Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this seems so trivial but I couldn't figure it out in the little time I had today to work on my bike. I couldn't get a wrench in the little cutout the neutral switch is in to loosen it. It's connector plug was too large to thread it's wire through a socket as well. Has anybody adjusted or removed their neutral switch? My year is '99 maybe other years have more room to fit a wrench there.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just did it last week. The trick is to thread one wire at a time through a deep-well socket. Then, in my case, I just used a set of vise grips to tighten/loosen the switch.

Needless to say, if you can, use an old socket that you don't care about scratching up.

Have fun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had mine out a few weeks ago, i just disconnected the wire harness and any zip ties, fed the wires through the box side of the wrench (must be 12 pt.), loosen it a turn or two, then i was able to spin it out easily with my fingers.
Careful not to loose the shim/gasket.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses but I ended up only being able to get needle nose vide grips in there today. What a tight spot! I tried a flare wrench as well with no luck. My friend kept telling me to cut the wire so a socket could go on but I wouldn't have it. Glad I didn't.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I fitted a new switch last month using a regular ring spanner. The trick is to use it the 'wrong way round' to unscrew and tighten up. You want to have the ring on the nut with the shaft angled to the front of the bike, not the rear; there's a cut out in the engine case for that purpose and the shaft will clear the frame (on my '97). It seems counter intuitive; you naturally want to have the shaft angled toward the rear, but the frame gets in the way. The amount of movement you have is limited but it does work.

It's dark outside now, but I'll try and take a photo tomorrow showing you what I mean.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I cut a slot in a Craftsman deep socket wide enough for the wire and deep enough to engage the hex. Fold the wire into the slot and put the socket on the switch. It is sort of a one use solution but when you need it you need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts