Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am finally ready to swap my 749 for a GT-1000, and after having perused this forum for a bit am curious what owners recommend as the top 3 "must-have" mods for this bike.

Needless to say, other threads now have me worried about suspension and tank issues, and one purpose of my posting this question is to help me budget for immediate (and perhaps necessary) upgrades to the bike.

I'll be testing riding a GT for the first time in a few weeks (before I buy of course) and hopefully I can carry some of your critiques forward so I can actively note how I feel about these issues during my test ride.

As always, thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
737 Posts
For me, i'd say... Termignoni's, 14t and a tie between Dietrich's guage brackets and GTRossi's Hugger, oh...an Wasps TMSD :D

Can we just have a top five?? ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's a front sprocket ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Can't limit it to 3. Here's my top 6
1. 14t front sprocket
2. Termi's with DP ECU or Aftermarket exhaust with modified air box & Fat Duc O2 manipulator
3. Modified or upgraded front forks
4. Fork protectors of some sort
5. Dietrich's gauge brackets
6. Bar end mirrors of some sort.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Only had my bike for a few days & it still has the original front sprocket.
My current suggestions would be as follows:

Termis with DP ECU & Filter mod
Fly screen/small fairing
Hugger (we have a 'moist' climate over here!)
Connector lead for smart battery charger (I have an Optimate)
Lighter wheels (mine currently has the Excel wheels from a SC1000)

I also have a lead plumbed in to enable me to use my Gerbing heated gloves in winter.
Mrs H sometimes rides pillion so I have a Ventura grab rail - she likes this as she finds the higher positioning of the grab rail easier for her to hold than that of the Ducati rack.

Future plans:

Cast wheels to run tubeless tyres
Possible swap to 14-tooth front sprocket
May consider changing fork springs (we'll see how the OEM springs fare)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
easy-to-afford-items
1) FatDuc 02 manipulator
2) 14 tooth front sprocket
3) bar end mirrors

plan ahead items
1) Improved suspension; either have the stock fork "tuned" or go to a Showa adjustable, and YSS shocks
2) Termignoni exhaust
3) Wheel upgrade to aluminum or cast rims

And everything Dietrich sells!:D

·
Registered
985 Posts
1. Steering damper.

These bikes can head shake like crazy, given just the right combination of speed, load, and road surface. Ask Majorsoftie about this. My GT tried to spit me off a couple of times, too. I suspect that this problem is less pronounced with heavier riders. I weigh 175.

2. Light alloy wheels.

The stock suspension combined with the original heavy steel wheels can make for a brutal ride. (If you're riding two up, the ride with stock componants is perfect!) You might want to replace the wheels before switching out the shocks: I found the stock shocks to be a little firm, but otherwise perfect, and kept them. Also replaced were all stock brake disc and wheel nuts and bolts with like titanium items from TPO, saving about 50% of the weight, and reducing unsprung weight.

3. FatDuc O2 manipulator.

This will iron out the abrupt low RPM throttle response of the stock ECU, and will also eliminate off throttle (decel) popping. Operating temperatures are also reduced. This is probably the cheapest mod of the bunch, at about $80. It's truly "plug and play", taking all of 5 minutes to install. I experienced an 8-10% reduction in gas milage, but the trade off was well worth it.

Everybody likes Termis because of the sound. Keep in mind that this installation will reduce your gas milage by 20-40% as the stock ECU is replaced with a new one.

A 14t front sprocket will launch you off of the line faster, but you'll pay for it with higher cruise RPMs and lowered gas milage. I stuck with stock, front and rear.

·
Registered
900 Posts
1: Front fork spring upgrade.
2: Rear shock upgrade.
3: Steering stabilizer (take you pick).
All other mods are pretty much cosmetic. I haven't done the 14 tooth sprocket and probably won't. The bike revs out fast enough for me.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
1. Bar end mirrors to greatly enhance the appearance of your GT :)

2. 14T sprocket to significantly alter the low speed drive ability :D

3. Termis to tremendously alter the sound and tuning capability :eek:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Hyperpro fork springs; YSS rear shocks and to be on the safe side, a steering damper.

·
Registered
171 Posts
1. Bar end mirrors to greatly enhance the appearance of your GT

2. 14T sprocket to significantly alter the low speed drive ability

3. Termis to tremendously alter the sound and tuning capability
Today 11:12 am
x2 on what egrafx2006 suggested
It will run better, look better, sound alot better and you will be able to actually see who is behind you, not just a blurred shape in the shaky mirrors

·
Registered
238 Posts
1: Front fork spring upgrade.
2: Rear shock upgrade.
3: Steering stabilizer (take you pick).
All other mods are pretty much cosmetic. I haven't done the 14 tooth sprocket and probably won't. The bike revs out fast enough for me.
Yup. These must be done. Everything else can wait.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I do not agree with the suspension mods for the bike as an immediate mod. I did not buy this bike and expect it to handle like an SS bike. That's not what its all about.

Yes the suspension isnt great, but unless you can out ride the current suspension dont bother.

Oh this

My mod list:
1. Take off the emissions canister, mine got clogged and left me stranded for 3 hours. These thing cause more problems then they are worth. My dealer is not taking them off all the Duc's before they leave the floor.

2. FatDuc O2 manipulator is a must, unless you are doing the Termi pipe kit.
The throttle response on these bike are so touchy from 1000-4000RPM that it can drive you nuts.

So either put on a FatDuc or get the Termi pipe Kit.

3. 14T sprocket (now you can use 6 gear :) )

4. Get rid of those lollipop mirrors for some bar ends.

5. Take your pick: Damper, Tail Chop, Hugger, Wind screen, etc....

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
1) Ride time
2) More ride time
3) Yet more ride time

Yes, but are these "mods?" For most of us getting saddle time requires more "modification" than any part that money can buy.

Gives more pleasure too, IMHO.

:)

-don

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think it really depends on the type of rider you are and where you're riding to. If you're venturing down below average B grade roads, you may need to address the suspension somewhat, but no need to jump right in and spend up big right away. ;)

I'd go with what Don said :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts