Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been a lot of talk lately abut tires, but no one has mentioned performance in rain (I ride year round in SoCal). I'm still on the originals, and wear is good (6000+ miles) but the back seems to get pretty squirmy in very little water. Ultimate dry performance isn't my aim, I need excellent all-around.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
I had Dunlp 207s that where pretty good, but I´m not sure they make them any more. Maybe Dunlop 220´s..

Michellin Pilot Sports are suppose to be a good "medium-fast" tire, but i don´t really like them on the track.

Pirelli make the Diablo or Diablo Strada which is pretty good in the wet. Maybe the new Scorpion Sync? Those are standard on the new ST´s aren´t they.

I´d go with something that was moderatly sporty, but more of a road tire. I´ll definatly NOT recommend Supercorsa or Racetek. They are soft, sure, but have no treads.

//amullo

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have Pilot Powers on my ST4 and did a weekend jaunt with a bunch of guys. We went into the coastal mountains in Northern California and hit a drizzly rain. I was on a fairly twisty mountain road and was having trouble keeping my balance. The front end washed out once and had to put my foot down. It seemed the other fellows were doing better than I was. I was the only one with Pilot Powers. My tires still had a good amount of tread on them also. It was especially tricky if I hit the stripes in the middle of the road. They were very slippery. I dont remember having that much trouble before with other tires, but I dont do alot of riding in the rain any more.

Mike

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Strange, I've always had great results with them in the rain.

What pressure are you using? I run them 2.1-2.2/2.3-2.4 bar (~31-32/34-35 psi)

Tom

·
Registered
208 Posts
st2lemans said:
Strange, I've always had great results with them in the rain.

What pressure are you using? I run them 2.1-2.2/2.3-2.4 bar (~31-32/34-35 psi)

Tom
+1

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pilot Powers in the rain

Curious about the m being slippery. I am finding the m amongst the stickiest tires I have ridden, along with the Battlax. But my rear slid during a slow but steep corner when it hit some road patch material. I found that a bit disconcerting.

Any others notice slipperiness with the Pilot Power? Otherwise, I am hooked on this tire.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have been very impressed with the Pilot Powers on dry roads. They have a great feel to them and they stick through the corners well. I do run race tires on my 916 track bike, so I do know a good tire when I exprience it, and the Pilot Powers are probably the best street tire in the dry that I have ridden on.

I was running 32/36 psi on my excursion in the rain. It could be the road was very slippery that day. Other people were slipping around also, but after my almost fall, I let them go ahead and didnt try to keep up with them. Maybe I just hit a real slippery section.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rain Tyres

I've been riding the stock Pilot Roads everyday - rain or shine here in Seattle and they work just great - and it has rained a lot this year. Since I need a great all round tyre for commuting as well as some fun, these seem to do the trick - plus they seem to last longer than those sticky rubber tires that cost a lot more. I've had them step out once or twice, especially on slow speed curves when you hit oil or road patch, but that's going to happen to any tire. Just make sure you don't put too much lean into it. Previously I was on Metzler Tourance, also a good all round weather tire - don't know if they make these for the duc, as I had them on a GS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am scared of the MP's. The standard tires on my 2002 were dangerous and caused me several screaming in fear moments. Have you looked at the AVONs? They have been the best for me so far (rain, sun, sleet, etc...). I think Turbo is running the Conti Road Attacks? with great success?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
airkitty said:
I am scared of the MP's. The standard tires on my 2002 were dangerous and caused me several screaming in fear moments. Have you looked at the AVONs? They have been the best for me so far (rain, sun, sleet, etc...). I think Turbo is running the Conti Road Attacks? with great success?
Sure am! :D

A little over 4,000 miles on the Contis so far and I'm still in awe of them. I've ridden a lot in the rain as well and they still stick like glue. I still have a lot of rubber left on the rear, so I expect to get a full 6,000+ miles out of this pair. I am definitely sticking with Continental Road Attacks from now on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been very pleased with the Pirelli Diablo Corsas. I have much more confidence in them then the OEM Pilot Roads. I have found them to be substantially better than the Pilot Road in both wet and dry performance. They are much stickier and also the ride is more compliant. Turn in also is quicker. I have been caught out in several heavy downpours and they track well in the wet and seem to be able to channel away a lot of water. Tire life seems to be about the same as the Pilot Roads...which for me is about 3-4k miles on the rear. I have not yet tried the Contis or Avons so I cannot compare but may do so because I would like to be able to get a little longer tire life.

·
7,733 Posts
st2lemans said:
Very scary tires, wet or dry.

I got rid of them long before they were worn out, they were so bad.

Tom

I agree. I have a set of Avons St45/46's waiting to be spooned on in May. I experienced very odd sliding sensations two or three times at lower to mid speed during sharp cornering on perfectly dry, clean and warm pavement with warm tires. Very disconcerting to say the least.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have Pilot Powers on my MV and found them Ok in the wet - but I was not attempting track performance on the bends, and the road was course surface that drained well.

Have Continental Road Attacks on my Ducati - but little wet road experience on these - anyone got views on wet weather performance from Conti's ?????

Doc

DocMV

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have had extremely good luck with Pirello Diablos in the rain. We took a trip two years ago to North Carolina (Deals Gap et. all.) where it rained every day so we were riding in the wet constantly. The Diablos felt great and have made me a believer.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I never felt comfortable on the stock tires but switched to Avons and love them. I'm due for a new set and may try the Conti's based on Turbo's success.

As a rule, ALWAYS avoid paint stripes on wet roads. Any tire will slide on them. Also, tar snakes/patches can be equally slippery. The center of the lane can also accumulate fluid drippings from vehicles and if the center of the lane is crowned from wear, riding over the outside of the crown on a turn greatly reduces available grip because of the off-camber angle. Often times the best line in the wet can be around the outside. Many turns are slightly banked to help shed water and the outside will be visibly drier. There is less margin for error on the outside so you must be careful not run too wide and end up on the outside stripe. Until you are very comfortable riding on wet roads, don't ever get lured into trying to keep up with faster riders. You're much closer to the limit on wet roads than dry and will quickly find yourself in trouble.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts