Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and could not find conclusive info on this - What is needed on threads of titanium rotor bolts? They come w/anti-seize but manual and good sense call for loctite on these bolts. The (2) can not be combined. Any advice(preferably good) would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Lots of differing opinions will be coming your way, but mine is to use anti-seize to prevent the threads from coming off with the bolt when down the road you take them off. Titanium loves to stick to steel or aluminum so don't put them in bare!

Now - titanium rotor bolts are not a forever mod - they need to be replaced after so many miles of hard use, far far sooner than the OEM bolts.

Anti-seize and proper torque will hold them in place, imho

·
Registered
61 Posts
There was a pretty extensive thread on this a few years back. i looked it up because I participated/contributed.
Thread began on 3/26/13 and was titled "MTS1200 brake disc retaining bolts"
Well worth a read-thru; hope it helps

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, thanks! Read it prior to posting, just read it again. The conclusion I draw is if using Ti, use 6A14V and confirm your (3) req's. Sounds like you recommend the SS. My dilemma is I want to try the Ti(already bought these from Proti) and want to confirm that anti seize is adequate for install. Bolts look like they have a preapplied coating of Loctite on threads. I was thinking of safety wiring for piece of mind.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looked at pro-ti website; their metallurgy and manufacturing both sound right.
Would suspect that whatever they are applying to the bolts is a combo of lube and locker; ask them...
If so and if you don't over-torque, suspect you'll be OK. I'd check 'em periodically for torque.
Safety wiring is never a bad idea, but your main concerns should be only that the bolts are of the correct alloy and manufacturing processes, and, by their claims, it sounds like they are.
Saving rotating weight is a desirable goal, you just need to be certain you aren't jeopardizing safety in the process.....
Have witnessed the results of some brake hardware failures and did not enjoy it one bit....
Endeth the sermon; my $0.02.............

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
If you trust the bolts enough to install them, you ought to consider that maybe they know what they’re doing. In my experience thread locker also acts as anti seize by creating a barrier against chemical reactions between dissimilar materials .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts