Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a DP Performance upgrade (Exhaust, ECU & Airbox) for my 2007 ST3 that I should be getting in a week or so. I am really thinking about wrapping the pipes with the black Thermo Tec exhaust wrap before having them installed. I have to admit that a big part of the decision is cosmetic...I really like the look of the black wrapped pipes. Of course, it would also be nice to reduce the heat coming off the pipes on those hot SOCAL days and possibility of gaining a pony or two is always a plus.

I've researched the threads and found some, like George in Dallas, who loves his but others are not nearly as convinced. I ABSOLUTELY don't want to do anything that would cause any potential damage to the bike.

I thought I would pose the question to the forum. Your thoughts on this are appreciated. As always, thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wrapping headers

I've wrapped headers on my GMC 1/2 ton, and on a couple of sleds. I didn't do it for the extra ponies, since I really didn't notice any advantage. Probably an average Joe wouldn't expect and increase in power.

The main reason I wrapped the pipes was for heat protection. On the GMC, the headers melted some poorly placed wire harnesses (not by me, of course). I liked the look and I especially like the look of the electrical harness that didn't melt!

In the Great White North, we really don't have an issue with heat. Hey, we're up here cheering for Global Warming! Bring it on!

Cosmetics is as good a reason as any to wrap your pipes!

·
7,733 Posts
I've never done it myself, but the cons I've *heard* about for other bikes I've owned with in-line fours are that the wrap traps water if riding in the rain and could promote rust, (apparently some stainless steels can rust) and that the header pipes can get so hot they deform. I can't verify either. :)

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I've never done it myself, but the cons I've *heard* about for other bikes I've owned with in-line fours are that the wrap traps water if riding in the rain and could promote rust, (apparently some stainless steels can rust) and that the header pipes can get so hot they deform. I can't verify either. :)
Yeah, if you put more than the recommended layer on, it can trap too much heat and make the pipes glow. Low quality stainless steel can get rusty. Because our pipes are exposed to the elements, the wrap gets abused after a while and looks bad. It is a good idea, old school really, and cheaper than ceramic coating, but just be prepared to replace it once in a while.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wrapped pipes look cool on fair weather, show or drag bikes. But once exposed to the elements (like you would on an ST) end up looking like shit, IMO.
I would stay away from it. But I guess if things start looking ratty, you could always take it off.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'd wrap them, not for more power or appearance, but to reduce the amount of heat the rear shock is exposed to. Any water traped in or under the wrap will rapidly turn to steam and evaporate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
After a few months....Wrapped looks like Crap :eek:. Do a search on cermaic coating, not JetHot but true ceramic. Significant cooling, enhanced exhaust gas flow and durable. The only draw back to some may be cost $150-$250

There are several color choices available if your interested :rolleyes:

·
Registered
920 Posts
If I were going to wrap my headers, I'd go ceramic. Not only is it permanent, I feel it would look better on our sexy Italian beauties.

I keep hearing plenty of negative reasons, but none seem very plausible. I'd like to reduce the heat in the summer as well, but every winter it feels nice.

Every time this subject comes up, I walk away frustrated and end up doing nothing! Does anyone have 1st hand experience with ceramic coating for the long term? I mean specifically with a motorcycle that is actually ridden for extended periods of time in the heat? I can't imagine it won't help with the heat issue, buy at what cost? More heat to the cans, etc.?

I would even be willing to buy an extra set for winter and summer use.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
I'll jump in here too... I wrapped the pipes on my old SS. My experience is the same as others here. The horizontal pipe looked like crap fast, especially where it bends away from the head and runs along the bottom to the crossover. I scrapped a speed bump and it basically unraveled. It was only on for a few months before I took it off. When off, I saw the mess it made on my pipes. I did it for the heat reduction. I don’t think it made that much of a difference to be honest. Not that great of a mod on a bike if you ask me. If I ever do anything to mitigate heat on the ST, it will be the ceramic coating.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
In theory, insulating the exhaust pipes on a motorcycle should give more benefit than doing that on a car. The reason is because the pipes on a motorcycle are subject to a lot more air flow, which cools them off much more so than in a car. So, doing something to insulate the pipes should be high on everyone's list of things to do. The fact that our pipes are exposed is one of the drawbacks for using header wrap.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I did the JetHot thing....

Hello

I've done the JetHot coating on both of my ST4S's. As far as I can tell, it is a ceramic coating.
It's coated on both the ID and OD, I got the "Super Silver" or some such thing as a base, with a black over the silver on the OD. Looks great, seems a few degrees cooler on my shins/thighs, water temp's are five or eight deg. higher, so I think they insulate a bit.
A bit pricey, but they look a lot better than the cacked-up stock pipes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great input!

Thanks All!

Great ideas....after reading all the replies and doing some research I've decided to go with a black ceramic coating. There is a place in Huntington Beach I talked with that is not too pricey and they have great references.

As always thanks to everyone for their thoughtful input. I'll post pictures once I get them installed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wrapped mine, problems!

I wrapped mine to shield the heat from the rear shock, under the engine and to protect my boots. 3 months after wrapping them I noticed leakage and a burning sensation. After consulting with several experts they advised me to put 15 ml of tetracycline into gas tank everyday for two weeks. They also advised me to use a less porous wrap and to use better judgment of the roads I ride. Just kidding, Been a year and no problems, just less heat and no more melted heels on my boots.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've had the heat wrap on for about 5 months with no problems. I used a 1/8th inch wrap. It smoked the first heat cycle, but after that it was fine. It has helped with the heat tremendously. I like the looks as well. Here is a picture so you can get an idea what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello

I've done the JetHot coating on both of my ST4S's. As far as I can tell, it is a ceramic coating.
It's coated on both the ID and OD, I got the "Super Silver" or some such thing as a base, with a black over the silver on the OD. Looks great, seems a few degrees cooler on my shins/thighs, water temp's are five or eight deg. higher, so I think they insulate a bit.
A bit pricey, but they look a lot better than the cacked-up stock pipes.
Hey Guido, do you have any pics of your pipes with the JetHot coating?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hello, Paul

I've got a couple on here somewhere...I'll try and find a link to the thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I used some heat wrap on my WRX and after a while it kind of looked like crap so I took it off. Looked good initially and I did it for aesthetics mostly too. But Wow the exhaust pipe looked even worse after I took it off. it left a strange waffle pattern on the pipe that would not come off with anything I tried. I would go with a cermic coating if I ever do it again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On a previous Ducati (90 750 Sport), the pipes came wrapped. When I unwrapped them, they were severely pitted. I took the pipes in and had them ceramic coated. The performance was just as good and no need to worry about the side-affects of wrapping. The Sport had come from MI, a (compared to New Mexico) humid climate, which may have caused moisture to become trapped between the wrap and the metal, accelerating the formation of rust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts