Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a small scratch on my 999R Fila tank, that has been there for years. Its been there since the last owner. It is not glaringly obvious, but its there and it bugs me. Visited a trusted paint guy that has done other work for me, and he says he is confident he can easily fix it. I am torn whether or not its worth the risk. Best case scenerio its fixed and not at all noticable. Worst case scenerio, it has to be blended further, and i lose the original safety decals on the tank. I have new tank fila decals either way
This is not a rider bike, this is my garage queen with 1200 miles

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If you mean touch up with fix it, go for it.
I wouldn't repaint the complete tank.

·
Registered
937 Posts
All depends on how much you trust the painter. If the painter is good and has a professional paint match system he should be able to fix the paint so it will be very hard to see the repair. The damage to the clear over the decal is probably the most difficult and risky. If it were my bike, I would leave the damage over the decal alone.

Factory paint is different than aftermarket paint and paint is only original once (consistent color, fade, age with the rest of the original bodywork). Since the damage isn't bad, I wouldn't do it unless I knew the painter was going to make it better. If I doubted the painter, I would buy another tank and have him do a complete paint on it to see if it was a perfect match before I allowed him to touch the original tank. After a few decades it is likely that even a perfectly repainted body part will look different than the rest of the original paint due to age, which is why keeping original paint adds so much value.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All depends on how much you trust the painter. If the painter is good and has a professional paint match system he should be able to fix the paint so it will be very hard to see the repair. The damage to the clear over the decal is probably the most difficult and risky. If it were my bike, I would leave the damage over the decal alone.

Factory paint is different than aftermarket paint and paint is only original once (consistent color, fade, age with the rest of the original bodywork). Since the damage isn't bad, I wouldn't do it unless I knew the painter was going to make it better. If I doubted the painter, I would buy another tank and have him do a complete paint on it to see if it was a perfect match before I allowed him to touch the original tank. After a few decades it is likely that even a perfectly repainted body part will look different than the rest of the original paint due to age, which is why keeping original paint adds so much value.
This has no clear over the decals, anywhere on the bike.
I do have complete faith in his work, as i have had him do other repair work that was flawless.
I agree its only original once, and thats where the difficulty comes in. Condition or originality

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just Ride It

Seriously. Just ride it and forget about it. I have a couple of nicks on mine plus a nice crack in the glass on the tach face. Use to bug me, then when I twist the throttle I forget all about it.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
i vote don't fix, if you fix you'll find something else that bugs you, better to learn to live with bugs speaking from experience :)

if you want to spend some money on it, how about carbon fairings and an ali tank and ride it?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I say let your guy fix it, if he is as good as you say, whose going to know?
Only you and him right?
If a potential buyer wants to know about repairs, just be honest, it's close to 10 years old or more so what do they expect? You had a knick touched up, big deal.

Or just ride it, and don't stress, it's in the garage, so who is going to see it?

Oh yeah you, so it is up to you! :grin2:

Craig

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Garage queens need to be ridden too.

I'd probably have it fixed but i'd get it done right and spend the dough, clear coat the whole thing etc...

But seriously go ride that thing. It's like dating a VS model and not having sex with her..

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Seriously. Just ride it and forget about it. I have a couple of nicks on mine plus a nice crack in the glass on the tach face. Use to bug me, then when I twist the throttle I forget all about it.

This problem of the plastic cracking has become quite common, but not easy to fix. My mate in Sydney (The Rigger)has the same problem.

Craig

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,653 Posts
Speaking from experience, the first thing you should do after buying a new bike or car is take it out and get a scratch on it then you can stop being precious.
How many here have parked a new car as far away from everyone else in a car park for the first few weeks of ownership?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts