Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the "voice" of your Duc change much after the swap to hi-comp pistons? Kinda like the bass. Thinking of the change come fall. To busy trackday-ing the bike now. Thinking no airbox lid, timed cams, hi-comps, and new map all done under one roof at Ferracci (I'm kinda close). BTW...do "colder" plugs need to go with it? Thanks all!:)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I put a 944 kit with Keihin Carbs in a 94 Monster years ago. Unfortunately it had D and D pipes on it which in my opinion are too loud. The bike came with them when I bought it used and I didnt change them. After the piston and carb and open airbox installation I think the bike had a deeper sound to it. Still obnoxiously loud. I took it to a track day and let my son ride it. I remember being at the end of a long straight at the wall watching him blast into the first high speed turn (about 130 mph). It sounded like a Nascar, I swear. Very badass.

Mike

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just got a 01 900ss two days ago that has a 944 kit Remus Slip ons and a choped air box with pc3. It has a consideralbe different sound than my 94 900ss with Ferraci Exhaust and open airbox but it is just a different kind of sexy to me :).

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
When I put the hi-comps on my 1992, that was the only change I made at the time, and it definitely gave it a deeper sound, and more of a bark than before.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Since I installed the high compression pistons I feel like I ride another bike.... ;)

More torque everywhere and the power doesn't drop too quickly above the 7000-7500rpm

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I had the heads ported plus added 10.5:1 DP pistons to my '99 SS many years ago (plus slip-on CF mufflers, an opened airbox and a PC2). It ran very lean before 4000 RPMs (the dyno tune focused on 4-9000 RPMs), so it didn't run well around town. I had a friend experienced in injection tuning add fuel in the 0-4000 RPM window and that helped a lot. This year I went one heat range colder with the spark plugs (NGK Iridium DCPR9EIX 2316) and it seems to help eliminate that last bit of light detonation I had experienced.

The sound? I changed all the parts at one time, so my comparison is to the stock bike/mufflers - it sounds way more aggressive, of course.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Did anyone get their high compression pistons with a ceramic heat barrier coating on the tops? It is an option with the JE pistons at least.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unlike some when I fitted HC pistons there was no increase in bass tone or volume - the clutch was still the loudest!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Dunno but to my ear, it may have been bassier stock. Definitely a lot louder with a lot more intake noise with the 944 11:1s and FCRs but I'd almost call it a machine gun b-r-a-p rather than the definitive bass sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts