Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the finish is on the triple clamp, is it some sort of lacquer?
I'm fitting some Rizoma bar risers and took the clamp along to a local engineering firm to machine the holes. They've just called me to say they've scratched the top, had a go at polishing it out and taken off part of the coating :(
I guess my choice is to strip off the remeinder of the coating or get it re-lacquered.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I thought Ducati advertised it as the "hand polished" triple clamp, back when they first came out?

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
Hand-polished fork caps. Anodized triples.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Possibly Satin Anodizing:

Type-II with 320-400 grit alum-oxide directional finishing. Anno M-31 or M-32 (32 is more coarse).

Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Taking off anodizing is as easy as E-Z Off oven cleaner (original). It is a lye based solvent which will eat through the ano. MUST wear gloves, eye protection, etc. and have a big bucket of water nearby. CAUTION: If you've ever seen Fight Club, then you should know that lye activates on fatty acids (read: flesh, fat, etc,), but also likes aluminum ano for some reason.

Only takes 5 minutes or less, any longer and the part will become pitted. Once ano is removed, thoroughly wash part in soapy water and dry. Repeat if you missed any spots. Lots of links online on how to do this step by step.

Also, Caswell, the same company that makes the tank sealant, is the go to source for metal polishing supplies and how-tos.

Cheers,

TY

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can you polish the triple with anything? mine has a few marks on it id like to remove if possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, you can't polish out marks. Any polishing will just remove the anodizing.
That's what has happened to mine, they've tried to polish a scratch out and taken off the anodising. I've polished the exposed metal and it's impressively shiney so I think I'll strip off the rest and just keep on top of the polishing.

Oven cleaner, that's a good idea, I wonder if Mr Muscle will be as effective as E-Z Off?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts

There are a ton of links on how to remove the anodizing. And, if you have a Dremel tool, you can buy the polishing kit that has the different pads and rouge to make it really shiny. The pro refinishers recommend re-anodizing or clear powder coating after polishing to keep it from oxidizing again.

Hope this helps :)

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts