Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect this has been discussed before, but I don't know how to find it, so please bear with me...:(

A couple of years ago, in a rare deviation from my V twin addiction, I bought a used Speed Triple. Great streetfighter, screaming for all kinds of mods. Not the least : a radical tail chop.:rolleyes:
My first chopped ride (California, dry season) felt like bystanders were throwing gravel at my back, and even if I couldn't remember crossing any wet patches, I found the back of my jacket centerlined with a dirt. :eek:
It didn't take too long before I un-chopped - sort of halfway, so that I could ride in peace again, i.e. focus on what's in front of me, without worrying about what is thrown at me from the back.

I wonder if that is a non-issue for all those who chop their SC, or if certain chop kits are less extreme, so that you're not being bombarded by rear tire projections:think:.
I agree that the SC tail is overly dramatic and unesthetic, but I'd still like to keep my back clean.

Karel

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JS,
Those look fine. Is this self made or a kit? Where did you get it?

A bit off topic, I see that you've lived with BM boxers. How does that go?
Some time ago I bought an "optimized" R1100S, and I admit that the bike's fast and has a great chassis, and is probably great to travel fast and far. But. The engine feels like electric, or like a piece of wood when compared to flesh and blood of a ducati engine or even a guzzi. Maybe just German v. Italian. What are your thoughts, impressions?

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I use the wasp chop kit, without the reflector on the bottom of the plate and my back does not get wet. I have found some water on the very rear of the seat on occasion, so a passenger may not fare so lucky.

Highly recommended if you like the bobtail look.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Karel, Well I think I have had just about all the bmw's. And to answer your question they have been very good to me. For fast high speed sport touring The brick 4cyl. is hard to beat. I did 30,000mi. in one year on my GT. After getting my driving record back in control, I now use a twin for that. Your right ,they are not Ducati's or Guzzi's but they work for me on the road. Both tail chop's are kind of home built. The tail lights are just a "lucas" type and the alum. backing plate is home made and the stainless steel lic. backing plate is a Storz street-tracker part. The same one can also be seen on my Sportster in the "i built a bike around a duc fender thread" in this sport classic forum.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
chop it!!! I rode through mud and didn't get a single drop on my back, and I don't have a hugger. Now the cowl is a different story... ;)

I also recommend the WASP kit... it's great because it comes plug and play, and if you ever want to customize it, it has the important hardware: the mount.

here's what I've done with mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
chop it!!! I rode through mud and didn't get a single drop on my back, and I don't have a hugger. Now the cowl is a different story... ;)

I also recommend the WASP kit... it's great because it comes plug and play, and if you ever want to customize it, it has the important hardware: the mount.

here's what I've done with mine.
Like I said, I recommend fitting the standard rear reflector..

Greg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts