Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea to use an engine flushing fluid when changing the oil? It is common practise with car engines, the only potential issue I can see with a bike engine is that the gearbox also runs in the engine oil. Would this cause any problems? Anyone else used engine flush?

·
Registered
109 Posts
hi
Would be better to know what engine you've got and if there are any special circumstances.
I would only bother to flush if old oil has been in there for an eternity or I suspected something was floating around that shouldn't be. which means I haven't used flushing oil in years. Oil is so much better than 20 years ago.
As I change the oil in my Ducatis (and other bikes, but especially take care of the Ducatis) often and with good quality stuff, I consider it enough.
About the gearbox, there's no way that I would ride the bike with flushing oil in it, which means: I would also want to change the oil again soon afterwards to make sure that I've got the last of the flushing oil out!
Unless you've got a really good reason to flush, it's probably best to just get some fresh oil in there and change it often and regularly.
This is all just my opinion, I'm not a mechanic- maybe you need a professional workshop opinion.
all the best
Ian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts