Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys may remember my thread detailing my lowside 4 days after taking ownership of my S1000, on the way home from the out of state purchase. I have just been acquiring parts (mostly from many awesome forum members here!) and biding my time, but today I worked on the bike all day and got it back to rideable. Replaced both clip-ons, termis, gauge cluster housing, levers, seat, etc. Of course, the tank and cowl are still scratched to hell, but I just couldn't resist taking it out for a spin after a month and a half of total abstinence! :eek:

Anyway, she was just as sweet as I remembered from our brief time together pre-spill. Such a blast to ride! In fact, I'm about to head out for another spin asap...

Thanks to all the forum members who've helped me out with parts, knowledge, and support. I will be posting photos very soon, when all is back to well. This is such a great place for our small contingent of us riders with exceptionally good taste in motorcycles... :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
I grew up in the P'ville area. Lots of good roads if you can avoid the flatlanders.

Have fun and stay on the rubber.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey, Tag. I'm new so I don't know the history, hope you weren't injured. I was beat up after a low-side many years ago, managed to ride the bike home and then was laid up for about a month. Then I started work on the bike. The first ride after that I was a little on-edge, but the smile was back on my face pretty quickly.

Glad you're out and enjoying it, be safe and keep smiling.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I grew up in the P'ville area. Lots of good roads if you can avoid the flatlanders.
Yeah man, I'm definitely looking forward to discovering all of them... :)

Hey, Tag. I'm new so I don't know the history, hope you weren't injured. I was beat up after a low-side many years ago, managed to ride the bike home and then was laid up for about a month. Then I started work on the bike. The first ride after that I was a little on-edge, but the smile was back on my face pretty quickly.

Glad you're out and enjoying it, be safe and keep smiling.
I got off easy with just some road rash on one knee and a broken heart over my new bike...but yeah, I experienced the exact same thing when I first got on the road - I felt real skittish for a few minutes. Especially since I did all the work on the bike myself, haha...

·
Registered
309 Posts
A cheer from the audience! ;)

I was going to get a Sport 1000 a year ago. Two years ago. I'm still an outsider here, bikeless, persistently lurking in the forum, sort of to remind myself what I'm working for. My country famously had an economic crash, the business side of my life has taken some interesting twists, and I still quite reach the carrot I've placed out in front of me.

I anxiously look forward to being able to fix my forum signature, "2006 yellow Sport 1000 Mono", it will say. But meanwhile, believe me when I say I'm extra happy for you that you got the bike, and got it running again. And that I know the long hunger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tag,

That's great to hear! Enjoy yourself. I am a little behind you...found out last Friday that my PS was totaled. Hope to get back out there soon. All the best.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear you're back on the road :) Looking forward to the pics.
Yes, photos will certainly be forthcoming as soon as she's purdy enough again...

A cheer from the audience! ;)

I was going to get a Sport 1000 a year ago. Two years ago. I'm still an outsider here, bikeless, persistently lurking in the forum, sort of to remind myself what I'm working for. My country famously had an economic crash, the business side of my life has taken some interesting twists, and I still quite reach the carrot I've placed out in front of me.

I anxiously look forward to being able to fix my forum signature, "2006 yellow Sport 1000 Mono", it will say. But meanwhile, believe me when I say I'm extra happy for you that you got the bike, and got it running again. And that I know the long hunger.
Yup, I waited a bit over a year to be able to get mine. Which I think made it all the more devastating when I put it out of commission so quickly! Plus I had already spent my last dime on getting the bike in the first place and now I've had to spend dimes I don't have on repairs, haha. But anyway, it's definitely worth it man. Keep your eyes on the prize.

(Also, your avatar pic cracks me up. Is that what the S1000 will replace? :D

Tag,

That's great to hear! Enjoy yourself. I am a little behind you...found out last Friday that my PS was totaled. Hope to get back out there soon. All the best.
Dang, sorry to hear that man! I'm sure mine would've have been totaled as well if I had ran it through insurance. However, the frame was straight, and all the damage was just parts/cosmetic, so I've been slowly getting her back to where she needs to be, piece by piece. It IS maddeningly time consuming however! :think:

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
your story was such a sad one - i could just imagine it... and i'm glad to hear that your back out there. i've had a couple of crashes and was lucky enough to walk away with minimal damage to self and bike, but they take it out of you either way.

regarding the rash on the bodywork: nothing wrong with riding it that way. you may not want to keep it that way forever, but the rash certainly shows you ride it (vs. stay home and polish) and lets you relax about the bike a little. when they're totally perfect it's easy to be way too uptite about the bike. a little "patina" adds character and life to the bike - and a bit of street cred...

congrats on getting out there again :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
your story was such a sad one - i could just imagine it... and i'm glad to hear that your back out there. i've had a couple of crashes and was lucky enough to walk away with minimal damage to self and bike, but they take it out of you either way.

regarding the rash on the bodywork: nothing wrong with riding it that way. you may not want to keep it that way forever, but the rash certainly shows you ride it (vs. stay home and polish) and lets you relax about the bike a little. when they're totally perfect it's easy to be way too uptite about the bike. a little "patina" adds character and life to the bike - and a bit of street cred...

congrats on getting out there again :)
Yeah, it was terrible, spilling the bike just a few days after acquisition...no one at home even got to see it before it was all banged up and unrideable! But I will definitely mirror your sentiments and say I was very lucky to walk away and very lucky that the bike wasn't damaged irreparably!

Funny you mention the bodywork - I had a few people come up while I was out today and comment on what a beautiful bike it is, etc. I was standing there thinking "What!? The bike looks TERRIBLE right now!" but obviously I am blowing the small scratches a bit out of proportion haha.

·
Registered
175 Posts
great to see all's ok!
re scratches, if they're on the tank you might want to purchase a tank cover - i did this to hide a couple of small scratches. this will at least help a little to conceal the damage... you might find a second hand one.

(i stupidly, accidentally caused small scratches on my tank 2 weeks after purchase:mad: and you wouldn't know they're there)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts