Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOOOOOLLLLLLY XXXX! It's all I can say - this bike handles like it's on rails and runs great! 212 miles round trip - 100% joyful! I was smiling the entire trip - wish i had brought my GoPro for vid's and pics. However, I was getting a little sore in the wrist/shoulders. I set out at 0530, had breakfast at the top in Payson and was back home in 4-hrs before the heat set in for the day! Received some thumbs-up from a group of Panigale riders.

The ONLY thing I wish the bike had was another 30-40 HP, especially at the altitudes I typically ride. I'm a fit 6'1/230 and at times I wish I was 150#'s just to see what the ol girl would really do! LOL. Being use to former big liter bikes left me wanting more power, however, this bike would find the apex with no effort. Incredible!

Well, off to the garage to wipe the ol girl down and toss the cover on until next time! Just thought I'd share my first experience. :wink2: Fuel'd her up on the kickstand.....haha! Have a nice work-week gents!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice! I share your admiration for these bikes. You might find that after a while you will re-calibrate to its lesser Hp’s. You’ll begin to back off a little on the straights and “cruise” them. I find that’s mostly the difference between how I ride mine vs my Panigale. And since she’s an old girl, air cooled cylinders etc, I always have a bit of mechanical sympathy in mind too. The Panigale, in comparison, just warps me to the next corner quicker. In the corners, the 900ss is just as much fun in its own way. Those of us who ride them will get what I mean. (And that now includes you!)

·
Registered
190 Posts
P.s. I see that you are in Arizona. I am in Dubai, also hot conditions. You might want to consider the 848/1098 oil cooler mod. I did it to mine because in the hotter months the poor bike can get pretty hot too. I’m sometimes riding in up to 44C (110F). Above that and it’s just too ridiculous. In fact anything above 38C/100F gets challenging and can become dangerous. If you were to have an accident, for example, and assuming you are wearing proper gear/leathers, your body is already being physically pushed by the heat, so it can be a factor to how well you’d cope. I guess you’re already familiar with that stuff, but the oil cooler mod might be useful to know about.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Monster4Lee, thank you.

Hot Air,

Thank you also. Yes, like Dubai its HOT here! I typically don't ride in the heat of the day during the Summer months. We get up early, get our ride in, and head home before the 100+temp heat hits the valley! I'll look into the oil cooler upgrade, but will hold off until I see just how much I ride this bike. I have two others that I ride; '92 VMax and '16 Road Glide. I bought this 900SS CR specifically for rides like this morning only - no day-to-day commuting or in town light to light riding. To be honest, I bought this bike because it's extremely clean, sell taken care of/built, and I was missing my 1198SP Superbike which was being used for same purposes. Today I rode alone, but had I been with friends they'd be waiting on me all day because they are on 1199/1299 Pani's, S1000RRs, and other big liter bikes. This bike is amazing and handles very well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I live in San Tan Valley, southeast of Phoenix and ride an '05 DS1000SS. I love this bike and while I don't ride a lot when its over 100 degrees, I have on occasion ridden in 115+ weather. My bike, with a bit of mechanical sympathy from me, has never complained.
As for power, I rode a 500GTL for a long time so the 85-90bhp from my SS keeps me very happy, as does the ability to maintain the bike myself. There is something about the SuperSports that is difficult to quantify, but for some of us they are just right.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the oil cooler tips mod ideas guys. I'll probably leave it alone since its doing just fine for now.

Facing a much bigger issue now; great career opportunity to work and live abroad for professional development purposes - 3 to 5-yr stint in Europe. Problem is I can only take 1 of 3 bikes with me. The choice will be my Road Glide. My VMax will be put to sleep at my parents place; will never part with it. That leaves no room for the 900SS CR, so I may be forced to sell it. :frown2: I have until Monday to make a decision........

·
Registered
190 Posts
Whereabouts in Europe, if you don’t mind me asking? Heaps of 900SS available in Germany for some reason. Some quite good ones at good prices. I bought my very clean 1996 SS/SP 31,000km for 3,200 Euro. I am owner number 4. Owner 3 bought it off his best mate. They were stereotype Germans, everything just so. Bike kept in corner of neat and tidy garage in neat and tidy family home. Wife wasn’t happy about him having the bike, hardly let him ride it. Then he had a low speed spill (very minor scratches) and she made him sell it.

Good luck with your decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts