Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of replacing my tires on my SC. What are the current recommendations? The stock Pirellis are hard.

Can you go a tad wider on the rear?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm currently running the Bridgestone Battlax BT-016s in the stock size and I love them. The bike had Dunlop Qualifiers on it previously --- they were also great tires. The Bridgestones were cheaper, though, and just as good.

Not sure about going wider in the rear --- the stock 180 has been plenty wide for me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
+1 for the stock size

I have 3k miles on the Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 tires and I love them. You will be amazed how much better the bike turns. The grip is great too.

These tires in the stock size seem wider... the chain hits the edge sometimes but it is not a problem.

Lee C.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
On my last GT I had the Michelin pp Road 2CT's and liked them. After I use the stock Pirellis I'm going to put them on my new GT.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I have a 190 BTO2 on the rear of mine

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have Avon Storm ST's on my GT and love them. Great performance, mileage and outstanding in the wet. The 2CT's are very popular, and for good reason. Most any tire will greatly improve the handling over the stock hoops. I prefer the stiffer sidewall of sport touring tires on this kind of bike. It seems to help the suspension a bit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs front and rear on the PS.

Its been said before but worth repeating - night and day from OEM Pirelli.

First few Km's feel like riding on a knife edge after the stockers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I run the Michelin Pilot Powers - love 'em. After a track day on the stock Pirellis, I couldn't ditch them quick enough. Crap tires. The Pilots made a huge difference to the bike, but I also noticed they were quite sensitive to tire pressure changes, a 3 psi difference in the front tire was very noticable. Perhaps this has a lot to do with the bike's setup....
Also changed to Carozzeria rims when I upgraded the rubber. Another big improvement.

Seems to me that Ducati created this beautiful Sport Classic but expected the owners to tool around as posers and not really push the bike, too many performance shortcuts were made......

crap heavy spoke rims
very average front brakes
silly clip on position
super ugly mufflers
pointless gearing
stupid non adjustability on the front forks.....

the upside is that once these shortcomings are fixed, one truly has a brilliant motorcycle....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I run the Michelin Pilot Powers - love 'em. After a track day on the stock Pirellis, I couldn't ditch them quick enough. Crap tires. that once these shortcomings are fixed, one truly has a brilliant motorcycle....
Agreed, but I prefer the Dunlops. I have fixed the shortcomings as well, but I did hate the stock Pirellis. Thought maybe it was the Ducs "shortcomings" so put them on my Honda SuperHawk, found that it indeed was the tire....and took them off immediately. My son needed a set of tires on his Buell, used for sport touring only, and they sucked on that bike too. No idea what they are good for.

·
Banned
210 Posts
I prefer the stiffer sidewall of sport touring tires on this kind of bike. It seems to help the suspension a bit.
Agreed , its all to personal tastes and uses . Id say it all comes down to how much you use it I guess . I reckon any sport touring tyre these days grips better than the nippo slippo grip of 20 or 30 years ago , lol . They are all that good. I grew up on crossplys when they just overheat and go rock hard the next day , or they were race compound in which case the tread was either melted or gone like a marshmellow , and it really gets overdone to death, tyre choices and selections . Its a tyre not a fashion accessory , or is it ? lol.

The only bad tyre I know now is a bald one :) If its got tread and reasonably fresh its AOK :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Agreed , its all to personal tastes and uses . Id say it all comes down to how much you use it I guess . I reckon any sport touring tyre these days grips better than the nippo slippo grip of 20 or 30 years ago , lol . They are all that good. I grew up on crossplys when they just overheat and go rock hard the next day , or they were race compound in which case the tread was either melted or gone like a marshmellow , and it really gets overdone to death, tyre choices and selections . Its a tyre not a fashion accessory , or is it ? lol.

The only bad tyre I know now is a bald one :) If its got tread and reasonably fresh its AOK :)
Well, there's no question that you're right: today's sport tires are amazing compared to the tires of 20 to 30 years ago, but then, the bikes of today demand a lot more of their tires than the bikes of 20 to 30 years ago.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Pirelli Corsa III, and nothing else for me.

But it all depends where you live and ride: if you live in an area with flat, straight roads, get a hard tire like a battle-ax, or a pirelli starda, that way it will last you a while and you don't really need a sticky tire. If you live in a mountainous or coastal area with really twisty roads, get a sticky tire like a michelin 2CT or the Corsa III.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yeah, there are a couple of different "types" of bikes here. SC and GT. With the dual compound stuff out there, you can get the best of the mileage/performance world.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another vote for the Michelin Pilot 2CTs. I read many a thread about tires on this board before deciding on these for my SC. I ended up going with the Pilot Roads instead of the Pilot Powers, as I use my bike for commuting and occiasionally get caught in rain. Bleh. BUT the Pilot Road 2Ct's have excellent wet-weather traction.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Replaced GT1000 OEM Tires

I replaced my GT1000 OEM tires with Bridgestone BT021. Very happy.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
i run the pilot power 2CTs and think they're great - but agree with DADDA that i guess like most tires they are sensitive to minor pressure changes..
it's hard to say which tyres are better though, since most of us haven't tried many different tyres on this model bike.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I put Metzeler M3s on last time, and honestly I think they are great tires for sporty street riding. But truly, the M1s I had previously were also good enough for my type of street riding. I personally would not go to a Z06 because then you are getting into the sport touring range - appropriate for those who do higher mileage but don't expect to push the limits on the street or go to the track.

As garcia points out, not many of us have enough experience with different tires to be able to really compare the options based on experience. However, based on the published tire comparisons like the one a few months back in Sport Rider, if I had to replace the M3s right now I would definitely choose the BT-016s.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts