Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new to me '92 900 ss. Love the bike, the previous owner put some JE high comp pistons, Staintune headers, Feracci carbon pipes etc on her.
I just had the valves done, and changed the blets, plugs, engine oil, brake and clutch fluid too.

I'm wanting to put some new rubber on my fine lady, the current tires are old and dry. I'm wanting something that will last(dual compound ?) and will not break the bank. My wheels are stock as well.
FYI, I work at a motorcycle dealership ( not Duc though) and I can get "hook-ups" as far as discounts.
So guys, what is the hot set up and sizes ?

Thanks in advance for your advise.
Lucas

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
+1 Michelin

I have the Power Pures. I like them more than the Pilot Powers. Pirellis are good too. Get the proper size for a 5.5" rim: 180/70. 120/70 front. You'll have to get a sport touring tire if you want more mileage. Beeutiful bike!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Power Pures. I like them more than the Pilot Powers. Pirellis are good too. Get the proper size for a 5.5" rim: 180/70. 120/70 front. You'll have to get a sport touring tire if you want more mileage. Beeutiful bike!
Thanks Joe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
FWIW I have had great performance and excellent durability from my Bridgestone battle axe 023's

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
As far as street use what differences have you noticed between the Pilot Pures and Pilot Powers?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I like the Pilot Road 2's, I used them for street and track, and they are dual compound, last a lot longer than Powers

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
As far as street use what differences have you noticed between the Pilot Pures and Pilot Powers?
The lighter weight construction seems to make them turn more easily (a good thing with the truckish turn-in of the carbed SS) and they feel a bit more compliant over the bumps. They also seem like they are wearing better.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've been running Pilot Road 3's for awhile now. I'm more of a "sport touring" kind of a rider, so they work well for me. Prior to that, I ran several sets of Avon Storm Ultras. I've been very happy with both.

The most important thing is to be honest with yourself regarding how you ride. If you wear out several sets of knee pucks every year, my tire choice won't work for you. Conversely, if you ride like me, it makes no sense to spring for short-lived track rubber. Not that I just putter along, but "sport touring" tires have all the grip I will ever need for my most aggressive street riding, and my bike will never see the track. So, think about how you ride. That's the most important factor to consider.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
The lighter weight construction seems to make them turn more easily (a good thing with the truckish turn-in of the carbed SS) and they feel a bit more compliant over the bumps. They also seem like they are wearing better.
Thanks. I'll give them a hard look when my SS100DS needs tires.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get the proper size for a 5.5" rim: 180/70. 120/70 front.
I believe the CR has only a 4.5" wide rim, and proper tire sizes for that model are actually 120/60 and 160/70... ;)
I put a set of Bridgestone BT016s on my '95 CR a few months ago and just love 'em. Totally transformed the handling and ride of my bike. Turn-in was improved about 500%.
Very nice bike - best of luck with it!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I believe the CR has only a 4.5" wide rim, and proper tire sizes for that model are actually 120/60 and 160/70... ;)
I put a set of Bridgestone BT016s on my '95 CR a few months ago and just love 'em. Totally transformed the handling and ride of my bike. Turn-in was improved about 500%.
Very nice bike - best of luck with it!
I figured someone might assume it was a CR because it has a 1/2 fairing. However, it has an aluminum swingarm, which was for the 5.5" wheel. Ducati did not make CRs in 1992. According to Ian Falloon, they were introduced in the U.S. in 1994 ;).

·
Aspiring back to a dirt donk
19 Posts
I'm on Pirelli diablo rosso II"s....awsome tire's as long as mileage isn't a issue:rolleyes:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I figured someone might assume it was a CR because it has a 1/2 fairing. However, it has an aluminum swingarm, which was for the 5.5" wheel. Ducati did not make CRs in 1992. According to Ian Falloon, they were introduced in the U.S. in 1994 ;).
Oops. :eek: My apologies. One of these days I may actually remember to put my glasses on while reading the forum. :rolleyes:
Thanks for (nicely) straightening things out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts