Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your opinions, I might be ordering a custom made race suit, the off the shelf stuff doesn't seem to "fit" me well,:cool: and one of the options is the back "hump", do I need it? or want it? is it for aerodynamics? neck protection? other?
If its for the aerodynamics, I can't see it working on the Hyper, I can't "tuck" down low enough.
Back in the day, when racing with MX gear, we never rode with the "hump"so I really don't know, what do you guys think? get it? or not? Thanks Alex

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
It started out as an aerodynamic aid, but it has been designed to the point that it's now both an impact absorber and hollow pocket for a camel back in some designs (no shit!).

I opted for a custom Vanson suit without the hump ... I don't really need two out of the three things mentioned above and I don't like it enough to deal with the third.

Suffice it to say that you don't need it.

You going with Z Brand like Timmy?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It started out as an aerodynamic aid, but it has been designed to the point that it's now both an impact absorber and hollow pocket for a camel back in some designs (no shit!).

I opted for a custom Vanson suit without the hump ... I don't really need two out of the three things mentioned above and I don't like it enough to deal with the third.

Suffice it to say that you don't need it.

You going with Z Brand like Timmy?
Probably not the "Z" Timmy's suit looks too FAST!:eek: Aloha Alex

·
Registered
868 Posts
Alex... The hump is not needed for the aerodynamic on our bikes... but I'm a protection freak and I see the hump as something that will give extra protection in the event of a get off... Maybe you are rolling, maybe you highside and land on your upperback and helmet this will just be additional protection for this delicate area.

AND last but VERY important... My hump (A-stars leathers) is perferated and hollow so the air is injected down into your back, sort of like a scoop to aid in cooling off... especially with the back protector on it allows air to be forced into that area... make sure yours has the hollow vented hump

So yes get one... this is your Track Suit you are going to want the best protection and cooling since you are going to be pushing it. Don't skimp here.

Check the AGV or Fieldsheer suits they are a little broader in the midsection, if you go custom those Pilot suits are great and you have a discount card from Polen.

I just went to the big shops and tried on everything and they are all really different.. remember you want it to fit snug on your body

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
my track suit has a hump ... unfortunately, it's on the front of the suit where my 6 pack should be.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I need your opinions, I might be ordering a custom made race suit, the off the shelf stuff doesn't seem to "fit" me well,:cool: and one of the options is the back "hump", do I need it? or want it? is it for aerodynamics? neck protection? other?
If its for the aerodynamics, I can't see it working on the Hyper, I can't "tuck" down low enough.
Back in the day, when racing with MX gear, we never rode with the "hump"so I really don't know, what do you guys think? get it? or not? Thanks Alex
Doubt they offer any protection, it could do a lot of damage if you go over the top and land on it and besides they make you look like a twat

·
Registered
327 Posts
Alex... The hump is not needed for the aerodynamic on our bikes... but I'm a protection freak and I see the hump as something that will give extra protection in the event of a get off... Maybe you are rolling, maybe you highside and land on your upperback and helmet this will just be additional protection for this delicate area.

So yes get one... this is your Track Suit you are going to want the best protection and cooling since you are going to be pushing it. Don't skimp here.
+1100!
IMO, get the hump and hope to never use it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Alex...

AND last but VERY important... My hump (A-stars leathers) is perferated and hollow so the air is injected down into your back, sort of like a scoop to aid in cooling off... especially with the back protector on it allows air to be forced into that area... make sure yours has the hollow vented hump

i also got the alpine race replica w/ hump. not wild about the look of the hump, but the cooling effect is great. don't know exactly how much added protection it provides, but the more material between my spine and the asphalt the better.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
I bought an all black Frank Thomas suit on a serious sale, and it came with a small hump. I was told it was for aero.
Since the hump does not stick out so much, and everything is black.....I mostly avoid the festive parrot / hunchback look...I only wear it for longer rides, and will don it for the eventual track training.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A friend just got a custom suit from Helimot http://www.helimot.com/ . Great guy, never stops talking and damn near sold me a $3500. suit. He was saying that there is a small a/c unit that can connect to the suit hump but, no riding with it, starting grid use only. And also that he recommends a bag of ice be placed in the hump on those hot days. So there is a bit of use to it.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Get the hump. I have a large one on my Syed and a much smaller one on my Z Custom racing suit. I like the extra padding. If you're getting a custom suit they should be able to adjust the size of the hump.

BTW, both are great suits and survived too many crashes...

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I am not sure if the aero effect of the hump will help on the hyper unless you are doing a lot of tucked high speed riding. It makes a huge difference at higher speeds on sportbikes. It helps to keep the head from getting pulled back and thrown around by low pressure that happens behind the helmet.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
also think about the transition from your helmeted head to your shoulders and back. In the event of a highside and landing on your back the hump may save your spine from going pop.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You have to get it because you are the Mother "Hump"in Moose!!

McCain - Palin, gonna put the nail in, ..... the media elite, because she likes red meat :eek:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hump

I asked the company who made my custom suit about adding a hump.
Was told the aero affects work if your V. Rossi. And he has seen a rider's hump catch the edge of the track and started him tumbling after a fall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts