Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there

Bike (92 SL) isnt going to be used for 5 weeks. Have added stabil (cant get seafoam in oz) to full tank (non ethanol 95) riden for 10 mins. Worth draining the carbs or will the treated fuel be enough....?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Stabil is fine on non ethanol fuel for two months in my opinion. Consider draining the tank when you are ready to ride again to put in fresh fuel - might add an cleaning additive then (Lucas) if you are going to run the whole tank out at once.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
5 weeks is not enough to bother, even 5 months is not enough for the fuel having to be drained.

My bike sleep 6 months a year with a tank close to empty, when spring come, i start it and go to a gas station and put fresh one in, that's it.

I don't even put stabil in the tank.

On a carb bike i would just close the petcock (if you have a valve) and call it a day.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
NSW has moderately warm weather this time of year and very humid and rainy so putting in Stabil on a full tank won't hurt, but it doesn't burn as well. Since he already put the Stabil in I suggested he drain it when its time to ride. The lawnmower won't care about the quality of the fuel. With it being "real gas", no ethanol, it would surely been ok to leave it on a full tank without Stabil.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I think you are saying the tank is full. Having the air out of the tank is the biggest issue. Fill it up. Run the stabilized fuel through the bike so it is in any float bowls or fuel injectors. Then fill the tank to the top. 5 weeks, as already mentioned, is not an issue for even ethanol laced fuel unless you leave a tank nearly empty and then expect to start it and drive it to the gas station.

Various components in gasoline react with oxygen, or absorb water from the air. Don't let the air in. On fuel injected motors, the tank fuel will go directly into the injectors and foul them. On carb bikes that have float bowls, it is possible to start a bike and run it for a while on gas that has not seen much air and then stall out when the tank fuel refills the float bowls.

For prolonged periods, drain float bowls and gas tanks. Refill the tank entirely before restarting. Usually the fuel remaining in fuel injectors will not be a problem because of the near total lack of oxygen available there.

BTW, the plastic gas tank situation is a whole other matter.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
It'll be fine. I'd just ride the old fuel out of it when I returned.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
It'll be fine. I did a similar treatment on my bike.

Non-ethanol gas with Stabil in a full tank mixed per the instructions on the bottle, run through the carbs for 10 miles, then topped off the tank to 95% full. Bike sat with that same gas from November to April, started twice somewhere in the middle maybe, for a sanity check. Ran the old, stabilized, gas through it in April, then went to fresh clear gas with no issues.

There's no harm done in emptying the bowls if it's easy, like on a set of FCR's. I also recommend, with others above me in this thread, to also close the petcock on the tank. Make sure you leave yourself a note that the petcock is closed (and carbs drained if you did that too) on the bike for when you get back. I have an uncut key blank I put in the ignition with a toe-tag just for this purpose.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey there

Bike (92 SL) isnt going to be used for 5 weeks. Have added stabil (cant get seafoam in oz) to full tank (non ethanol 95) riden for 10 mins. Worth draining the carbs or will the treated fuel be enough....?
HIBERNATION for 5 weeks??? Damn you people with no winters!!! LOL.

Gas stabilizer will make you feel better, but for 5 weeks like some others have said, just park the thing. If you bike has a clock, or other parasitic drains, disconnecting the ground lead would be a good idea. Is it being parked indoors?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I agree. I'd put it on a maintenance charger. Put it on stands if you have them. The fuel is a non issue after Stabil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts