Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to drop my forks to check and grease up the steering bearings but I'm having a bit of a game undoing the pinch bolt.

Can anybody confirm what size the hex bolt is ?
Like a few things on Ducatis it seems to be between regular hex sizes, and I don't want to round it off trying to undo it.

The only hex key I have that fits is the same one that fits the clutch cover and water pump bolts, but seems a sloppy fit on the pinch bolt whereas it isn't a sloppy fit on the clutch cover and water pump bolts.
The next regular size up is too big.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Just went down to the garage to verify. The triple clamp bolts, including the clip ons, are all 6MM. The center pinch bolt that locks down the bearing adjuster nut is 5MM. My clutch cover bolts are 5MM.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Dan.

Does yours seem a sloppy fit in the pinch bolt, as opposed to a good fit in the clutch cover bolts ?

I could do with an Allen socket, but the hex part that sticks out of the socket part wouldn't be long enough, so I've decided to fashion my own by hacksawing the 90 degree bend off an Allen key, and using a relevant sized small socket on one end of it.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the biatch.

While we're on the subject, does anybody know what torque the castellated stem nut should be set at ?
I remember they have to be torqued up to a certain value, and then slackened off 15 degrees.
I have the tool, complete with the 15 degree markings.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It's a nightmare. I gave up on mine. Ended up rounding the hex, tried banging in a torque driver and it gripped but eventually just tore through the metal. Even tried drilling it out with little success. I have a set of bearings to install but it's definitely not me that's going to fix it. I considered getting a s/h top yoke and getting busy with a hacksaw.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a nightmare. I gave up on mine. Ended up rounding the hex, tried banging in a torque driver and it gripped but eventually just tore through the metal. Even tried drilling it out with little success. I have a set of bearings to install but it's definitely not me that's going to fix it. I considered getting a s/h top yoke and getting busy with a hacksaw.
Bummer.

That's how I thought mine would end up, but I undid it ok in the end.

I'll probably look for a replacement bolt that's a better fitting for the allen wrench during the coming week..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts