Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I wanna get my bike to Cali, in the summer, faster than anyone ever. Then take it back slowly.

I won't have a 'team' or a huge bank account, will rely on perserverance and intelligence. It's gonna be me, my bike, and a backpack, basically. Never done anything like this before, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

We can call it the "what a dumbass race".

Food, sleeping, avoiding radar/imprisonment (and not having to average more than 130-140kph to that end!), best roads (straight line there, fun on the way back after a week of recuperating in Cali)...you get the point.

What kind of times would be 'spectacular' but doable?

edit: I'll definitely have to get my wrists, forearms and chest in condition over the winter, that was my weak point last trip...

Shawn

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't have any input for your trip, but it sounds like its going to be an absolute blast. I am planning to ride to california from BC in the coming Summer. I won't be attempting to beat records of any sort. I'll be cruising at a steady pace, making sure to take in all my surroundings and possibly even smell the flowers on the way :D. Good luck on your journey, you've got a long one. Ride safe!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow, on a 1098...that takes guts!

What is the main motivation for the trip? To do it on a 1098? To rip up great roads? Sightsee? Adventure?

You are going to be in the 8000 mile range at a minimum if you go in a straight line in both directions.

Honestly, if it were me I'd be looking to swap bikes to a multi or some other more long distance worthy bike.

Getting out there is 3500 miles, I don't think you can expect to do more than 400 miles per day consistently on that bike, even that may be a stretch after 3 or 4 days. So assume no less than 10 days to get out there???

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
you need to take twisty there and back.i can ride my superbike all day on fun roads,but only about 1 tankfull on freeways

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Highway riding on a Ducati=torture.

On the other hand, I did a relatively pain-free 535 mile day in the hills of southwest Wisconsin last year.

And if you are looking to challenge a record, its more about staying on the bike than going ultra-fast. If I recall, the guys who do those rallies aren't chewing up highway at 100+mph, but they only sleep a few hours over several days. I guarantee I could make it to California on a Goldwing faster than you could on a 1098.

Anyway, if you do it, buy actual touring tires. No sense in going through $800 worth of rubber in 4 days.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
If you're dead-set (no pun intended) to do it on your 1098... consider adding some serious bar-risers so you can conceivably bear the pain on the highway. YOur bike may not look super-cool, but a 3-4 inch rise will definitely help.

-I would also consider having some spares like belts/oil/chain lube/tool kit... tools to change remove wheels in case you get a flat and the local jap bike dealer can't get your wheels off w/o proper tools.

-think through the things that could break and prepare for not having a duc dealer closeby basically.

-I would also consider taping around parts of your fairing that would get really scratched up, so your bike still looks presentable when you get there.

-look into getting some real xenon lamps (w/ ballast) for the bike... the lights are so poor that you will need better than stock at night. In addition, do the conversion so when you turn on your brights, your low beams stay on. I notice on my superbike that when I can have both on (by keeping the passing flash button pressed) it greatly improves the width/depth of the beam on the road.
-Get a one-piece canvas suit that you can layer under, but still has armor all over it.

-Get some luggage for the tail... I remember seeing canvas luggage rack for the 999 somewhere... that should help w/ your equipment.

-Lastly, change to some higher wear tires, and set your suspension to some softer settings.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
These guys have some great motorcycle oriented maps that show you rest stops, climate, where to watch for cops...

Mad Maps

I have some for our local area--it has helped me find a lot of new roads to ride.

If you are in Sacramento, stop by.

-M

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
where in California do you want to turn around?
I am not sure of Oregon and Washington states, but once in CA use I-5 as it's the straightest North-South route in the state and traffic seems to move between 75 and 80mph (120kph to 130 kph). CHP is out on some stretches of I-5 so don't be tempted to go too much faster than 80 mph. I know people who had their licenses revoked and anything over 100mph in CA can land you in jail.
On the way back, I highly recommend HWY 1; it follows the coast for a good part and it's scenic. It also gives access to some great mountain roads if you feel like venturing back into the hwy 101.
I have done SF to LA in 10 hrs via HWY 1 on my 999. If you are in good shape, your back should be fine. I wish I could say the same for my butt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fastest time there: Go by plane. I once moved my bike from Toronto to Calgary this way with Wardair (now no more). Dropped off bike at cargo then I got on plane next day and flew to Calgary. Rode bike away from airport. Unfortunately I don't think anyone offers this service anymore. Second fastest: Ship bike to Cali, and fly to meet it. (it would be cost effective saving time, fuel, hotel expenses.) I've done this shipping my bike from my Duc dealer in Vancouver to one in London ON, and then riding my 749 from London to St. John's, NL.
I like touring on a sport bike. Staying on secondary highways and not rushing it took five days. Usually a day was only 375-500 km; though I did one long, 900km day on the way back. (long day!) I know it doesn't seem like a lot but staying on small highways, going through little towns, etc., it's reasonable for scheduling. Depends on weather, roads, I hate four-lane highways (muscles tighten up just sitting there on a big highway, on a 749—no fun.)
Routes: Highway 101 is a good option if you want to start out heading north, and then if you don't go all the way to BC, highway 2 across the northern US is a nice two lane highway. (Avoid the Candian praires unless you decide on a Goldwing with cruise control as your touring platform), Then I'd cut back into Canada at Lake Superior and run north of the Lakes for maximum twisties. (Watch your fuel here, as there are a few spots with big gaps, for a sport bike, between gas stations.) But I'd also check all the maps you can for twisty highways.
The destination highways books are good for Washington state and BC (Not sure if they've gotten to Cali yet)

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Humm, I really like that idea - ship the bike to Cali/Mexico border and spend the entire 3 weeks coming home...all crazy hero/superman crap aside...

And to be honest, I put the request in for 3 weeks, at work, for holiday time this weekend. My boss, who couldn't care less about motorcycles, though it was a very bad move - taxing on the bike and me, and for what? Spending $75-80K on a bike that will dramatically lose value because of the trip, wrong kind of vehicle that will probably give me numerous unthought-of problems...I dunno. Same stuff I've been hearing from actual Duc riders (on the boards here).

So maybe slow-and-leisurely and half the clicks is the way to go...I may remember the craziness of a 2-3 day torture test, but I'll DEFINITELY remember 3 weeks seeing the greatest sights in the US...

I'll look into it for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts