Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on a cafe project based on my current '01 M900Sie. This would include the mandatory clip-ons. The front end is Ohlins - not sourced from a superbike (purchased directly from Ohlins) so using stock triple. Looked at SpeedyMoto, but they do not offer top clamps for the "older" Monsters.

What are my options with stock top clamps (e.g. Sport 1000, Supersports, etc.) or the aftermarket?

Reaching out to those who've successfully completed the full clip-ons update... Pics would be awesome too!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMA there's a US distributor haven't got the address within reach.
I dealt with Patrick from IMA direct they are Italian based but he's a top bloke. If I remember the correctly, the first gen monsters have an increase in offset to quicken the steering. Prices are very very good and they also do some very sexy adjustable clip ons.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Here's a quick blurb

MOD1-NC - Complete Upper & Lower Triples with Steering Stem Installed. Billet aluminum, anodized black or clear. Upper triple has handlebar riser spacing at 32mm, like original monster bar risers, and you can get matching risers (and spacers to make bars sit up a bit higher, by either 1cm or 2cm) for a 22mm handlebar. Has mount holes for gauges, headlight u-bracket, turn-signal brackets, steering stops, and has the cut-out for the ignition steering lock.

MOD1-SC - Complete kit, just like above, only difference is the handlebar riser mount hole spacing - its set at 38mm like the later Monsters, and there are handlebar risers available for both the 22mm handlebar and the 'fat/conical/tapered' handlebars.

Offset is 30mm, so you get a bit quicker steering Monster (in a good way) than the original 25mm offset on the 93-01 Monsters. (Result is same offset as the 2002+ Monsters).

Pricing is $385 USD + Shipping for complete upper & lower (with stem and all stainless hardware) with yoke bores for standard Monster Forks (50/54). If you want them done for SBK forks (Showa 53/53 or Ohlins 53/56 or any other), can do that too -MOD1-NC - Complete Upper & Lower Triples with Steering Stem Installed. Billet aluminum, anodized black or clear. Upper triple has handlebar riser spacing at 32mm, like original monster bar risers, and you can get matching risers (and spacers to make bars sit up a bit higher, by either 1cm or 2cm) for a 22mm handlebar. Has mount holes for gauges, headlight u-bracket, turn-signal brackets, steering stops, and has the cut-out for the ignition steering lock.

MOD1-SC - Complete kit, just like above, only difference is the handlebar riser mount hole spacing - its set at 38mm like the later Monsters, and there are handlebar risers available for both the 22mm handlebar and the 'fat/conical/tapered' handlebars.

Offset is 30mm, so you get a bit quicker steering Monster (in a good way) than the original 25mm offset on the 93-01 Monsters. (Result is same offset as the 2002+ Monsters).

Pricing is $385 USD + Shipping for complete upper & lower (with stem and all stainless hardware) with yoke bores for standard Monster Forks (50/54). If you want them done for SBK forks (Showa 53/53 or Ohlins 53/56 or any other), can do that too - $435.

Prices were correct Nov '11

http://imaspecialparts.com/category/featured-products/

·
Registered
36 Posts

I don't mean to take over the thread here... But please explain where the offset actually is. I'm very interested in improving my m900's handling any way i can. It feels so light in the front end i have to really throw my weight forward to feel comfortable when I'm really hammering a turn. any insight would be great!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I personally would stick with the 25mm offset on the early Monsters. 30mm offset might make them really squirrely. The later Monsters have different frame geometry.

Less offset, more trail, more stable, may require more steering input.

For reference my 92' 851 had 30mm offset OEM, would tend to drop quickly if going too slow in a corner if not on the gas. I made a set of 27mm offset triples (ala Corse offset) and the problem has gone away. Much more stable and has never tended to "drop".

IMHO stick with the 25mm offset.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info - thanks. I'm sticking with stock offset, as I feel my monster steers quickly enough for me - street/track has been a good balance between quick steering and stability. Although I'm retiring her from track duty, I'm currently please with her suspension/handling performance & don't want to change that.

I like the IMA pieces, but would like to have one without the provisions (i.e. holes) for the riser bars. Any ideas if the stock top clamp from a Sport 1000 would work?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Great info - thanks. I'm sticking with stock offset, as I feel my monster steers quickly enough for me - street/track has been a good balance between quick steering and stability. Although I'm retiring her from track duty, I'm currently please with her suspension/handling performance & don't want to change that.

I like the IMA pieces, but would like to have one without the provisions (i.e. holes) for the riser bars. Any ideas if the stock top clamp from a Sport 1000 would work?
I don't know for sure but I think it's highly unlikely that the top triple from the Sport 1000 would work. Both in size and offset.

A while back there were quite a few CycleCat top triples floating around. I bought one on closeout online from somewhere for about fifty bucks. There may still be some of them available. You could get one custom machined.

pics of the triples I made for my 851, 27mm offset, patterned after the Corse triples of that era

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sport 1000 have use the larger style steering head bearings, 35mm bore if I remember correctly. Early monsters have the 26mm bore steering head bearings. As for the offset I'm not too sure.

Looks like a custom job might be the order of the day or a rummage at a friendly wreckers.

·
Registered
603 Posts
cyclecat

Here's the cyclecat triple. It looks like they are back in business.

Cycle Cat - Triple Clamps

P.S. Just a ;thought but you could thread some aluminum rod to fill the riser holes in the stock triple, grind or machine the riser "bumps" off, smooth it out and have it powder coated. or strip all of the clear anodizing off, polish. the plugged holes wouldn't be very visable.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sport 1000 have use the larger style steering head bearings, 35mm bore if I remember correctly. Early monsters have the 26mm bore steering head bearings. As for the offset I'm not too sure.

Looks like a custom job might be the order of the day or a rummage at a friendly wreckers.

Blade, yes... you're right. Steering head sizes are different. It's a no go. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cyclecat is back!?? Wow - had no idea... Had their clip-ons and other items back in the day - good stuff. Looks like Cycle Cat DTC 2 it is!

BTW... great fab work on that top clamp.

Thanks again!

Here's the cyclecat triple. It looks like they are back in business.

Cycle Cat - Triple Clamps

P.S. Just a ;thought but you could thread some aluminum rod to fill the riser holes in the stock triple, grind or machine the riser "bumps" off, smooth it out and have it powder coated. or strip all of the clear anodizing off, polish. the plugged holes wouldn't be very visable.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had heard that CC was back in business but don't have first hand knowledge of that.

BTW on a cafe racer, if you are using the stock instrument cluster, you might think about mounting the cluster on the bottom side of the top triple for a lower cleaner look. I'm building up a 04' S4R and plan on doing that.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cycle Cat is indeed back in business... Confirmed by the company prez himself, Chris Calovini, via email correspondence. I will be using their DTC-2 top clamp & possibly their clip-ons or Speedy Moto clip-ons.

But, yes... CC is back in business. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts