Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tools does one need to remove and reinstall the heads from a 749 ?

thanks,
Migrane

·
Registered
601 Posts
You'll need:
Basic metric Allen wrenches and or T handles
Basic set of metric sockets and ratchets
Screwdrivers
Pliers
There is a special tool for the head nuts; it's a 12 point box end much like a combination wrench. I actually used a combination wrench to remove a head once. An alternative to this for reinstallation is a "torque wrench extension" not a normal square drive extension. It's basicaly a 3/8" square on one end and a 14mm 12pt box end on the other. They're about 3" long. I got mine from Matco Tools. Hope this helps. It's not too complicated to do.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Ducati wrench for rmoving the head nuts....part # 88713.2096 price $300.00:eek::eek:
I wish this surprised me but it really doesn't. My little torque wrench extension was like 25$ if I remember correctly and it worked quite well. If interested I'll get the information/part # off of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish this surprised me but it really doesn't. My little torque wrench extension was like 25$ if I remember correctly and it worked quite well. If interested I'll get the information/part # off of it tomorrow.
That would help !!

thanks folks.

Migrane

·
Registered
5,137 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys that should get me started on taking of the heads.

Migrane

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I just take off the belt covers and belts and then loosen the head nuts and lift the heads off or do I need to take off everything else pullies, top cover side cover off the head ?!

thanks,
Migrane

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
You also need to remove the exhaust headers, and throttle bodies, and anything else in the way, as well as coolant hoses, various wires, etc.

Tom

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You also need to remove the exhaust headers, and throttle bodies, and anything else in the way, as well as coolant hoses, various wires, etc.

Tom
Thanks Tom ! All of that stuff is already off ... The engine is on my workbench now I just need to get the appropriate tool to fit in there to remove each of the 4 head bolts but I felt it was unnecessay to remove everything else as the workshop manual says but I just wanted to be sure I can do that :)

thanks for confirming it

Migrane

1 - 12 of 12 Posts