Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster.. so hello!

Have always had a love for the Italian breed and finally doing something about it.

LONG time rider (7+ years), all sport bike (started on a 250, graduated up to an SV, then went down the road of race bikes for 5 years, everything from a 600 to the lovely 1k).

Spent 2 years racing for a Suzuki factory team, and now I live in Los Angeles and mainly ride just to relax and get out.. so I'm looking for something with much more character then my GSX-R750.

So here's my dilemma. I WANT a sport classic, no questions about it. .I'd like to go with a monoposto or Paul Smart LE, most likely a PS LE.. BUT here's my problem, there's just no way to carry a passenger on this bike is there? with the doubled up shot gun exhaust there's just no place for rear pegs is there?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
LONG time rider (7+ years)...
Gotta love young people :rolleyes:

With the doubled up shot gun exhaust there's just no place for rear pegs is there?
You are correct. I'm sure a talented individual could come up with something, but I just can't see how it could look acceptable.

Edit: Course, you could always add a sidecar :abduct:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotta love young people :rolleyes:

You are correct. I'm sure a talented individual could come up with something, but I just can't see how it could look acceptable.

Edit: Course, you could always add a sidecar :abduct:
well, I am only 25.. I have years ahead of me :)

Thanks.. all in all, the passenger thing to me doesn't really matter.. it's more of riding for me.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The fact is that chicks dig bikes. If you are single (and into chicks) you can't ignore that fact and need passenger pegs.

If you are hooked up, ask yourself how often you will *actually* ride 2up. I bought a GT because "back in the day" the woman and I would ride 2up all the time. It was glorious and if your significant other is into it, those will be great times and great memories.

In my case, the woman doesn't want to ride anymore and rarely goes with me. I should have gotten a Paul Smart...

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Get the GT

listen to Barfer... he is so right on... but I would have added a solo bike and kept the GT.... there might be another woman for him soon HEHEHE

Hi and welcome... there are many of us here that own GT 1000 I also own a supersport... I have to tell you the GT 1000 is a great bike for two up go to 14t on the front sprocket....
your needs are different for two up.... I have my supersport set up for solo and I ride the GT on weekends with my son now he is twelve but about 5'8" and 160+ (with size 12 1/2 shoes!)

we fly on that thing.... I recently went down to 40 t rear and it is fantastic... more that most pillions could handle... we ride hard and fast and the GT never does anything put perform perfectly... Just my 2 cents....I think it is the BEST BIKE IN THE WORLD FOR TWO UP! :cool::D

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

I cut my teeth on a home built 750 Honda Cafe Racer with an 820 kit back in the seventies....When I saw my first Ducati one day, I fell in love….it was a 900 SS bevel… thirty years later, I have two Ducatis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the input you guys!

My biggest problem is that I want to go with a PS that I found down in San Diego with very limited mileage on it for the fact that, well it's a PS, the ohlins setup and wheels stock, and the fact that it's a mono setup..

BUT, I am single.. i do date a few girls that like motorcycles.. I think a passenger on this is more intimate and memorable then throwing her on the back of my GSX-R1000 and scaring the **** out of her.

It looks like I may go with SC 1000S .. but i'm still undecided.. what's the cost for twin ohlins rear shocks, forks, and a set of wheels? about 5 grand?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The truth of the matter is that I do not like to ride with a passenger, particularly in the city, and for obvious reasons. But it's ALWAYS nice to have that option... because let's face it, who wants to make women feel totally excluded? (Unless you're not getting any there is no reason to pretend to be tough).

I faced a similar dilemma. I always loved the mono and the PS. When they announced the GT I thought: great! the sport classic bike I wanted with a dual seat and no clip-ons = more comfort. Then the GT arrived in the showroom and, I must admit, (sorry guys), it just didn't give me the same feeling deep down inside as the sport 1000. BUT THEN, my prayers were heard and they made the sport biposto.

Paul Smart aside, the functional differences between the mono and the biposto come down to 2 things: passenger and rear-sets. you have to sacrifice one for the other. everything else you can change or, well, if you're a purist you'll require a dry clutch, but personally I don't care. And that is what should be the basis for your choice.

If you're going to the track regularly with the bike, you will NEED rear sets, then forget the passenger and get a mono.

If you want the sport 1K and would like to take your lady for a ride once in a blue moon, then get a biposto. (on top of that I truly believe that the rear lines of the bip -dual pipes dual shocks- are prettier then the mono...).

there have been some solutions posted on this site to allow for rear-sets on bipostos, so you can do a search.

let us know when you get your bike and we'll hit the crest or something...
cheers!
D.

EDIT: you just posed your reply as I was writing this...
you don't need ohlins forks. you can find adjustable showas from an s4r for around $500, and then if you require it you can revalve them with ohlins internals for $800. dual rear shocks from Ohlins are $1300 a pair. The wheels on the PS and the S1Ks are the same. A pair of good wheels will run you at least $2k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you again!

I was actually talking to a fellow at BE Ducati while he was trying to sell me a 1098S about my desire for a SC, and he told me he actually has ONE PS LE still crated for sale.. of course the price is very high.. but maybe one of you guys here would like to jump on that?

So the Ducati SC1000S has a wet clutch correct? they made that switch along with the 848/1098s correct?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Thank you again!

I was actually talking to a fellow at BE Ducati while he was trying to sell me a 1098S about my desire for a SC, and he told me he actually has ONE PS LE still crated for sale.. of course the price is very high.. but maybe one of you guys here would like to jump on that?

So the Ducati SC1000S has a wet clutch correct? they made that switch along with the 848/1098s correct?
Before you settle on doing business with the nice folks at BH ducati, I would recommend to go see their competition: pro-Italia. They both have pros and cons, but competition is always healthy from the buyer's POV. We're lucky to have two premier dealers in town... (Del Amo does not count IMO).

The sport 1000s, the sport 1000 biposto, and the GT all have wet clutches. Only the mono and the PS have dry clutches. the 848 is wet, and I believe the 1098 and 1198 are dry.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Don't buy "the deal"

Buy "the bike"

That is, figure out what bike you want and go get the best deal for it. Don't do it bass-ackwards.

There are *loads* of good deals on bikes and you'll be able to easily find one for whatever bike you want.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thank you for the input you guys!
It looks like I may go with SC 1000S .. but i'm still undecided.. what's the cost for twin ohlins rear shocks, forks, and a set of wheels? about 5 grand?
I have a pair of Ohlins dual shocks I'm pulling off my GT that I'm going to get rid of (Kihei braddah, I actually did what you said and just bought both bikes). If you really are a 25 year old dude with no dough I'll let you have them for $600 for the pair as my charity donation. If you're some trolly troll I'll send you a box of poop instead.

DGJ is right about the forks, you can solve that problem pretty easily. For 100 bucks you can just swap the spring and that will be a totally acceptable compromise for the money.

In any event, haste makes waste--figure out what animal you want first. All I can say is: Chicks like bikes.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Find yourself a nice red 1000s. It is set up Biposto and has that "look"
Solving the suspension issues does not always require a "o" or big bucks and at the end of the day trying to make a Sport Classic into a Superbike may just make you crazy (no offense intended to the dedicated modifiers)
Add the lower fairings and be truly unique.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have a pair of Ohlins dual shocks I'm pulling off my GT that I'm going to get rid of (Kihei braddah, I actually did what you said and just bought both bikes). If you really are a 25 year old dude with no dough I'll let you have them for $600 for the pair as my charity donation. If you're some trolly troll I'll send you a box of poop instead.
DUDE. I want your ohlins rear shocks! for $600? are you kidding? :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
DUDE. I want your ohlins rear shocks! for $600? are you kidding? :D
I was feeling charitable for our young new friend here but he hasn't responded. For you, DGJ, since we are "internet friends" I'll give you the ohlins rear shocks for $300 + your ohlins TMSD. You can go buy a biturbo one from Greg to replace it. No joke. PM me.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I was feeling charitable for our young new friend here but he hasn't responded. For you, DGJ, since we are "internet friends" I'll give you the ohlins rear shocks for $300 + your ohlins TMSD. You can go buy a biturbo one from Greg to replace it. No joke. PM me.
Thanks barfer, but I am emotionally attached to my ohlins damper and I fear I couldn't recover from separation...

·
Registered
2010 Hyper
153 Posts
The fact is that chicks dig bikes. If you are single (and into chicks) you can't ignore that fact and need passenger pegs.

If you are hooked up, ask yourself how often you will *actually* ride 2up. I bought a GT because "back in the day" the woman and I would ride 2up all the time. It was glorious and if your significant other is into it, those will be great times and great memories.

In my case, the woman doesn't want to ride anymore and rarely goes with me. I should have gotten a Paul Smart...
I love this. If you are single, you need the biposto; married/dating you need the solo.

I had an '07 Sport1000, but after only a couple trips with the Mrs. I realized it wasn't as fun as I imagined. When the '07 had an accident, there was no question that I would replace it with an '06. I now own an '06 and love the solitude. Though I do have the dry clutch to keep me company.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts