Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
And to think, the Multistrada 1200 has had that position on lockdown for the past 4 years. The competition has slowly been trying to catch up. BMW with the water-cooled GS, KTM with the new 1190, Aprilia with the Caponord, Triumph with the Explorer 1200, all coming out in the past 24 months, yet they still come up short. Just imagine what the next version of the Multi will be.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It looks like Zeee Germans are trying to close that gap a little more with a more sport-touring oriented S1000R. I know they released the naked S1000R but this obviously looks different. I think BMW obviously has realized that the GS will never be able to replicate the thrill that the MTS1200 gives on pavement. I think this is their solution to that problem.

Is BMW Building an S1000RR-Based Sport Tourer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone actually been able to get close to a 10.5sec quarter mile.
I took mine to the drags a few weeks ago and the best I could do was 11.1 sec quarter.
Just interested to see if other people have taken their to the drags and what was their best time?

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Their numbers appear to be for a 2010-12 MTS as opposed to a DS engine. They could be a little better with a 2013-14.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I use to drag race and its a fine art to get low ET's. 60' times are critical to low ET's and it takes ALOT of experience (+ a light rider) to achieve them.

·
Temporary greeter
23,095 Posts
I've been riding the KTM 1190 for a little while now and I will say that the power is not as explosive as the Multi but it lasts a lot longer. The power is very linear and even though it may not win in the 1/4 mile I think it would take it in roll on tests in the real world.

Granted the last time I rode a Multi was about a year ago so it may just be my imagination. I will say that the KTM has the best fueling buy far of any fuel injected bike I have ever ridden. And as I'm finding out the rest of the electronics are just as impressive.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think as DeathByMTS stated, it's amazing that Ducati came out with this bike 4 years ago. Same could be said for the Diavel for it's segment although there was always the VMax. They definitely set the expectations in the sport ADV segment for on-road capabilities. KTM/BMW still reign supreme in the off-road department.

·
Temporary greeter
23,095 Posts
I think as DeathByMTS stated, it's amazing that Ducati came out with this bike 4 years ago. Same could be said for the Diavel for it's segment although there was always the VMax. They definitely set the expectations in the sport ADV segment for on-road capabilities. KTM/BMW still reign supreme in the off-road department.
Where does BMW come into this supreme off-road equation :think:

:D

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts

They hold up under abuse. The BMW isn't the bike the KTM is in the dirt, but it is a reliable mount for going around the world. That's its calling card. KTMs have traditionally been stronger in the dirt but weaker on the road and have a rep (real or imagined) for being fussier. The 1190 may break the mold, but then again, it may just break.:D

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
Ok.. So now go do the 1/4-mile on gravel with the tires the bike comes on and relist.

Its nice that the struddle comes out on top, but fast dragtimes for adv bikes? If I had wanted a dragbike, i would have gotten a diavel

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That is true to a certain degree. Compared to the KTMs in general they don't hold a candle but it is the next best thing after all the ones listed in this comparison.

Ok.. So now go do the 1/4-mile on gravel with the tires the bike comes on and relist.

Its nice that the struddle comes out on top, but fast dragtimes for adv bikes? If I had wanted a dragbike, i would have gotten a diavel

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
VMax would make a better drag bike.

Lets not forget... The only reason the KTM got the power it got with the 1190 can be attributed directly to the Multi. They wanted to compete. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts