Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used Ducati Tope Case for my 2015 MST1200 on ebay, the seller decided to keep the lock cylinder bushing (didn’t advertise that part, long story) so I was forced to do some research into lock possibilities. There is a lot of information on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. Here’s what I found.

Ducati Top Cases are made by Givi, but . . . The Ducati Top Case has a different lock cylinder than the Givi case. The Ducati latch has a much bigger hole with 2 notches that match corresponding protrusions in the Ducati lock cylinder bushing (plastic part the lock cylinder is inserted into which in turn is inserted into the latch). The Ducati latch also has a boss that protrudes from the latch that the Givi latch does not have. The Ducati lock cylinder bushing used in the top case is the same one used in the panniers and the seat lock.

The Top Case is the same for 2014 and at least 2015, in 2015 Ducati switched to providing the color panels separately but the case is the same (rack is different between 2014 and 2015 and on)
Givi makes 2 lock cylinders standard and security. The Givi standard lock cylinder is very short and nothing like the Ducati cylinder. The Givi Security Lock looks similar to the Ducati cylinder but is shorter. Lock cylinder bushings from Givi are too small a diameter to fit the Ducati latch.

There are 2 options if you need the lock cylinder bushing:
1. Buy a seat lock assembly, remove the bushing and insert the lock cylinder that came with your bike. (As I only needed the one bushing, this is the route I chose)
2. Buy the 3 lock set

If you need a single lock cylinder for any of the luggage, the cylinder from the seat lock will work but won’t be keyed the same (maybe a locksmith can re-key?).

I did not research in depth but it may be possible to replace the Ducati Top Case latch assembly with the Givi, but you would lose the one key capability. I also think it would be possible to use another Givi case and install the Ducati latch. Both of these require further checking to be sure though.

Ducati Parts catalogs are available at Ducati.com

Givi has parts in their catalog on their site as well but not all parts are called out.

Ducati part numbers:
2015 MTS 1200S Seat Lock Assy w Key PN 59840271A Approx US$70.00
2014 MTS 1200 GT Lock Set (3 Lock Cylinders w Keys) PN 59820681A Approx US$ 160.00
2014 MTS 1200 GT Top Case Latch Assy PN 96700710A (Ducati nomenclature UPPER HINGE (Unit)) Approx US$45.00

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I sold my Cases, But i Kept the Locks.

I still have them if anyones needs them for anything. I supposed i could include the Key code and mayby a key can be purchased?

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you don't have a tumbler you're screwed, but if you can get a tumbler, you can rekey them pretty simply.

Unfortunately Zadi tumblers for sidewinder keys are not available.

I don't know why Ducati can't be like BMW and sell rekey kits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
where are you suppose to get the wafers to rekey? i bought a full set of luggage and the top case had no lock cylinder but the panniers have the locks and key. so i pulled the seat latch lock and you can see the numbers on the wafers so you can match it. only problem is not enough of a certain number wafer to rekey.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Strangely, I had the same experience. Bought a used 2015. It came the the top case and lock cylinder, but a couple of bits were missing. Not many options to resolve here. I eventually found a used assembly sans cylinder on ebay for $30.

·
Registered
40 Posts
where are you suppose to get the wafers to rekey? i bought a full set of luggage and the top case had no lock cylinder but the panniers have the locks and key. so i pulled the seat latch lock and you can see the numbers on the wafers so you can match it. only problem is not enough of a certain number wafer to rekey.
I purchased a setoff used cases that came with locks and one key. I was lucky. I also disassembled the locks and rekeyed to my main bike keys.

It took about an hour to do. There are only 3 sizes of wafers in the locks. I was able to reassembly the wafers in a way that worked with my original key. It took some trial and error to do, but wasn't hard at all. If I was smart, I would have removed my seat lock and wrote down the order of the wafers in that. But, I wasn't.

I was able to use all the wafers and have the lock as from the factory. When removed from the plastic casing/bushing, you can insert the key your want to key it to and see which ones need moved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See the middle photo from May 27 post. With the key in the lock, move the spring loaded retainer tab in towards the center of the lock (small screwdriver or pick works). The lock cylinder then will slide out of the plastic piece.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts