Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've go a new tank in the works and was wondering about the coating thing,I have visions of the coating cracking and flaking into the tank at some point.what's the long term hold up on this stuff?and what the process on getting the dealer on board with this and shipping the tank to let's say JC?I have been living with the spread tank but figured since I got one coming might as well get it,or am I better off staying with my old tank,or leaving the new tank alone?I love this bike and hate messing with it.:think:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've go a new tank in the works and was wondering about the coating thing,I have visions of the coating cracking and flaking into the tank at some point.what's the long term hold up on this stuff?and what the process on getting the dealer on board with this and shipping the tank to let's say JC?I have been living with the spread tank but figured since I got one coming might as well get it,or am I better off staying with my old tank,or leaving the new tank alone?I love this bike and hate messing with it.:think:
coat it. Pro Italia, the local LA dealer, did mine for me before it went on the bike. They used the same guy JC used. It's been two years and so far so good. You should be able to call either them or JC directly and arrange for them to do it. not the kind of thing you want to try at home unless it's your trade.

·
Registered
465 Posts
When you boil it down the decision becomes simple: If you don't coat it, the tank will eventually be ruined. If you do coat it, you stand a decent chance of it holding up for the life of the bike. Gotta coat it. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, have one of the vendors do it.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
It is very easy to do yourself with a little patience.
Matt just taught my 19 year old son to do the tank on my latest project bike.

Caswell
is only about $39. It comes with directions.

-M

·
Bon Vivant
11,720 Posts
another thing to consider is resale; a friend of mine is looking for a sport classic and the tank is one of the big issues - a deal breaker actually.
He wants to find a bike that has been coated because he figures that any bike with an uncoated tank is gonna cost him another couple of grand eventually.

Get it done and rest easy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can understand with and alloy or even carbon tank where this would be effective. With a composite (plastic) tank, the shape naturally changes too much with heat expansion and cooling contraction, especially where I live in New Mexico where we get really cold winters and really hot summers. I can't see the coating changing shape at the same rate/ammount as a plastic tank.

In fact, my dealer said that they have had issues with coated tanks for this very reason.

Sam

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've heard a couple reports of the coating failing and bubbling up, or coated tanks expanding. But, a whole lot of tanks have been coated and most seem to be doing fine. Not enough time has passed to determine whether coating is really an effective long term solution, but without coating your tank WILL deform again. So coating is worth a shot in my opinion. I've got a new tank on the way, and since it might be my last free replacement, I plan to have it coated. Considering the value of the bike and the cost of a new tank, it's relatively cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Let's hear from the guys who have had it done,whats the consensus?
Mine had deformed. Hung it up to dry for a couple of months (came back to size) and totally cleaned it, sent it to FrameCrafters for a coating and still fine over a year.

I'm prejudiced as I have known the owners for many years. Father/Son...Randy/Karsten Ilg. Have race with, partied with and generally enjoyed them.

Located in NW IL.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I had JC handle coating our new tank from DNA covered under warranty when it spread. As we have a custom paint job, even though the tank replacement was warrantied, the cost to get the tank re-painted with our custom scheme was still quite significant. Hence, coating was a no-brainer.

So the tank got coated back in December 2009 and we consistently store the bike with a full tank of ethanol rich gasoline :(. Current situation is no measurable spreading in the tank and no rippling or other surface deformaties.

I cannot think of *any* reason to not have a new tank coated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do it but make sure you do it 'properly'. I can do a lot of things (changed out forks, brakes etc. but this is not something I want to do myself and I don't want to experiment. Mine is a SE tank and who knows how long DNA will have these lying around as replacements. Screwed it up then it will eventually warp again (check out some old posts of people who have theirs coated and a year or so later the expansion starts all over again).

JC id mine a few years back. So far it has zero deformation and she still as tight as a ... (you can fill in the rest, again check the old posts as to the process that JC goes through before he coats each tank).

·
Registered
483 Posts
The tanks that I've seen reports of failing after being coated (and my second tank) were all professionally coated . At least two different companies did the coating and the deformation was the same in each case, so it's unlikely that the problem was due to poor workmanship in the application of the Caswell coating.

It should be understood that the vast majority of coated tanks haven't experienced a problem and it's still a viable short term solution. However, the fact that some have failed should underscore that coating is not a fool proof or long term solution. The only permanent solution is putting the plastic tank on a shelf and installing a tank made of a different material.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My dealer's service manager says they're sending tanks out to a place in San Francisco that uses a process different than Caswell. I don't remember the particulars, but it sounded more like a tank lining than a coating, and therefore not subject to cracking and other issues Caswell coated tanks can have.

Sounds like it costs about the same as what people here say they've paid to have their tanks Caswell coated. Anyone familiar with this?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pretty crazy that its all over the place,some work ,some don't.I see the JC process looks the part,but is his foolproof?tough decision,I'm flippin back and forth one this one.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Honestly I cannot understand why anyone would choose not to coat.
If you've had a tank go bad on you, why would you think it won't happen again? I understand the concerns, but the fact is if you fill your tank with ethanol laced fuel it will deform. It's just a matter of time.
Coat it properly and the odds your tank will last are much, much better!

·
Registered
53 Posts
My dealer's service manager says they're sending tanks out to a place in San Francisco that uses a process different than Caswell. I don't remember the particulars, but it sounded more like a tank lining than a coating, and therefore not subject to cracking and other issues Caswell coated tanks can have.

Sounds like it costs about the same as what people here say they've paid to have their tanks Caswell coated. Anyone familiar with this?
3M Scotchkote. A few have had it done. I can't report results just yet, since it was just applied in July. Fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts