not doing this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A couple of important details were left out in the original recommendation. hand tighten the bolts first, and don't hold the brakes on TIGHT. You can't properly torque the caliper if it's tightly clamped to the disk. light pressure is all that would be needed.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yep as @Wolverine1 noted above.

A bit more clear pic below.

Note: The “manual” shows the rear caliper does not require alignment like the two front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would still have to stick with my assertion that this is a very unusual procedure. All the pistons do not have the same stiction particularly on a bike with miles on it. Some will readily move and others less so. While you're pumping the lever with only one caliper mounted, as suggested in the manual, what's happening with the pistons on the other one? Even with both mounted hand tightened, pumping is just as likely to push it to one side. There's nothing to suggest it will perfectly center it on the disk. The caliper also has virtually zero play side to side anyway.
I've seen a few misinterpretations in the manual, and many wrong torque figures.
I doubt the procedure will cause problems as long as you don't squeeze tight. I personally would not do the actual torquing with any pressure on the pads.
A personal opinion that comes with plenty of experience

1 - 8 of 8 Posts