Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I caught a flat today back tire @ about 70 with my girl on the back. it was very interesting and I was able to pull the bike over with no problems, which I am very proud of myself for. The rim is still tip top.
But my question is should I plug it or buy a new tire ?? I can see the hole as its very noticeable. I will go either route, but I would prefer to go the cheapest route, seeing I just dropped 170.00 for the tow. Now, the bike is at my house so to bring it to the dealer will be another tow, plus the install of the tire.
Any suggestions on how I should handle this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
F-

PS- If I should get a new back tire, where can I get a deal on a corsa 3 and have it shipped to me asap ?

·
7,733 Posts
Hello,
I caught a flat today back tire @ about 70 with my girl on the back. it was very interesting and I was able to pull the bike over with no problems, which I am very proud of myself for. The rim is still tip top.
But my question is should I plug it or buy a new tire ?? I can see the hole as its very noticeable. I will go either route, but I would prefer to go the cheapest route, seeing I just dropped 170.00 for the tow. Now, the bike is at my house so to bring it to the dealer will be another tow, plus the install of the tire.
Any suggestions on how I should handle this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
F-

PS- If I should get a new back tire, where can I get a deal on a corsa 3 and have it shipped to me asap ?

This is why I'll never own a street motorcycle with spoked rims and tubes. That you were riding an aluminum tubless rim was why you were able to safely bring the bike to a stop, as the only way for the air to escape is through the puncture hole, unlike a spoked rim with "holes" at every spoke.

If you say the hole is noticable, get a new tire, If it was small, I'd say plug it if it was in the centre. The bigger the hole the greater the damage.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
if the puncture is NOT on the edges of the tire, is fairly centered, and your not going to do a track day with the tire, i would get a plug in it.

i have used plugs in the last three tires that have had punctures on the center of the tread ... and each plug has held air and lasted the entire (pun intended) life of the tread.

a good tire service group can assess quickly if your puncture is a good candidate for a plug, and can install the plug in a few minutes, without removing the wheel from the bike or the tire from the wheel.

ciao,
johnc

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
J-
I think I am going to try the plug, although all I read is people saying not too but none of the people seem to have anything to back up why not too use a plug.
Until I read about a tire blowing out or a plug popping out, I am going to assume this is some sort of fear tactic made by the tire manufacturer so they can sell more tires.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Motorcycle Tire Repair Guidelines

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=35718

Speed Rating

One issue to consider is the effect of the repair on the speed rating of the tire. Any reduction in speed rating can’t be easily quantified given the variety of puncture types and locations. A Z-rated (149mph+) tire relies on on strong steel or synthetic fiber reinforcing belts and rubber compounds to withstand the combination of forces at high rotational speeds.

Plugging a tire can increase the damage to the tire’s cross-plys which is why most repair shops steer clear of the potential liability issues by refusing to repair a motorcycle tire.

Other countries take a different approach to the concern.

In the UK, motorcycle tires are repaired according to British Standard BS159F that specifically does not permit repairs to tires with a Z speed rating or above. Most modern sportsbikes are fitted with Z or W-rated (168mph+) tires, and consequently cannot be repaired if the shop stays within the British Standards. Only a “temporary repair” would be allowed.

Most of us ride well below the speed rating of our tires so this may not seem to be of major importance to you, but it definitely is an issue to be remembered when you ride on a repaired tire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got a small hole in my rear tire and pluged it. as off to date no problems. There is a kit made by stop n go that in my opinion seems to be the best out there but at the time I pluged mine I was not able to find any body in this area selling that brand. Instead of a cord they are like a mushroom when installed the head will expand over the hole, It looks like a great idea I think I will try to order some.:cool:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have run some plugged tires on my truck and off road toys without a problem. Personally, I would not on a street bike primarily for safety considerations and peace of mind.

If you have to spend $ on a tow, why not buy a Pit Bull stand and pull your own tire and spend the cash on soemthing you will have.

Out!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have run some plugged tires on my truck and off road toys without a problem. Personally, I would not on a street bike primarily for safety considerations and peace of mind.

If you have to spend $ on a tow, why not buy a Pit Bull stand and pull your own tire and spend the cash on soemthing you will have.

Out!
off road tires are a different animal and can be plugged with little or no probs,i wouldnt take a chance on the hyper spend another 180 bucks and have a better piece of mind.ive plugged a couple of wide tubless 280 dunlops on my choppers and found out the hardway$$$$

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a question. Did you buy the bike used? I am asking this because you had to pay $170.00 on a tow. If you bought the bike new you have two years of Ducati roadside assistance, or are there fees involved in using the program?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in the same boat a while back. Had 300 miles on a new bike and got a 1/16" puncture. I went ahead and plugged it. It has held pressure with no issues to date. Of course I am not setting any land speed records or planning any track days.

Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plugged this afternoon and holding air, but had a little bbq and some drinking so will put it too the test tomorrow. I will ride it until I can put a new tire on.

L-
I did buy the bike new, but didn't have the duc book with the 800 tow number , so I'll call and see if i can anything back on the tow, but I doubt I'll get anything. I will keep you posted on this issue.
F-

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
Picked up a wire in rear tire . Phoned shop to give them a heads up that I was coming they plugged and patched tire as I waited $40. rebalance 1/2 hour later done . I have been at speed with it no problem so far .I trust it was done proper by Qualified person..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I personally wouldn't run a plug because I change my own tires and typically run my track day take offs on the street, so I have several lying around.

I did recommend for a good bud of mine to try a plug because he picked up a huge nail in the center after only 200 miles on a $180 pilot road2. So far it has been working fine and he rides his gixxer 600 fairly quick.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
There's the solution. Plug your tire puncture, but then give it to a mate for testing on (preferably) a non-Ducati bike.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Get a new tire

Sure you're likely not to haved any problems with a plug, but will you be comfortable bringing it up to higher than normal speed, or leaning/turning harder than you normally do?

The tire is the main transformer of energy from your engine to the road, and from the road to your brakes, and from the road to the centrifugal force of your turns. It just does too much important work to be flawed in any way.

Accelerating, braking, and turning to my machines potential with confidence is worth the couple extra 100$ if you ask me. I just don't like pucker factor. Has no value (and increases risk unnecessarily).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts