Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Why would there be a toggle switch that controls the fuel pump?

It's located in the battery box area.

I have had this 2000 996S for a few years now and everything works fine but it has always bugged me.

Seller had very little information / history on the bike.

With the toggle switched to the on position (which is where I always leave it),

turn the ignition key to on and all is normal, lights come on, fuel pump primes, just like it would be from stock.

With the toggle switched to the off position, lights come on but no fuel pump prime.

Just wondering what it's function might be?

Is it a track bike thing? Maybe some previous owner did away with the keyed ignition at some point but has now been replaced?

Thanks for any help or info.

-karl

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Some kind of 'clever' :rolleyes: antitheft device, maybe?
That was my thought. Maybe there was once one of those trick track bike toggle switches in place of the key switch and a prior owner wanted to add some security? One more point of failure. I'd get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys.

Could definitely be a theft deterrent.

I tried to post a pic but apparently photo bucket has turned into a huge spam thing, and I just got annoyed with it all.

I would love to remove it (the toggle) but I'm electrically challenged and am afraid to upset the balance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've heard this recommended on other motorcycle forums. I don't see it being very effective though. Anyone with a hint of familiarity with a 996 would know you should hear the pump prime when the ignition and kill switch are on, and if I were trying to start a bike and didn't hear it the fairings would be off in 3 seconds and the switch would be obvious.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
and if someone was going to steel your bike, starting it is unlikely to be part of the process... I never really understood the immobilizer and similar technology on a bike. Theft of a modern motorcycle, unless the keys are left in it, rarely involves starting and riding away. A couple dudes in a van loading it and driving off would be more likely.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Who knows. I think all we can say for sure is there are people stealing bikes in lots of creative ways.

A year or two ago there was a very long and detailed AMA on reddit from an ex bike thief. An actual pro who moved a lot of bikes and ended up opening his own chop shop. He basically claimed that the "load it into a truck" guys didn't actually last long enough to steal a lot of bikes because they were often caught so quickly. His career (and, he claimed, the careers of all other long term successful thieves) was based on knowing how to hot-wire specific bikes so they could be ridden away. He'd scout a bike, then have someone drop him off already wearing his gear, then he'd break the steering lock, do the wiring work, and ride it off, all in the space of a few minutes.

Like you pointed out though the way ECUs are tied in to key chips now, that would be hard or impossible and the van theft is probably the easier method. That said, many of us don't own a bike new enough to have that tech so we're still vulnerable to the ride-off theft.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I found it. It's older than I remembered (4 years) but it's a really fascinating read:

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

Edit to add, here's some relevant content:

[–]enzo32ferrari2012 Ducati Monster 696 Stealth ABS 2 points 4 years ago
i know you answered this on the other thread, but i was wondering if you could "declassify" all your knowledge about theft toward Ducati motorcycles. thanks bud !
permalinkembedsavegive gold
[–]tremendousguilt 5 points 4 years ago
I don't want to give away too much, but if someone is planning on riding off on a modern Ducati among other things they'll need to show up with their own ECU.
When the 749/999 came out this was a HUGE leap ahead of the 916 series. The 916 series was painfully simple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts