Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Every time I have to do maintenance on the bike I end up replacing three or four wellnuts, that my local dealer (never a better use of alternate meaning of a word!) sells me for like $3.50 a piece (yes, I know there are cheaper ones!).

Not only that, the wellnut that snaps is usually the last one I'm tightening, so I have to take down all the other screws to take off the fairings and replace it.

On top of that, the STs require removing pieces of fairing for pretty much anything. adding oil, coolant, replacing fuses, battery work, you name it. Perhaps it's time to take the Dzus route.

Has anyone done the conversion? Does it require mods to the fairing pieces?

Does any of you have a good supplier for good quality fasteners and not the cheap stuff sold on eBay? I see Desmotimes sells them for $6 (male) and $9 female, but I seem to remember someone was selling kits a long time ago and they were cheaper (or so I think).

Also, Desmotimes sells 14 mm and 17 mm Dzus. Which ones do I need? Which one to replace each type of wellnut on the ST? (M5 and M6).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PM

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The Dzus fastener is a system of components and sizes. If you can figure out a diagram, you can order any combination you want from A/C Spruce and Supply. If you need a one part number solution, you can stay in the motorcycle industry and get them from a repackager.

·
Mr Leakered
8,859 Posts
First, don't go to the dealer for wellnuts. The Duc ones seem to harden and fail. The ones that I bought from desmoparts.com stay soft and the brass insert doesn't come free, plus they are less than $1.00 each. I have only had to replace a couple of those in the last 9yr / 80k. Also, take a look at his SS fastener kits. Dirt cheap for what you get. The kit for the STs include longer dash panel screws, which really help with that middle one.

If in a big pinch, I believe that you can get wellnuts at Ace hardware also.

You shouldn't need to pull the fairings, just the dash panel, to fill the coolant.

Anyway, you can grind off the two hidden tabs for the two vertical fasteners on each side fairing. That allows you to pull the side fairings in about 5min without touching the upper fairing.

For those reasons, I see no need to mess with Dzus fasteners.

Have a good one.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
What model of ST do you have? New style models (MY 04 and later) don't require as much fairing removal as the older models. Some members have modified the fairings of their older models with aftermarket or home-made products so that complete fairing removal is not necessary for some maintenance.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
406 Posts
Agree with comments above .... fortunately I have cheap local supply of the quality well-nuts ( brass insert , soft rubber ) and truthfully , their removal for whatever reason is a bit finicky but not a huge difficult job , gives me time to ponder on what maintenance task I am going to be doing plus I kinda like the original look .... others , obviously disagree .... .... lots of other possible ways to spend money on the old Girl eh ?
Craig

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php

Kurveygirl has every size you could need. They even have the hard to find OEM 916 series fasteners (right shape and color) for a reasonable price.

I have not found removal of the body work a big enough issue that I was willing to hack up the OEM fairings. Oil and clutch? Right side lower only. Fuses, coolant? Top trim pieces. Yes, the rest is a PITA, but with practice it's not that bad. Your call though. I considered it for a while myself early on. I did find a long thread on a forum somewhere (I don't think it was this one) showing an ST conversion. Lots of cutting and hacking. It looked cut and hacked for the finished product to me as well.

I know of no "kit" available to do it except the bracket that you can get a Desmotimes to help modify the top piece as Tony pointed out. I have read you don't need that piece, but again I have not cut my fairings to test it out.

If you don't over tighten the well nuts, and use a little lube on the threads, they last a lot longer that you probably think. They really only need to be snugged up to hold parts in place. I like them a lot better than the plastic tabs present on most other bikes.

·
Mr Leakered
8,859 Posts
I know of no "kit" available to do it except the bracket that you can get a Desmotimes to help modify the top piece as Tony pointed out. I have read you don't need that piece, but again I have not cut my fairings to test it out.
Just to clarify, I trimmed the panels and had the DT fairing brackets on for many years, just holding the two wellnuts. It was mentioned that it was not necessary and I never really enjoyed trying to install the fairings by slipping it between the fairing bracket and upper fairing while nosing it into the chin fairing, so I pulled them off. Life has been great for a few years now.

Here's the old post from Robert that turned the light bulb on for me:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/116721-new-ducati-1999-st4.html#post1140650

He was using Dzus clips without the brackets. That might mean using shorter Dzus studs?

If anyone wants those (unnecessary) brackets, lemme know. They're yours for just postage.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,859 Posts
Plus 1 on this. My take on it as well after 11 years of ownership. Particularly the DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN AND LUBE. they do not need to be that tight. They do not loosen and I also think that some guys with cracked faring problems have routinely over tightened there well nuts......
Yep. The bottom fastener hole on the left fairing was broken by the original owner. There was a note in the service records to tell them to take it easy. Haha!

I do like to bottom out the wellnuts (mushroom them), but not tighten them. As said, they will not back out.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I have the brackets and even with dremel in hand I simply could not cut into my insanely expensive fairings to remove the tabs. Plus, with the wellnuts in the brackets, the holes on the middle fairings are much too big. I did some glue and spacer work to get that hole down to 5mm but just couldnt cut those fairings.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I have LT's bracket and have trimmed the fairings.
I was so happy with those Dzus fasteners that I just added the lower ones.
One of my favorite mods and well worth the effort.
They can be sourced cheaper, but I like to support the folks who support us (the Ducati community).
But then again, I'm just a fool in a clown suit.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I replaced all the fairing well nuts with Dzus. I used to fly a lot, so it brought back those memories. Also, I only had a carport, so keeping track of all those screws became an issue. Another Dzus plus is that it is a bit easier to line them up than screws and well nuts. As for size, most are 14mm, but there are a couple of places where 17mm works better on my ST3. The cost is not all that extravagant, about $30.00, and you aren't buying well nuts as often. There are places on the fairing where a Dzus will not work, though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nah,.....38 Screws to take off ALL of the front end fairings.Goes faster each time you do it.Should be able to get it down to 15-20 mins with a lot of experience....

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Nah,.....38 Screws to take off ALL of the front end fairings.Goes faster each time you do it.Should be able to get it down to 15-20 mins with a lot of experience....
Yes, but if I'm working on her in a less than perfect work space, say a motel parking lot or the side of the road (with the wind blowing), I'll take my Dzus fasteners every time.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Did the Dzus replacement on my ST4 many years ago. Very happy with the results. The Dzus fittings "find" the receptacle making it so easy to assemble. I bought a rivet gun and riveted the backing plates on. I highly recommend them.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Sorry bring up an old thread but after the need to remove the fairings a couple times this summer I was looking to complete my conversion to the dzus brackets. However, what do you do about the nose/chin fairing? Isnt it a PITA to wiggle those mid fairings between not only the bracket and front fairing but also that little chin/nose piece as well?

·
Mr Leakered
8,859 Posts
Bringing up old threads is always great.

I back out the two upper scews in the chin piece a couple turns. You can flex the chin and upper fairings to slip in the side fairing with no issues. My left fairing has been cracked since 2009 after a little get off and it has not become any worse in the many times that I pulled the fairings since.

Going Dzus will require you to slip the side fairing between the brackets and upper fairing which was a bit more work. I was happy to get rid of the brackets. Being able to get to anything under the side fairing in 5min is priceless.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The previous owner of my bike put the dzus fasteners on, and it's been a blessing thus far for cam belt replacement, battery replacement, and troubleshooting of my electrical system (using a power probe which requires the leads to be hooked up to the battery)

·
Registered
355 Posts
What do you guys do about the fiddly screws holding the infill around the gauges? I would like to be able to remove these without tools to get at fuses coolant bottle etc. Anyone know of some clips or would dzus fittings work here?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts