Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
FWIW some of us think the Supersport is the best street bike Ducati ever made. The SS (FI or Carby) will do just about anything a street rider could want to do legally on the street. Congrats you have gotten your hands on a keeper.
I couldn't agree more. You will love the feel, sound, and ultimately the ability to shame bikes with twice the power and half the age. I bought my '92 new, and if the garage catches fire it's the first bike out.

I don't know about the 1000's, but the fork springs in the 900's were way to soft. So replacing these with racetech .95kg/mm, adding an Ohlins shock, along with Nichols engine bolts, and careful set-up utterly transforms them from very good to practically perfect in every way. The engine bolts made an amazing improvement in chassis stiffness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FWIW some of us think the Supersport is the best street bike Ducati ever made. The SS (FI or Carby) will do just about anything a street rider could want to do legally on the street. Congrats you have gotten your hands on a keeper.
+1, I remember ordering my 800SS back in 2004 then few years later realizing what a great bike it is and that I am never getting rid of it.

This was my 1st bike then and 800 was what i had guts for at the time. I still love it after 12 years of ownership.

GL with your bike. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
My first was an '05 SS800 in '06. Great bike though I must admit the 1000 is slightly better in many areas and overall much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
+1, I remember ordering my 800SS back in 2004 then few years later realizing what a great bike it is and that I am never getting rid of it.

This was my 1st bike then and 800 was what i had guts for at the time. I still love it after 12 years of ownership.

GL with your bike. :)
Thats awesome. My 800ss was my first ducati and I just fell in love with it. It does everything so easily, looks good, extremely stable and I couldnt dream of getting rid of it. Maybe just add a superbike :). I would have to agree the SS is probably the best overall bikes ducati has produced

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Great, smooth, and rare bike!

Great bike! I love mine - I can tour comfortably on it (plenty of space for bags and useful under seat cubby), plus it's very pillion friendly and it is a serious track tool (ok, only on short circuits or ones without long straights due to the lack of horsepower).

Get the forks sprung for your weight, replace the fork oil with some light stuff (5W or 7.5W), spend some time dialling in the suspension and handlebar, and controls, position and enjoy what it a truly versatile sports bike.

I fitted a Nichols flywheel to mine and a 14T front sprocket (good for the road, too steep for the track) and would recommend both mods for the street.

I too wanted to fit the carb fairings and seat unit but, after I'd started to appreciate its abilities, I now look at the bike differently and actually like the styling; it's not better or worse just different and more modern. :)

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
another update...

My first was an '05 SS800 in '06. Great bike though I must admit the 1000 is slightly better in many areas and overall much better.
'Love that paint scheme too!

The shop finally got the heads back from the machine shop and we can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. This past Saturday we met with the service manager and went over invoices, estimates and extra stuff we wanted to add while they had the bike. If all goes well and the weather cooperates there's a chance we'll have her back together and ridable just in time for the weekend.

bins of parts and the heads awaiting reassembly on the shelf above the master-tech's lift/bench...

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
how did I miss this?

Another update for those still tuned in... Yesterday afternoon I got a call from the shop, I was hoping it was them saying the Supersport is almost done and we could pick it up this weekend. Instead, it was another item that I missed at the time of purchase and realized I missed another price negotiating leverage point.

There's a crack/leak at the tank hinge. Here's a pic from last fall when we started taking the bike apart to clean and service and begin this adventure. If you look behind the hoses you can see the hinge a little separated and to the left of the hinge, the previous repair of the leak.

They're going to fix the leak and then coat the inside of the tank, so we're pushed back another week give or take, depending on their Caswell guy/gal.

Another lesson learned for me and another item has been added to my mental pre-purchase and general things-to-keep-an-eye-out-for-on-10-plus-year-old-bikes checklist.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Glad you're liking the ss! I've got a 99 900 and it does everything I could ask of it. Approaching 30k in miles and still pulls strong and is quick enough To get me in trouble! Had the suspension tuned for my size. But still need some thicker fork oil and probably new fork valves. But it's a great bike and fairly easy to work on! You can see a picture of it at www.trackdayfitness.com

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Finally!

We finally picked up the Supersport yesterday...

At home...

Because of dinner plans I only rode her a few miles from the shop to the house late yesterday. If the weather cooperates later today and/or tomorrow I'll try to get more seat time.

Initial impressions are that she seems a little peppier, idles smoother and she sounds a little different than I remember. Compared to the GT1000 with Termis the sound seems a tad less throaty but still music to my ears.

In a nutshell:
new valve guides and exhaust valves (and belts)
Caswell coated tank, fresh fuel filter and hoses
under body frame sliders
fresh clutch & brake fluids
throttle bodies synced
stripped drain plug replaced
new Shorai battery
rear sprocket carrier bearings

Favorite quote from the better half as we saw the final tally and made payment: "With as much as we just paid, you better do some track days!"

Sure!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Getting to know the SS better...

The last couple of weekends I've been able to log some miles on the SS, learned a few things and I'm starting to feel more comfortable on it and almost ready to sign up for a track day.

I had a panic attack the very first fill up after getting it back from the shop, I learned she can't be topped off as full as the GT. I parked it in the driveway after filling up at the corner gas station, went inside to take gear off and came out to see a puddle of gas...

What unsettled me most was when I looked closer I saw that the overfill drain tube drips above and near the exhaust.

This past weekend I went on the first extended ride out to the OR coast

Some recent take-aways:

I want some tank grip pads, it's a workout to try to support my torso with just my lower body to take weight off the clipons and to keep myself from sliding forward.

I think I can get by with the stock clipons, but want to add bar ends and likely will switch to bar end mirrors.

I need to be more mindful of my big boots, in some situations while in a curve my heel makes contact with the swingarm cycling if theres a dip or something to compress the rear suspension.

My lower back and core are getting stronger the more I ride the SS.

She's not a fan of cooler mornings and can take a couple of tries to eventually start.

Unlike our GT1000, I noticed the reserve light doesn't indicate how far you've traveled since you hit the fuel reserve.

That's all for now, thanks for tuning in!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the SSIE, but I don't think fuel should be leaking out the overflow when you fill it up. You might want to check to see if the hose is properly seated and tight inside the tank. On my carb model, the overflow takes fuel that is spilled on the top of the tank cap and drains it to ground.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
For many of the DUCs that I've owned, I've learned that the heat from the engine heats the tank quite a lot. Enough to make the gasoline expand, and then show itself in a surprising way. I recall my Pantah looking like an overflowing toilet one morning at the diner. We had fueled up, and then drove a short way to the diner to have b'fast.

I obviously topped up quite full, and the expansion just let it right out of the closed lid, down both sides of the tank (center stand only on the ol' Adrena-line machine).

Moral of story is, DON'T top up to very full, unless you'll be driving far, and not in stop'n'go city traffic!

Seen similar on my ST4s (carbon canister removed).
Note that it's a good way to "fill" and screw up your carbon emissions canister, if you have one...

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
For many of the DUCs that I've owned, I've learned that the heat from the engine heats the tank quite a lot. Enough to make the gasoline expand, and then show itself in a surprising way. I recall my Pantah looking like an overflowing toilet one morning at the diner. We had fueled up, and then drove a short way to the diner to have b'fast.

I obviously topped up quite full, and the expansion just let it right out of the closed lid, down both sides of the tank (center stand only on the ol' Adrena-line machine).

Moral of story is, DON'T top up to very full, unless you'll be driving far, and not in stop'n'go city traffic!

Seen similar on my ST4s (carbon canister removed).
Note that it's a good way to "fill" and screw up your carbon emissions canister, if you have one...
Yep, I topped topped it off after 20 mins at highway speeds, rode less than a mile then parked it.

I'll try to remember to take a look inside the tank before my next fill up.

'Looking forward to logging more miles on the SS!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I've done the same but even worse
Decided to place my helmet on the tank!
Take a break and come back to a helmet doused in fuel.
I didn't click the tank lid fully shut, drove off and ended up with the crotch of my jeans soaked with gas. Found out gasoline is quite an irritant, and I don't mean the smell.

Did you have to toss the helmet?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've done the same but even worse
Decided to place my helmet on the tank!
Take a break and come back to a helmet doused in fuel.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I didn't click the tank lid fully shut, drove off and ended up with the crotch of my jeans soaked with gas. Found out gasoline is quite an irritant, and I don't mean the smell.

Did you have to toss the helmet?
Whoa! With these two stories my tank overfill no longer seems worthy of posting. :)

I'm curious about your helmet too, I don't believe styrofoam or whatever the interior helmet material is would get along well with gas, let alone trying to not pass out from the smell on the ride home.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
...almost ready to sign up for a track day.
Yep it's the only way to really learn what your bike can do and how to do it!

...came out to see a puddle of gas...
I did the exact same thing on my first long trip with mine - stood around in the petrol station for ages waiting for the excess to leak off!

...What unsettled me most was when I looked closer I saw that the overfill drain tube drips above and near the exhaust.
Totally agree - it's a totally stupid design! Get yourself a length of fuel hose and make a new hose that routes to the rear of the bike, past the shock, and under the seat subframe (along with the rear electrics routing) and vent out the rear somewhere around the tail light and license/number plate area.

...I want some tank grip pads, it's a workout to try to support my torso with just my lower body to take weight off the clipons and to keep myself from sliding forward.
Yes I find it almost impossible to grip the tank successfully on track, I used some self adhesive EPDM material as a temporary fix but I've now bought some StompGrip traction pads for my 999 and noticed they're a very close fit for this tank too - so I'll order another set! Minimal trimming required and a large-sized pad!

...I need to be more mindful of my big boots, in some situations while in a curve my heel makes contact with the swingarm cycling if theres a dip or something to compress the rear suspension.
I get this problem too - the bike needs much larger heel guards. I've got some carbon ones for a 916 type bike that are much larger but haven't tried fitting them yet, hopefully they'll just require a couple of holes drilled at most.

Glad you're enjoying your new bike! I fitted a Nichols flywheel and thoroughly recommend it! Also try a 14T front sprocket - it helps! :D

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Techspec Gripsters

I was home today and it was unseasonably 90 degrees in Portland... I decided to install the Techspec Gripster tank pads (instructions say application surface should be at least 80 degree).

The pads are model-specific cut but for whatever reason trying to line the pads up was the hardest part and took a lot longer than I wanted it to take.

I didn't think about it until after I stuck them on, but the pattern on the pads work with the carbon fiber of the exhaust, bonus.

'Looking forward to a test ride when the weather and work schedule cooperate.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts