Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on performing my first valve service/belts with the help of LT’s manual. I have average skills and I am afraid that I will not have the valves and belts done before my next long weekend on the bike. The bike is a 06 ST3 with 12,000 miles on the clock and the 6000 mile service was done on time. Would you perform the service before embarking on a 1500 mile trip or wait until I get back from the trip? I will change out the belts before the trip because they are the OEM belts that are 5 years old. Thanks for any suggestions!!!

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Considering all you have to take off to get to the belts, I would go ahead and at least check the valves. If they're much off, I would get them into spec.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
7,733 Posts
The mileage is one thing, the number of months since last service another re the belts. To go a little over is probably not a big deal re shims, but if the belts are original, change them before you go imo.

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
I agree...strip the fairings to change the belts. While your there at least check the valves. You may find that everything will be in spec.

If not, it's not really that difficult of a job. Here's a few '06 ST3 tips. You'll need to cut down an Allen wrench to access the bolts on the horizontal exhaust valve cover. Some people say you have to drain and remove the radiator...not so on the ST3...just loosen the mounting bolts and let it hang. That will give you plenty of room. One other tip, if you have to change some shims, modify the clips that keep the rockers in place. File a small groove at the top of the clip...this will facilitate getting a pick or a small screw driver in to pry the clip out on the next valve adjustment.

Good luck!

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
The clearances make a huge difference in the way the motor performs. You still have a young motor that will be settling in for quite a while. I'd definitely check the gaps, but you may find yourself surprised.

Setting the clearances to LTs recommendations significantly improve smoothness and performance. It is two full days of work, max, for me. That includes the fuel filter and coolant swap along with an EFI set up at the end. I was able to get it all done in one long day this last time, but I put off the fuel filter.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!!! You guys have a great point in that I should do everything while the farrings are off the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts