Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, hello,

I've been lurking here since a road trip on my BMW to WVa in May, salivating over the thought of getting a Multi, a PP, and making it mine with goodies, as many of you have done. Priced it, & even chased a new used one that sold in 24 hours...

I come from BMW airheads, RT's then a KGT till I sold in 2006, to switch an MV F4. Currently and for a few years now I have a '75 BMW 90S and a '05 MV F4. But I want to get back into sport touring. So you can see why I am looking at a Multi...

I am 6'1" 205#. Crossed 50.

So my dealer finally gets a demo touring and I take it for the morning. The fit and finish was excellent and I was really glad to finally get on the machine. I got a good chance to try all modes except enduro, and thought the ability to do it on the fly was cool. Front braking excellent, not overpowering or touchy, a good feel. The back brake good for holding on a hills only. The engine power delivery, gearbox and shifting nice & smooth, lots of power. I was comfortable, upright and ready to ride awhile. The exhaust sound ok , but my right heal did hit the cover. I would opt for a bit more growl. The center stand was not bothersome to the left heal, as you guys know. I would probably change the grips to a bit thicker.

All was fine until I decided to get on the freeway to get up to real speed at which the Multi was great BUT the wind noise was really 'horrible' for me, screen up or down. Unlike any cycle I have had before. Only solution would be a larger screen, such as a C-baileys or such, like I've had on my other BMWs. It would go on for those extended trips.

Another anoyance was the passenger seat infringement on my butt...there is NO ability to "stretch out" or comfortably tuck behind the screen at speed.

So I got off the Multi less than thrillled at the possibility of dropping big money on my first ducati mistress. I thought to myself, " wait a bit, you are in no rush, see what evolves with the multi in years to come..." "Wait a year and buy someones sorted out machine when they are ready to move on."
I realize how important a test ride, as I was prepared to buy one without.
I have to love my cycle mistress, and have no doubt that she is for me. At this time I have doubt..but come next season, maybe not!

Thought I would share my thoughts tonight.

Ride safe,
Peter

·
Registered
144 Posts
You have to spend your money on what makes you happy and serves your needs. I can tell you, the Multistrada is an awesome bike. I was skeptical about getting one. I sat on one with my wife. I was offered a test ride but went with it on gut. However, with 2K on my 2011, the bike truly lives up to the billing, at least in my humble opinion. The exhaust can be made much nicer with an aftermarket exhaust. I went with Termignoni. I believe other forum members have found solutions to the wind noise. I personally don't find it to be a problem for me (I do wear ear plugs). In fact, I put a PP carbon screen to make it look even more sporty. The seat issue, I'm not sure what can be done about that. I went with the touring seats for a bit more comfort, but the issue you mentioned is still there. However, it doesn't bother me. I actually like it cause it locks me when I really whack the throttle. My wife enjoys riding pillion. We bought a top box for it, which works great. The bike is comfortable, fast, and fun to ride. The bike looks great. I have even started to appreciate its snout. Good luck with your decision. I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
What other bike is BETTER in every way?
The perfect bike would be hard to find made for the masses...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Search on here and you'll find there's no real, total solution to the wind protection on this bike. Some partial solutions, none perfect. I've gotten used to it and the stock screen is fine for me now.

Regarding the seat, that's not a difficult fix. Corbin's aftermarket seat, while not super stylish, recontours the whole section and adds another 1.5" to the front section, which is a fair bit. Regardless of what people say, Corbin makes great stuff, (if the seat pan fits your bike properly). Another option is to have any number of seat companies rebuild the pillion and shorten it front to back.

Sargents new Multi seats are due out any day, week, month or year, and perhaps they may respace things as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've put 600 miles on my 2012 and not been bothered by wind noise or buffeting with the stock screen but I always ride with earplugs on. I rode it once yesterday home from the first service, having forgotten my earplugs, and wow it was noisy :). Those who ride without earplugs will suffer hearing damage over time, regardless of bike, so problem solved with $15 worth of hearos, which you should be wearing anyways.

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
Buy them by the box when you find the ones you like.
I know many people who have hearing damage just because they did not use the protection provided at work.
No fun having rining of the ears ,when preventable...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Buy them by the box when you find the ones you like.
I know many people who have hearing damage just because they did not use the protection provided at work.
No fun having rining of the ears ,when preventable...
eh? what was that middle part?

·
Super Moderator
5,660 Posts
Aztec spacers should become a stock item!

Hey Reopropf, I hear you. I ride a PP and love it more each day, but I agree that the stock screen is tiresome after a while at highway speeds. I've been back and forth to New Hampshire three times this week, 2 hour rides each way and I feel relief dropping to 60mph when I pull off the highway onto back roads after even half an hour at 85-95mph.

So, this evening I installed a set of Aztec spacers (see other threads for reviews). THEY REALLY WORK. Makes the stock screen feel twice as big. Reduces wind noise and pressure by 30-40mph. I was afraid the more upright fairing position would hinder acceleration, but nooooo, Multi still gets up to pass like the dickens in 4th and 5th gear. I doubt any other touring-adventure bikes have this much thrust at the higher speeds (Like the honey badger, Multi is pretty badass, it runs all over the place, it don't give a shit). 90mph in 6th gear is right at 5K rpm, just getting into the power band. And with the spacers now it sounds like 50mph. Really.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Aye, the wind noise is an issue for many (most?). Had my MTS now for about 900 miles after not having a bike for 8 years or so. Loving it so far. The Aztec spacers made a big improvement over the stocker screen for me (5' 11.5" tall), but it can still be a bit punishing with even a mild breeze out at freeway speeds. Like any woman that stirs the soul, this one is a bit noisy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts