Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new Red 2006 ST3, the bike I have wanted for a couple of years :D Rain and work have allowed me to ride it only 1 mile in the last 2 days :mad:

I am looking for a backrest for passenger safety, my wife will be riding with me and I don't want to take any chances. I would also like to possibly ad a top storage box that would work with or as the back rest. I have not been able to locate this for the ST3. I do want to be able to remove the rest at times.

Thanks for any help......Mitch

·
Registered
523 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Welcome to the group. You might want to investigate the Givi rear storage box available either through your dealer or through Givi. If you want to see what these look like go to:
http://www.giviusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products&id=141&cat=monokeycases&catid=24&prodid=e460

I bought mine through the dealer and it included a backrest pad and the brackets. I've been pretty happy with mine, but haven't put the pad on and haven't carried passengers, so YMMV.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just curious how a backrest contributes to passenger safety. Do you expect her to fly off the back? She should be holding on to you at all times, that's part of the fun!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Tipst4er said:
Just curious how a backrest contributes to passenger safety. Do you expect her to fly off the back? She should be holding on to you at all times, that's part of the fun!

I don't how much it actually contributes to "safety", but it does contribute to the "feeling of safety". My wife felt very uncomforable without it, after several years riding on a Honda ST1100 with a backrest. I ended up with the Corbin seat and she has felt fine on that. I'm sure it is dependent on the passenger, and, with the exception of some stupid human tricks, I've not seen a passenger fly off the back. Be that as it may, she is a whole lot happier with the backrest and for me, that works.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not actually a backrest but I'm thinking of getting the Ventura Bike-Pack system. It is like a grabrail and the top is replaced by what looks like a sissy bar with luggage rack. The part I want is the pack. The sell various size packs that slide over the sissy bar facing either forward or rearward. This gets the weight of your clothes behind you like a passenger.

Ventura Website

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
My DP Nonfango (now out of business) 52 liter AWACS trunk is now on its third ST. It has the small padding on the leading edge which acts as a (security) back rest for my son when we ride two up.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased a Corbin Canyon Saddle with the backrest for my 05 st3 and my riding partner swears by it as in the twisties something back there is better than nothing. Baby Got Back... Some forum members do not like the firmness of Corbins but it has been fine for she and I on long trips.
http://www.corbin.com/ducati/st4menu.shtml
Good Luck.
Brock

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info! But...the Givi site has no listings for the ST3.....seems very strange to me with the ST3 being one of the only Duc's to warrant a rear box. My local bike stuff person is a Givi dealer so I will stop in and see what is up.

Thanks......Mitch

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 ST3s and I ordered the Ducati top case and rack. It is a Givi V46 with a Givi rack..

I pick up my bike in May but I saw the top case mounted on a ST3s at the Motorcycle show..

·
Registered
623 Posts
So the top case sold by Ducati is a Givi? Makes sense. Are the side cases Givi, too? What does a top case and mount usually cost from a Ducati dealer?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Oilhed said:
Not actually a backrest but I'm thinking of getting the Ventura Bike-Pack system. It is like a grabrail and the top is replaced by what looks like a sissy bar with luggage rack. The part I want is the pack. The sell various size packs that slide over the sissy bar facing either forward or rearward. This gets the weight of your clothes behind you like a passenger.
I had the Ventura system on my VFR. It is definately NOT a backrest. I will say that it worked well both with and without a passenger. Fully loaded, it wasn't really noticeable, except when trying to swing my leg over the seat.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't know if it's safer or not. I tried the Corbin seat with backrest. My wife holds on to me pretty tight so it didn't matter much to her, although she finds the stock seat more comfy to sit on. My son on the other hand is always a bit nervous on the bike. With the backrest he was much more at ease. Even though he would hold on he was always afraid he might fly off the back. With the backrest I could acclerate hard and he didn't mind at all since he could feel the support back there. Ultimately I sold the Corbin because I could not sit on it for more that one hour at a time - too damn hard. I have arthritis in my lower back though and that may have contributed to it. The seat looked great but is quite heavy at 16lbs.! If you do try the Corbin I would recommend the "close" version unless you are very tall. I'm 5'10 and had the "close" seat and would have liked it to be even a little closer still.

·
Registered
623 Posts
New2Duc said:
I priced the Ducati top case and mounting kit for my '05 ST3 at $467 from my local dealer.
Is there some Ducati dealer out there that everyone goes to for the lowest price? The kinda place that has stuff in stock and ships for free? In the BMW circle there are a few dealers everyone knows about, How about Ducati?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Made my own for the ease of being able to remove in seconds - just four short bolts and the whole thing is off. The wife loves it, the best part is it is just a sort of relief as we come into towns etc, she can ease back and take a bit of a stretch. Combined with a bag on the back and the panniers we have all the room we need for storage for week long rides.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
New2Duc said:
I priced the Ducati top case and mounting kit for my '05 ST3 at $467 from my local dealer.
Since I am buying the bike there they gave me a 10% discount for a total of $420 installed......

The original price was also $467

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! I will look for that model on line....even my local supplier called the Givi USA dealer and they said none were available for the ST3.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had the same response from Givi. I wonder if they have an agreement to only sell the Ducati stuff through the Ducati accesory line:

Hi,
We apologize but we do not offer a top case for this model.

Best Regards,

Craig
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 6:49 PM
Subject: GIVIUSA - Quote Request

The following information was submitted from the Quote form at www.giviusa.com

Contact Information
First Name: Vincent
Last Name:
Phone Number:
Email: vincent....
Address:
City: Washington
State: DC
Zip: 20007

Quote Detail Information
Make: Ducati
Model: ST3
Year: 2004
Color: Silver

Fitment: toponly
Windscreen:

TopCase: V46
Matt/Painted Options: Metallic Silver
Top Case Accessories: E95,E105

SideCases: None Selected
Matt/Painted Options: None Selected

Mounting Hardware: Universal Topcase Adapter Plate*
Soft Luggage: None Selected

Additional Information/Comments:
To mount with the factory side cases. Need rack/mount and actual topcase

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is a good thought.....I know the Dealers have them and Givi says no.....I am sure you are right about that.

I will give in and get one at the dealer for the $467.00 or less. Still better than what Corbin wants for a seat and back rest that everyone says is too hard.

·
Registered
231 Posts
1962mcs, I am in the same boat (bike?). Wife wants a back rest, I am happy with the seat, rack and top box is a better alternative.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts