Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
well i just put a new corsa 3 on 300 miles ago(rear) and was shopping for a front. found the rear flat with a tack nail in it the other day. so now i am shopping for new f&r tires. i liked the corsa 3, but i found a deal on a pair of super corsa's, for $250. which is better? never seen the supers

strictly street use, but i do like corners

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think that is a smokin deal. From my understanding the supercorsa is a track tire but still DOT. Suppose to wear quickly. I am on carsa iii's and love them, to bad they are expensive.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
That is an amazing deal on Supercorsas, which I also just happened to mount last week. Unfortunately I don't have a qualified opinion yet since Chicago weather has sucked. I too picked up a nail--in a two week old Rennsport rear. The only good part was that I got in over 1,000 miles during those first two weeks of May, including one 535 mile day of SW Wisconsin twisties.

I had been planning on trying the Pilot Power 2CT's ($268 from Hardracing), but the Pirelli's were reasonable and same-day available when I got my flat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Jeremy,

Care to share the site where the deal is from. I need some new track tires. I should have bought some before last Saturday, but didn't. My front slid and down I went. Now it's going to cost me more to get the bike back in shape. What sucks was, I was going to retire the bike from track duty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
for 250 I would go with the Supercorsas'. If you do just make sure you give them some time to warm up before you really get on them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
use street tires for the street... and track tires for the track...

if you drop it in a parking lot on a cold morning your "savings" will be negated...

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Or, since not everyone wants to buy a second set of wheels or pay to swap tires, they can just be mindful on cold tires.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
263 Posts
Or, since not everyone wants to buy a second set of wheels or pay to swap tires, they can just be mindful on cold tires.
That is not good advice... Race tires will likely never reach operating temps on a casual street ride. Throw in a puddle of coolant, oil, sand, diesel, cold day, misc other factors you have no control over, etc and you can find yourself being slammed into the pavement in a split-second whether you are careful or not.

If someone needs to swap tires that often they should have the tools to do it in the garage at home. Once you've done a few sets, it goes really fast.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Try Motorycle Superstore .. they usually have good prices on the Corsa III's, and they even have a sale going on right now which is even a better price than normal. They also offer free shipping.
Normal price for a set when not on sale is $310.00 to your door with the no-shipping charge deal.

I agree ... track tires for the track, street tires for the street. As far as a tire that excels in both arenas for most people, you cannot beat the Corsa III's.

Link:
www.motorcyclesuperstore.com

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Thinking street-only tires protect you from oil, coolant and sand is the irresponsible statement. I use my tires, but I'm careful when the circumstances dictate and don't have problems.

There are combination tires suitable for both street and track. Those need to be warmed up, which most definitely CAN be done.

I do almost all of my own maintenance and repair, including the last belt replacement and valve adjustment. I've changed tube-type tires, but I'm not ready to buy a bead breaker, air compressor, balancer and the rest of the tools and supplies necessary to do the job. A lot of the people on this board aren't lucky enough to have the tools, knowledge and space to perform these tasks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I never said they "protect" you, but they are vastly superior... and Supercorsas are not a dual-purpose tire, they are DOT certified race tires, big difference. "Street legal" doesn't mean it's intended for street-only use which is what the OP's post was about to begin with.

·
comrade moderator
27,333 Posts
Racing rules. Supersport type classes require "street legal DOT approved" tires.
So tire manufacturers make street legal tires with just enough trad to gain a DOT approval, but they really are race tires.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Racing rules. Supersport type classes require "street legal DOT approved" tires.
So tire manufacturers make street legal tires with just enough trad to gain a DOT approval, but they really are race tires.
Good to know. So would the super corsa's be better for a tack day over the corsa III's, and if so sc0 or sc1?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Supercorsas would be better for a track day but regular Corsa III's will be fine. sc0's are like qualifying tires--sc2's will be enough. Like I said, I bought the Supercorsas because I got a great price and could put them on immediately. They work great, but I was planning on Pilot Power 2CT's if I hadn't picked up the nail.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So supercorsa's for track no street, corsa III's for both, and rosso's for street no track?

No sc2's, only sc0/sc1 rears and sc0 fronts available. Unless I switch to metzeler racetec which are k0,k1,k2 rears and k0,k1 fronts available.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
This is a soap box subject of mine. Most people have way too sticky tires for the intended use and skill combo of the rider. I have tracked on Pilot Powers and Diablo Rosso's and they are good enough to run at the front of the advanced group. If you buy utlra sticky tires for the street at best you are throwing away money at worst you will fall off because DOT race tires work best in a heat range that is beyond the skill level of most riders ont he road and if not would be dangerously irresponsible. In addition the compound is designed for only so many heat cycles so the tires go off pretty early on the road. I have a review of the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's on my site

1 - 20 of 31 Posts