Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Top speed run 2001 750SS

This morning I had to open it up on the highway. Very little traffic and 4 lanes wide in each direction. 124 indicated for about 3 miles. I just stepped up to a 14/41 sprocket set. Now I weigh 240lbs, I am 6'2" and had a pack on my back weighing about 25lbs. I was happy with it. I believe the shocks need to be rebuilt though. When going that fast and I am turning, and at the same time hitting a bump, like a bridge's leading edge and trailing edge seam, the front and rear shocks work in what seams to be completely out of sync, making it very unstable. Fun though!:D

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
What was your rpm? I'm running the same gearing on my 900 and weigh a bit less. The old girl still has a lot of pep. I like this gearing and don't do a lot of highway. I would like to gear so I can pull the power peak in top gear.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
Believe it or not but at top speed your physical size, and even more so the backpack will limit you more than your weight. That backpack is probably worth 10 mph. When I run a tank bag and can't tuck in its the same thing. Your super low gearing probably wouldn't let you go much faster anyway. But I bet it lets you get there quickly. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had my '99 750 topped out at 134 indicated (~9000 RPM) on a trip this summer. Stock gearing, 170 lbs 6' 3", 30 lb backpack.

This morning I had to open it up on the highway. Very little traffic and 4 lanes wide in each direction. 124 indicated for about 3 miles. I just stepped up to a 14/41 sprocket set. Now I weigh 240lbs, I am 6'2" and had a pack on my back weighing about 25lbs. I was happy with it. I believe the shocks need to be rebuilt though. When going that fast and I am turning, and at the same time hitting a bump, like a bridge's leading edge and trailing edge seam, the front and rear shocks work in what seams to be completely out of sync, making it very unstable. Fun though!:D
900SSie's should be good for about ten more mph than 750s, thanks to the displacement and the 6 spd gearbox

What was your rpm? I'm running the same gearing on my 900 and weigh a bit less. The old girl still has a lot of pep. I like this gearing and don't do a lot of highway. I would like to gear so I can pull the power peak in top gear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I seem to top out around 130 on the speedo, which is probably 120 ish actual. I'm running a 15/39 sprocket combo.
Regarding your suspension, at your weight I'm guessing the rear is sprung about right and the front is waayyyy undersprung if you're running the stock setup. The front seems to be sprung for someone about 130 pounds from the factory.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Saw 140 indicated on mine one day, and was hunkered down over the rank and behind the fairing...still just barely accelerating. I think it was closer to 120 real-world.

·
Registered
979 Posts
mine gets about 124 on the track with 15/42 gearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 15 stone which is I think about 210lb, or 95 kg if your into that metric stuff, lucky me lives about 1/2 mile from Germany and 5 miles from my nearest stretch of unrestricted autobahn. I know my 99 900ie standard sprockets does just on 130mph. (i also have a loose jacket).. I hold a satnav on the headstock with Velcro so I know what the speed really is, Speedo reads 6mph high at that point. It's a touch hairy but bags of fun :)

Sent from my HTC One S

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Well........., mine goes past 200, easy, must be the fastest SS around here then, oh, and it is YELLOW.

·
Registered
506 Posts
GPS says around 120 for me on a '92 900SS with 14/37.

I'm 5'9", 180lb.

That's wound bloody out too.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Well........., mine goes past 200, easy, must be the fastest SS around here then, oh, and it is YELLOW.
So... On top of riding a school bus, the speedo doesn't work either ?:D

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
mine gets about 124 on the track with 15/42 gearing.
amehl: How is that 15/42 on the Track and what are the Track size? 2 mile or less? I'm doing a 15/40 on a 1.88 mile track and need some help coming out of the turns......

·
Registered
979 Posts
amehl: How is that 15/42 on the Track and what are the Track size? 2 mile or less? I'm doing a 15/40 on a 1.88 mile track and need some help coming out of the turns......
1.9 miles

the track is flat as a pancake and pretty easy - Portland International Raceway.

Seems good but this is my first go-fast bike and its the only track I have riden, so I am not the best judge. But I can say I like the 43 better for street use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, just did another high speed run. This time without the extra weight and drag of a back pack stuffed with an xbox, laptop, frozen food and some clothes (don't ask). I had an indicated 134. That is an increase of 11 mph just by taking off the pack.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Its likely the drag instead of the weight. I bet with some technique you could maybe hit 140.

*edit* also, are you using a GPS or the speedo? I ask because I have a 14/37 combo and I'm always around 140, but the GPS says 111. :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a buddy with a radar gun and sometime I will see the difference between indicated and actual is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts