Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
comrade moderator
27,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need a tire sticky...who's runnin what? How do you ride? How do you like them/would you buy them again?

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I've been running the Pilot Road 3's and 4's. Great traction in both dry and wet conditions. Great mileage. A few weeks ago I decided to try the Michelin Power RS. The real test will be at NeMC, but so far these are great tires! The profile is a bit different than the Pilot Roads...the bike feels a lot more nimble. Very sticky tires (great traction for braking). Time will tell but I'm not expecting a long life out of these.

·
comrade moderator
27,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My ST4S is wearing not-so-fresh PR4's. I just had a nice front end push on a corner I've been around a whole lotta times on various bikes. To it's credit it went slowly and I was able to put more weight on the inside peg and throttle out of it but these tires won't be on the bike for much longer. :eek:

I am either going to stick with my much-loved Avons, or perhaps try the Duckman-Approved Bridgestone BT023's. I do tend to get right after it in the twisties.

·
Registered
211 Posts
3rd set of Angel GTs. I don't get exceptional mileage (around 4K aggressive riding) but I get exceptional grip without squaring the tire like a pure sport. Plus they don't fall off when they're worn.

Scott L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,626 Posts
I'm riding with Dunlop Roadsmart III's for the first time this year and have 3,200 miles on them so far. I've been happy with them, not as quick to turn in as some of the sportier tires but solid performer.(good in one torrential downpour as well). Expecting to get 5-6000 miles out of these.
Been running Angel gt's(2 sets) prior to these ,had the front push a couple of times and were toast by 3,500 miles. I thought the original Angel St's had better turn in/aggressive profile but we're toast even quicker.
(Did I mention $90 in rebates with Dunlop this spring!)
P.S. I weigh 275lbs, your results may vary ! Ha!

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Still loving the Angel ST. Toast in 3500 miles???? My Dunlop Q3s last longer than that! The Angel STs probable have 1500ish miles on them and I can still see some of the goofy Angel / Devil tread graphic on the sides. And yes, they are scrubbed to the edges, minus 1/4" or so...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm running Metzler Roadtec 01, good in the rain, and plenty sticky enough through the corners. Can't speak to the longevity yet.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,626 Posts
I have always found the mileage claims from these tire discussions way off base from my experience with similar bike (ST 2) and same tires (AGT, PR 3...).
I check tire pressure before each ride and ride at a spirited pace. I suspect my weight, road make up, occasional track day, etc. , detract from my mileage.
One shop owner asked if I road dirt bikes and was used to engine braking vs. using the brakes to adjust for corner speed.
8500 miles on any of these tires is a myth for me, I consider 5,000 a victory!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Metzeler 01 are lasting great. I'm up to 6k miles and they have at least a few thou left to go.'

bob

·
Administrator
12,892 Posts
I had been running the Pilot PR4 and didn't really care for them. I found a crazy deal on the Bridgestone S21 where you buy one and get one free so I thought I couldn't go wrong. These things make me a hero! What a great tire for sticky, fun riding. I should have bought about 4 sets. I have about 1000 miles on them so far and they still look perfect but I don't expect to get the kind of miles the Pilots give (and I don't care based on my much better ride enjoyment).

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
PR 2's was the best tire I ever put on my ST. Mileage was a little on the short side, they did great in the mountains! :wink2:

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
406 Posts
my Neighbor has a new set of Avon Storms on his Yammy sporty bike , recommended by his brother ( FJR ) who swears by them , I have ridden with my neighbor and he is hardcore in the twisties/sweepers .... no chicken strips at all , he really like these tires , plus they come with road hazard warranty and a guaranteed service ( mileage ) life , not sure how many miles but still .... about same price as the PR4's .... anybody tried them on the ST3 ?
Craig

·
comrade moderator
27,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a set ready to put on my ST4 and expect greatness.

I used the Avon Supersport tires at ECM last year, and the Avon Trailriders for the rest of the season with terrific results.

I'm very impressed with Avon tires.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I've got a set ready to put on my ST4 and expect greatness.

I used the Avon Supersport tires at ECM last year, and the Avon Trailriders for the rest of the season with terrific results.

I'm very impressed with Avon tires.
Pics, what do they look like?

Craig

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Here's a little subjective ranking of tires I've used in recent years. I keep it on my iPhone to help me remember.

And yes, that's a "minus two stars" I gave the PR2's. :)

Tires

Dunlop Q3 ******

Bridgestone RS-10 ******
Bridgestone BT020 *
Bridgestone BT014 **
Bridgestone BT016 ****
Bridgestone S20 *****
Bridgestone S21 *****
Bridgestone T30 ***

Michelin Pilot Power **
Michelin Pilot Road 2 -*
Michelin Power Pure ****