Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys/gals this will be my 1st of many post both ranting and raving of my new purchase. I just bought a 1990 750 sport to play with and it is my 1st Ducati. I'm having a clutch master or slave issue right now as one of them is bleeding off thrusting me into traffic if neutral is not found right away, hahahahaha, not fun! My biggest issue at this point is finding a rear tire, I would guess that this being the ultimate Ducati site would be my best bet. The rear as you know is a 160/60/16. Any help would be great. And while I'm here I would also like to know where I can get rebuild kits for the clutch master and slave cylinders. Can you buy this stuff new? What simple upgrades can be done to make it a decent daily rider? What things should I expect and look for? Also last but not least, how in the hell do you get the choke lever off the clutch master cylinder?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The rear as you know is a 160/60/16. Any help would be great. And while I'm here I would also like to know where I can get rebuild kits for the clutch master and slave cylinders. Can you buy this stuff new? What simple upgrades can be done to make it a decent daily rider? What things should I expect and look for? Also last but not least, how in the hell do you get the choke lever off the clutch master cylinder?
Have some bad news for you.....there appear to be no more 160/60-16 tires left in the world. On a rare occasion, someone who was hording one in their garage may let it sell on eBay, but the last one I saw went for over $200 about two months ago. You may have to find a set of 17" wheels from an SS750 or SS900 and convert the bike to 17" wheels. There are some people who have been running a 170/60-16 or a 180/50-16 (I think those are the sizes), but I've heard mixed reviews of these. You can also find posts about alternate sized tires on the Paso Forum.

The clutch slave is built into the cover and there appears to be at least three different designs used in the Pantah. I'm not sure how many were used in the Sport, so you will have to follow DesmoDog's suggestion and go over to the Paso Forum and inquire in the Sport section of the website. You may be able to get a new o-ring for it through Ducati, or source one through an industrial wholesaler like McMaster-Carr. The piston may also still be available, but I'm not sure. If the clutch cover is pitted, you may need to source a good used cover or make friends with a machinist. If it is the clutch master cylinder, Ducati used the same "coffin" style master cylinders on many Ducatis (like the ST2) until at least 1998, but you can replace it with a newer design with a remote reservoir, like I did with my ST2 when I installed 2002 models for an ST2/ST4. If you find out that your master is bad, let me know because I may have a decent, usable spare from a Paso or my ST2 laying around.

To get the choke lever off of the master cylinder, you need to slide the electrical controls over so you can get to the two screws that attach the choke to the master cylinder. In this picture, the master is removed from the bar and you can see the position of the two threaded holes (don't mind the F'ed up top hole, the previous owner did that)...

As for a daily driver......just work out any bugs it has and ride it. The Pantah is a nice little engine and if maintained properly, it should last you a good long time without too many worries.....oh yeah, if the timing belts have not been replaced fairly recently, you may want to change those before you start riding it too much as a "just in case" thing. Breakign a belt will let the piston smack the valves....which is not a good thing. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts