Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked before but I am days away from new tires for the ST and need a little imput. Found a great deal (for Canada anyway) on the following

Michelin Pilot Road
Metzler Z6
or
Conti Road Attacks

The michelins or the Metzelers are both $105 front and $140 rear while the Contis are $115 and $155 (dealer doesn't stock them). All prices are in Cdn$.

But the real question.....which to get??????

Paul
ST4
"Francesca"

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I say try the Continental Road Attack tires. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at how superbly the ST handles with the Contis!

I love my set! Almost 4,000 miles on them now and they still show little sign of wear. I've convinced a few others to try Road Attacks as well and so far, I haven't had any negative comments in return. Only positive about how well the Contis stick and how fast they turn into the corners. :D

P

·
0 Posts
From what I've seen between two of my friends, one who rides a VFR 800 mounted Pilot Roads and ZX-11 mounted Z6, both bike regularly used for long distance commuting to work, Z6 had more life. As for Continental, hehe I don't know anyone who rides on them, not to say they are not good tires. I'm sure they are. I just don't know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Pilot Roads that came stock on my ST were anemic in comparison to the Conti Road Attacks. After 3500 miles my opinion remains the same - they ROCK!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Turbo is a right.......

I've just put Continental Road Attacks on my ST3. I have Michelin Pilot Powers on my MV Agusta.

I think that the Road Attacks are the best road tyre I have used. I'd say they are better than Michelin's (Pilot Sports or Pilot Powers, which are both good). Pilot Roads are mediocre.

I was massively impressed by the Conti's for twisties and high speed sweepers, and for grip under hard braking from speed. They turn in very quickly and give excellent feedback etc.

I haven't experienced them in the wet, but the deep profile suggests they would be good.

I'd recommend that you give the Conti's a try, even though they are a little more expensive - but good tyres and good brakes are worth a bit extra!!..

Doc

;) :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Based on advice received from you guys here on Duc.MS, I just bought a Conti Road Attack 190/50 17. I can't tell you much about it yet.
I took the bike for a test ride yesterday. Aside from the initial new tire slipperiness, I tried to loose traction while leaning on a turn (like a basic power slide) and considering the 35 F temp and less than 10 miles on the tire, the tire did just as good as my old Michelin Pilot. Very impressive. That was my main worry, that it wouldn't give me the grip while I ride somewhat aggressively. So, so far so good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The way it is explained in a catalog I have:
"Road Attack" which is the Sport Touring model, and the "Sport Attack" which is their full blown sport tire.
Hope this helps.

MF

·
Registered
67 Posts
Doc,
Indeed the Pilot Power is a great tire, I use them on my track day NSR. But the most mileage I can get out of a Pilot rear on my 4S is 2,500 miles. And no I don't do burn outs! I would be interested to hear what you get for mileage?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, my Pilot Powers are new, so I don't have mileage data. 2500 miles is pushing the limits of acceptability tho. I am so impressed thusfar, I may run thru a few sets on my Ducati, but stick with a longer wear tire on my Bimmer.

What pressured do you run at on both road and track?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Are the Continentals available in Australia at all? - I'm using Pilot Roads at present but will need new tyres in about 4 - 5000 ks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts