Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 999r fila didnt come cleared over the decals from the factory. My tank is signed by hodgson. I was wanting to clear the tank to protect the sig, as its just sharpie. The tank still has the original caution decals on it and i think that adds to its originality. Should i just clear right over those too?
I wasalso considering clearing the whole bike to protect the decals. Hate to do something like that and take away from it. Its only original once

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'd lose the warning stickers and clear it.

t_bare

·
Registered
51 Posts
IMHO, rider signatures are definitely a "hit or miss" proposition, and probably hurt the value of a bike more than help it. Whoever buys your bike in the future may not be a huge Hodgson fan (who, let's face it, isn't exactly Kenny Roberts or Valentino Rossi). If you don't clear over it, some denatured alcohol cleans it up. If you do clear it, it's there pretty much forever, for better or worse.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
IMHO, rider signatures are definitely a "hit or miss" proposition, and probably hurt the value of a bike more than help it. Whoever buys your bike in the future may not be a huge Hodgson fan (who, let's face it, isn't exactly Kenny Roberts or Valentino Rossi). If you don't clear over it, some denatured alcohol cleans it up. If you do clear it, it's there pretty much forever, for better or worse.
Agreed, but Hodgson belongs to the FILA, just as Bayliss belongs to the XEROX. I also don't think that Jeremy searched a long time for the FILA with the intensions of selling it ;)

As most members said, I would also remove the warning decal before the tank get his clear coat. You can always buy the warning decal if you like.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
New tank and save the signed one...If the signature is that worth it to you...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed, but Hodgson belongs to the FILA, just as Bayliss belongs to the XEROX. I also don't think that Jeremy searched a long time for the FILA with the intensions of selling it ;)

As most members said, I would also remove the warning decal before the tank get his clear coat. You can always buy the warning decal if you like.
Agreed. The reason tnis bike was made was for ducatis 200th win, by hodgson. So the sig is for the good imo.
As far as worrying about resale.......ah that will be my great grand kids problem!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great plan with the grand kids !
If you did happen to want the name off for some reason later, it can be done. The signature is ON TOP of the original clear.
If you had to, the secondary clear that you have applied atop of the original, could be sanded through down to the signature, scuffing it off too. Care taken not to sand through the original clear into the base coat. Accidently breaking through the original clear is the only thing that may cause a ring to appear in the final finish, but mostly with metallic colors, not straight ones like red. Re-applying a clear top coat when finished would cover it all again without Neil, or any detection

1 - 11 of 11 Posts