Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Motorcycle horns have never been great. We all know that. The ST's are no exception. And I have had some issues with my horn over the last two years (easily fixable, just haven't bothered). Then I came across a deal from Twisted Throttle for an Air Horn set up. One of those Black Friday type deals. For less then $70 US, including the wiring harness (complete with relays) you could mount a great air horn that you wouldn't want to test indoors.
What do you all think?
Kicker #1: The deal is only good through 11/30/16.
Kicker #2: This retail company CLOSED on black Friday to give their employees more time with their families. (For you non-USA readers, that's the biggest Christmas shopping day of the year - just after our thanksgiving) I have a personal angst against this black Friday tradition as I feel it has cone to exemplify everything that us wrong with our society, so if a retail company is bucking against it, I want to support them.

·
Super Moderator
4,963 Posts
I have some air horns on mine. Just have to be a bit creative in mounting. I've mounted mine where the plastic too tray was located (the one towards the front of the seat). Definitely louder than stock!

I say go for it!

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
All the air horns I've ever had have a time delay between when I push the button and when it honks that I find unacceptable. When I need the horn I don't need it 2 seconds from now, that puts me half way over the trunk of the car that was backing out of the driveway.

·
Registered
856 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

I use the Stebel Nautilus on all my bikes. I've never noticed a delay in honking, and my ST horns have been separated, with the compressor mounted low and the horn higher, with PVC tubing connecting them.
I have accepted that they may have to be renewed after a couple years or so. Kind'a depends how much H2O and debris one accumulates into the horns, I believe.
I've gotten into the habit of "blowing out" my horns at the outset of each ride, when I get somewhere that I'm away from traffic. Serves both to eliminate swarf from the horns, and to assure me that they should work when I need 'em in a pinch. I suspect it may extend the lifespan of the horns, but that may be wishful thinking.
Can't tell you how many cell-phone hypnotized drivers they have immediately startled from la-la land as they have been drifting into my lane....

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Totally a fan of these horns. A little PITA to install, but in end worth it.

If I knew of this PIAA Sports Horn, I'd have considered it. No compressor. Seems to be plug and play, no need to separate the compress from the horn, install with existing wires. Seems a winner. Haven't heard one, however. Steve

https://www.amazon.com/85110-115db-400HZ-500HZ-Sports/dp/B00067BWBI

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Put a Stebel in some years ago, and it's worked like a champ. Had to cut the compressor apart from the horn, then connected them via tubing. The compressor went where the EPA canister used to live, and the horn is down below it. Even with a slight kink in the hose, no problems to date. Don't leave home without it.

Nothing like honking at someone and they turn around, not expecting a loud air-horn from a Ducati. In town, I always cover my horn switch, ready to let people know I'm here.

Ron

·
Premium Member
12,238 Posts
I don't do easy...
I mounted the trumpet on a rad hose with tie wraps and a safety wire just in case.

There is one air hose route for the hose if you mount the split compressor under the rear side panel (brake pedal side) Tight fit but doable.
the Air hose you use doesn't have to be HEAVY DUTY but don't cheap out either I used a braided clear hose cause that is what I found in the garage , and basic fittings will do, Plastic is a good choice and no real need for clamps a tie wrap will do.
Use silicone as a glue for the fittings just an added good measure.
Ask for street elbows (male one end then female the other end ) they are compact and may save a bend in the hose.
Whatever works!
Just get it mounted and USE it .
Great fun awakening a distracted driver.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Maybe better late than never?

This is the one I use on my ST4s, and I LOVE it! It's even louder than the Denali. Bolts right where the carbon canister was!
Stebel was the original compact air horn...

And at this price ($27.50 !!), I bought 2 just now!!! (My Stelvio horn sux)

https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690019-Nautilus-Compact-Black/dp/B00CMX20H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480514386&sr=8-1&keywords=nautilus+stebel
Totally a fan of these horns. A little PITA to install, but in end worth it.

If I knew of this PIAA Sports Horn, I'd have considered it. No compressor. Seems to be plug and play, no need to separate the compress from the horn, install with existing wires. Seems a winner. Haven't heard one, however. Steve

https://www.amazon.com/85110-115db-400HZ-500HZ-Sports/dp/B00067BWBI

Both of those have some horrible reviews. Very surprising.

·
Premium Member
12,238 Posts
differences about the claimed Db. levels, as to where the readings where taken 10 feet away ,or in an enclosed space.
And drill a small hole in the trumpet to allow colected moisture to drain .Lowest point right. wink.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I stuck a Stegel on my ST when I discovered I couldn't hear it at freeway speeds making me doubt anyone else could hear it either. The Ducati horn sounded like it was softly croaking while the Beemer horn made a soft moaning moo. A pain to install, but worth it when a cager looks like he just had a red hot poker shoved up his ass!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Put a Stebel in some years ago, and it's worked like a champ. Had to cut the compressor apart from the horn, then connected them via tubing. The compressor went where the EPA canister used to live, and the horn is down below it. Even with a slight kink in the hose, no problems to date. Don't leave home without it.

Nothing like honking at someone and they turn around, not expecting a loud air-horn from a Ducati. In town, I always cover my horn switch, ready to let people know I'm here.

Ron
I was able to ger my intact Stebel unit in this same location. It's worked reliable for many years now, with no detectable delay. Agree that it does get the sleepers to wake up!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Installed these PIAA Horns this weekend

An old thread but right on topic. While I have my ST3 apart I decided it was time to upgrade the horn to something better. I thought about the Stebel or other air horn brands. Doing some research I came across the PIAA Slender model horn set, as in two horns, a dual tone arrangement. Amazon made it easy to pull the trigger. Wiring up is an easy job, basically running two wires from the stock positive connection to each horns' positive connection, and the same for the negative connections, per the instructions. Also, no relay required or specified. A couple of flat bar kind of plates pick up some mounting points and attach to the flat bar of each horn. I am very happy with the the sound out of this set up from my garage test. Their narrow size works well with finding mounting spots. I'll see how they work out and hold up long term. If you are considering a horn upgrade these would be worth a look.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts